Sephora vs. Nordstrom

baddiemey

I've been working at Sephora for a year and a half and I like it, but the pay sucks. I was recently offered a job working in fragrance at Nordstrom making more money. Anyone who has worked for Nordstrom able to talk about the growth there, or commission based jobs? I have no experience and I am thoroughly confused as to where to go.

novocainedreams

I can't help as far as commission based, as my job was strictly salary, but I worked for Nordstrom customer service and back end and they are a really good company to work for, at least when I was there. I knew a lot of people from different departments and saw a lot of movement and promotions etc within the company. I can;t say for the cosmetics department solely, but as a company they promote growth and movement within the company. If you're a hard worker they recognize that.

thenightlook

if you can't make your goals, they will be extremely hard on you at nordstrom. are there personal sales goals at sephora?

mac_aiken

I can't help as far as commission based, as my job was strictly salary, but I worked for Nordstrom customer service and back end and they are a really good company to work for, at least when I was there. I knew a lot of people from different departments and saw a lot of movement and promotions etc within the company. I can;t say for the cosmetics department solely, but as a company they promote growth and movement within the company. If you're a hard worker they recognize that.
if you can't make your goals, they will be extremely hard on you at nordstrom. are there personal sales goals at sephora? 
Actually both of these posters are spot on. I work for Nordstrom as an EL BA. Lauder is a wonderful company to work for although I think they could provide more in the way of training. Nordstrom is a great company too but it can be stressful meeting their (sometimes unrealistic) sales goals. And there is always some event going on. You are expected to book a certain amount of appointments and do a hefty chunk of preorder sales for all of these. I've been at my counter 2 months and we have already done 4 events in my department. Right now our customers don't have a lot of disposable income and they prefer to shop online. That is hurting sales in the stores