Selling and buying used textbooks for college

wannabelyn

Hi girls, I'm asking on behalf of a friend who isn't tech savvy and doesn't rely much on forums, I do because I seem to get answers to what I want to know from forums.

Apart from Amazon, what other sites can you recommend to sell 2nd hand textbooks easily? Also apart from Amazon are there any reliable sites you recommend for buying them.

THANKS!!!

Simply Elegant

I know some schools have university run bookstores that sell for less and buy them back. Your friend could see about that? I know other used book stores will buy them back as well. I'm not sure about sites though.

alka1

same here ^ I buy and sell mine at Half.com all the time. Fast and easy, never had any problems
smiles.gif

MACATTAK

I've always sold them on Ebay, and made a lot more than my school would ever offer. You can also buy them there too. Can someone tell me how much fees are on Half? Maybe I should try that site.

bcsweetascandy

This site, Textbooks | College Textbooks | New Textbooks | Used Textbooks | College Textbooks | Cheap Textbooks, is really good site because it compares the prices of used textbooks across many different sites so you can find the best bargain. Also, ebay is a really good place to get textbooks...I just purchased a textbook from ebay for $9.00 :). Another good tip is to try and find International editions of textbooks online...they are soo much cheaper. As far as selling your textbooks back, in my experience, the college-run bookstore will gip you...you're likely to get more money back selling online or attempting to post an announcement around campus with your textbook(s) for sale. Good luck!

kdemers1221

i use chegg.com to get my books for school. pretty much they rent out textbooks for a fraction of what it costs to buy them. they offer 3 different time frames for rental... semester, quarter and summer. when your rental period is up.. mine is always way after the quarter has ended... you print out the prepaid ups shipping label stick it on a box and drop it off at a ups store. its super easy and saves the hassel of selling the books back while not wasting a ton a money. my first 2 years of college i bought books from the bookstore or online and my school wouldn't buy them back leaving me with books i didn't want or need. at least this way i know i can get rid of the book when i'm done. i would for sure check it out.

Cinci

I sold my books by posting a flier on the bulletin boards at the college.. I was also usually able to sell almost all of them in one shot, since whomever contacted me was usually in the same program as I.

kaliraksha

I sell my textbooks on Craigslist... no fees, I usually meet on campus with students on my way to class... so definitely a public place.

kdemers1221

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaDaSs llTiNall
chegg.com is cool they also plant a tree everything you rent sell or buy.

i totally forgot about that but yeah. everytime you buy sell or rent a book they plant tree. def. a cool way to help the environment.

X4biddenxLustX

I've heard of great deals on ebay for textbooks. A high school teacher of mines was complaining about how there weren't enough science books for the class. She ended up buying one for a great deal on ebay. Plus it's a very popular site that a ton of people visit all the time.

Slightly off topic, but has anyone considered xeroxing a whole book for school? A co-worker of mines told me her daughter in college did that and saved quite a bit of money on the really expensive hard to get books.

astronaut

I normally buy my books directly from Amazon since their new price is the same as the bookstore's used, plus no tax! I don't like to deal with individual sellers but I've recently purchased some books from half.com and saved over $150 compared to Amazon and I'm sure loads more compared to the bookstore.

I think when it comes to selling, putting up fliers around campus seems to be successful because every time I've tried to call someone for a book, they have already sold it. No shipping and no middleman! Unfortunately for me, I tend to hoard my books and only decided to start selling them now. Some of the books I have, the professors in my school don't even use anymore so I had to go online to sell them. I sold my first book on half.com for $40 and they took away $6
ssad.gif

Latest posts