Seminars and Lessons, a Quick Guide

martygreene

This is for all the aspiring artists out there. Please, listen up- when those of us who are working in the field tell you that you need to take class/seminar on something, or that you aren't ready for the jobs you are doing, please do not feel that we are trying to discourage you from becoming an artist. We've been there too, and if someone hadn't told US back in the day that we weren't up to par, we'd never be doing what we are now. Remember, it's not just your neck on the line- you owe it to your clients. Whether they are brides or models, it's their lives and careers too which you are effecting. An up-an-coming model can fail if her portfolio doesn't represent her properly due to poor makeups. The memory and acutality of a lovely wedding can be ruined by a dis-satisfied bride.

Here are some resources to help you find the training you need to succeed in this business.

Where can I find classes and seminars for industry professionals?
The Powder Group: Offers a variety of wonderful classes, including classes on foundation blending and color theory, feature specific classes, period makeups, airbrush makeups, body-art, a 101 makeup artistry 4-day intensive, and inter-industry topics. Most classes are held in New York City.

Industry Cosmetics: Located in Toronto, ON Canada. Offers a vairety of courses including airbrush, advanced airbrush, body-art, genre specific makeups, ethnicity specific makeups, and more.

Temptu: Offers brand-specific airbrush makeup classes at their New York City studio.

Kett Cosmetics: Offers brand-specific airbrush makeup classes in a variety of US Cities.

Tobi Britton's Professional Workshops: Offers a variety of classes including her "Makeup Bootcamp", Bridal makeups, mature makeups, vintage makeups, and more. Located in New York City.

Kevin-James Bennett's Picture Perfect Workshops: Offering a variety of 1-3 day intensives with multi-Emmy award winning makeup artist Kevin-James Bennett. Located in New York City.

Last Looks: Offering a wide variety of makeup classes and workshops in major cities around the US. Classes are taught by working, renowned makeup artists in the entertainment industry.

Full-length Courses and Programmes
Dick Smith's Basic and Advanced Makeup Courses: Ledgendary hollywood makeup artist and SFX genius Dick Smith offers two correspondence courses in 3D makeup and SFX. Basic course is open to everyone, regardless of skill level and experiance. The Advanced course is for those working in the field or who are truely passionate. You will need to complete an informal review of your work and/or an informal interview prior to acceptance into the course. Courses are 100% completed at home, as a distance-learning class.

North Carolina School of the Arts: School of Design and Production: Offers both an 4-year undergraduate (BFA) and a 3-year graduate (MFA) program in Wig and Makeup Design for theatre. Their program is one of only two available with this specialty in the USA, and is one of the most well recognised in the world. Anyone interested in persuing theatrical makeup and/or wig design should consider this school. Located in Winston-Salem, North Carolina.

Also, please be aware of scams and faux schools
Of particular interest, is the scam that is Dawn til Dusk, and it's offshoots. For expanded info on the DTD problem, please read the following: http://p082.ezboard.com/fmakeupandre... D=8074.topic

martygreene

I added info on Dick Smith's correspondence course, and the North Carolina School of the Arts' programmes, as they are definately worth noting.

I'm considering adding a listing of makeup school which are well-known/respected, though there are many existing listings of that nature elsewhere.

Anything that you ladies would like to see added to this?

Bernadette

Any recs for any seminars or lessons in LA or Southern California? Thanks
smiles.gif

martygreene

I added Last Looks to the list above, they offer classes in the LA Area. Also you may wish to contact KJ Bennett (also listed above) as he's been considering doing some workshops in the LA area.

Vernita

In the DC/MD/VA area:

Yvonne de Vilar Scientific Skincare, Ltd located in Vienna, VA offers esthetician and makekup artistry courses. I attended the makeup artistry courses last year and got my makeup artistry certification and applied for my license which I got in Aug 06. Ms. Lynda, the makeup artist instructor is excellent!

http://www.scientificskincare.com/About_school.html

Klava

Thank you, Martygreene! Do you know where I can find info like that on Canada? I live near Vancouver and know about a couple of makeup schools there, but not sure if they are good ones. I heard that make up schools compete fiercely for students, so they promise almost anything and tell you that they are the best. Any thoughts?

Kels823

Wish there was something in the Michigan area.. been looking online for some sort of reputable training.

martygreene

Unfortunately, Michigan isn't a strong center for theatre, film, or fashion, so you probably won't find much in your area. Most seminars and such are going to be located in hubs of the industry.

Vancouver is enough of a hub that it should have some decent classes and such. I'll see what I can't find out about what's available in your area.

Dreamergirl3

Any chance there is something in Northern California? Specifically the San Francisco Bay Area. I know my city of San Jose has it's own theatre program...but I suppose there would be more of a chance in San Francisco..?

Nikki0211

I'm in Washington State and I'm pretty sure there's nothing really around here but I've been thinking about doing a makeup program down in California and I was wondering what you know about the schools down there? Any info would help. I just want to pick the right now since I'm going to make the temp move and everything.
smiles.gif
Thank you so much! Info on schools up in Canada might be close for me too...but I'd need some info about having a Canadian certificate/license and using in the US. Lol, so whatever you can tell me. Thanks again!

aziza

Great list martygreene! I really want to take TPG's 4 day intensive in June or the Intro class that's in May so I'll be visiting their studio in NYC when I go up on Sunday. All their workshops sound awesome.

TIERAsta

anything in HAWAII?? i know, NOT a HUB. but all i really see are courses offered by modeling agencies. are those at all reputable??

mzreyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamergirl3
Any chance there is something in Northern California? Specifically the San Francisco Bay Area. I know my city of San Jose has it's own theatre program...but I suppose there would be more of a chance in San Francisco..?

oh yes, I'd like to know about this too.

martygreene

Once again, seminars are generally held by professionals and companies which cater to professionals in the field. This means that they'll be found in areas with a high concentration of work for such people. Major industry hubs- Toronto, NY, DC, LA, occasionally Chicago.

tearsindecember

I think it's crazy there's not much going on in Orlando.. We're a major entertainment city!
ssad.gif
I'm willing to drive to miami though.. so it's all good. Anyone attending "The Makeup Show - Miami"? I was wondering if a business card is good enough as proof for "being in the field."