Sephora partners with JC Penney

luvme4me

YAY! can't wait Penney's prob wants a new image adding sephora is a good start now if we can get some chanel in thier that would be great too!

astronaut

You know... this reminds me. I was looking for a prom dress, and I went to the stores like Macy's and Nordstrom to look for one, and I didn't even bother looking at JC Penny's because the store never seemed very "high end" enough for a nice prom dress for me. My mom suggested I go in there while she went to the restroom and I was like a little iffy because it was like, "eh... JC Penny's? eww?" but when I got there I found out that the dresses they had were actually even more expensive than Macy's (not Nordstrom!) and I found my dress there too! So who knows, it might not be as bad as some think
winks.gif

joytheobscure

YAY! My favorite "teacher clothes" store - will have Sephora, that is awesome, my luck is they wont' carry Nars. I love my Bijou clothes and would love to buy some good quality cosmetics at the same time. I do a lot of shopping at Penney's a little nicer clothes than walmart but I can get them for similar prices if I wait on a sale, I prefer dillards but my wallet can't afford anything other than makeup there **I can always "afford" makeup.

Isis

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaliraksha
Well I think JC Penney is also trying to appeal to a younger audience that Bijou Bijou line they carry is pretty neat...

Bijou Bijou used to have gorgeous free standing stores, and I used to love shopping there back then. My favorite was at Lenox Square Mall in Atlanta. But since it's merged with JC Penney it's totally changed and as far as I know there are no more free standing stores or online shopping site. It's just sad to see that happen.

Janice

It'll be on a cart in the middle of the Jr's department.
greengrin.gif
No biggie, IMO. I remember when they tried to launch cosmetics last time. It was similar to a couple of fixtures and a counter girl to make it all look "official". Didn't work. =/

calliestar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isis
Bijou Bijou used to have gorgeous free standing stores, and I used to love shopping there back then. My favorite was at Lenox Square Mall in Atlanta. But since it's merged with JC Penney it's totally changed and as far as I know there are no more free standing stores or online shopping site. It's just sad to see that happen.

But at the same time, it's kind of good because it brought Bijou Bijou to a larger audience. I didn't even know it existed until JC Penney started carrying it, and now I love it, and know a lot of other people who buy it as well. We've never had a freestanding Bijou Bijou anywhere near where I live, as far as I know. I'm kind of excited that Sephora will be coming to JC Penney, because I have to travel 2 1/2 hours to get to the nearest Sephora, where as I have a JC Penney about 15 minutes away. I guess maybe it's just because I live in the sticks, but I think this will be great for people in my area.

xiahe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanna
It's true! I was at Sephora training yesterday and they said that JCPenny will have mini-Sephora's!

awesome! now i'll have a little sephora in my area...the closest one is an hour away. =/

do you know what kind of products they'll sell? just sephora make-up? or other brands, too?

IslandGirl77

That would be cool! Because there are no Sephora's here at all! We have a freestanding JC Penney, so it might work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asteffey
i dont know if i like this idea...

I don't like the idea because JC pennys isnt a very high end store.. Next thing you know MAC is going to be sold at Sears. I doubt this will bring JC penny up a notch.. if anything it'll bring down Sephora which I'm very upset about and I hope that doesnt happen.

I also believe the mini Sephora stores will only be put into newly built or re-modeled JC Pennys.. not ones that are already in your local mall.

Jeannine8

I don't know if I like the idea of the two stores coming together like that, however, Sephora is a city away for me, and Penny's is only a 10 minute drive so it benefits me!

I don't know about JCPennys everywhere, but my local one carries cute young clothes, not just 'older ladies clothing'. They're also my to go for store for church clothes.

Brianne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephora Bunny
I also believe the mini Sephora stores will only be put into newly built or re-modeled JC Pennys.. not ones that are already in your local mall.

Initially, the mini Sephora's will only be in newly built JcP stores. Over the next 2 years, existing JcP stores will be renovated to include the mini Sephora's.

myrifle

if jcpenny isn't "high end" enough to carry sephora, then why was target enough for luella or isaak. I'd be so glad if they did merge so I don't have to drag my butt over to Southcoast but instead just drive straight to my local mall! But gosh damnit I really hope that they are taking away our sears instead of jcpenny since my mall is building a second macy's *wtf?*

Alexa

*shrugs* i LIKE this idea.
currently, the closest Sephora is an hour n 20 minutes away
ssad.gif

hopefully they'll carry some stuff that i'll be interested in :p

Hawkeye

Hmmmm Sephora must be desperately trying to cling on to stuff. I don't think I like this idea either. I heard somewhere they were trying to save their business but not sure if thats accurate

midnightlouise

Interesting. Doesn't exactly seem like a match made in heaven, but if it works...
As for easy access it's exactly the opposite for me! They just took out the Penneys that was 10 minutes away & built the new store 30 min. from me, however the Sephora store is only about 15 minutes away. Go figure.

shriekingviolet

While I could think of better department stores to carry mini sephoras (I can't recall the last time I set foot in a Penney's for any other reason than to use them as an entrance to get into the rest of the mall), I'm pretty happy about this. My state doesn't have a single Sephora store and it's a 3-3.5 hour drive into the next state to get to the nearest one, so I only get to visit Sephoras when I travel. It'd be nice to have at least a mini one nearby. Especially since department stores around here don't carry Stila, Cargo, Tarte, Nars, etc. It'd be nice to be able to buy in person for a change!

As to why not other department stores though, I think the main reason is that the current CEO of JC Penney's used to work for LVMH so he already had his foot in the door to make this happen. Plus, sticking a Sephora in a higher-end department store would kind of limit what Sephora could bring to the table as there's a lot of overlap between what (say) Nordstrom's and Sephora carries. I don't think either company would benefit that much from a partnership. Since Penney's carries next to nothing in the way of makeup, that wouldn't be an issue. Plus, the partnership will bring Sephora into markets where it wasn't previously, allowing them to expand fairly cheaply (I think at least a third of this US is Sephora-less) and Penney's will be able to carry brands they might not have gotten to snag otherwise, get a cosmetics area with a good reputation and further help reinvent the chain.

Iolite

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaliraksha
Hmm but Sephora to me has a really glam sparkly clean image when I walk in and I'm having problems meshing that with the old dark look of JC Penney's I've been too... is that wrong? =(

I agree. I think rather than Sephora glamourizing JC Penny's, I see JC Penny's deglamourizing Sephora.

Part of the appeal of shopping for cosmetics (for me) is the shopping experience and I like the bright clean look of retailers like Nordstrom and Sephora (for the most part, however, some of their displays are kind of gross). I never shop at Penny's and if Sephora moved their merchandise into there, I'd never shop there, but would rather stick with Nordstrom and Gloss. . .

Latest posts