Seborrheic dermatitis

BeautyPsycho

Ugh! I have it on my scalp (actually almost on my neck... it kinda goes from the bottom of my head to my neck..) and it's freakin' annoying!!! And itchyyy... oh how itchy!!! Especially when I'm nervous or stressed out...
thmbdn.gif
and it gets red...
My Dr. prescribed selenium sulfide (2.5%) shampoo/lotion thing... and it helps for some time, and then just stops working...
ssad.gif

Anyone else has it? Did you find anything that works? Anything at all?!
thmbdn.gif

Nepenthe

I every once in a while, I'll get a flare of up ezcema on my legs - so I can relate to that maddening itch.
noworry.gif

Have you been for any allergy testing? Even though it's not the same kind of dermatitis, going for allergy testing has really helped me. Keeping my allergies in check, has really helped minimze the frequency of the episodes.

I've heard that SD can be triggered by gluten intolerance in some people as well.

Nepenthe

Well, it's not major as in something that's life threatening - thankfully.
smiles.gif

For me, it's major because as much as I would try not to scratch - I'd wake up in the morning with raw skin because I'd be scratching in my sleep. And with the way my skin scars, that's just not cool.

*puts on health care worker hat* Dermatitis is by definition, irritation/inflammation of the skin - so my question to your doctor would be what's causing the irritation? Sometimes there is no obvious reason, but if you can get to the source of that irritation and either moderate/reduce/remove it - why not?

When I was younger, I used to get it on my arms around my elbows. My doc put my on topical corticosteroids, an.d I used them for years.. and what they don't tell you is that long term use can cause the skin to thin. Now that I know what to avoid or limit my exposure to, I don't need the medicated cream anymore - even when it flares up.

I'm all for symptom relief, but figuring out the why is important to me.. because meds (all sorts) can have side-effects you don't hear about until after the fact.

If it keeps bothering you, do a bit of research and go see your doctor again. Sometimes you'll get different info when you go in informed.
smiles.gif

NatalieMT

I think I had something similar, I don't remember my doctor giving me a specific name for it but it made the back of my scalp very dry and itchy. With these nasty scaly patches. Luckily it's gone away though now but it used to be very on and off and flare up at nothing!

I do still have the stuff I was prescribed. It's called Locoi Scalp Lotion with the active ingredient 'hydrocortisone butyrate'. I remember it was really cooling and stopped the itch aswell as the problem all together in the end.

Hope you're able to find a fix, I can imagine you're really suffering. Itching is SO annoying. Sending hugs your way! Xxx