Sephora

weezee

Hi there, I haven't worked at Sephora but you might try doing a search on Sephora. I know I've read other posts about working there. Good luck!
thmbup.gif

MAC_Pixie04

Quote:
Originally Posted by astronaut
I think you are well overqualified to work at Sephora.

I'm not sure what that's supposed to mean, but I don't think I like the sound of it. Sephora employees are pretty coveted at other locations; we're constantly getting recruited when department stores have openings and freestanding cosmetics stores get opened up. I hope that's not an implication that working at Sephora is a bottom-of-the-barrel kind of job, because I assure you it isn't.

Anyway, I'm not sure about Sephoras inside JCPenney locations, we don't place very heavy emphasis on artistry, but it helps to have some background in cosmetics retail. Any previous background you have in customer service or any kind of retail will help. I know when my management team is looking for people to hire, they look for people who have held pretty steady jobs, rather than someone who puts in 6 months here and there at different places. I mean, I worked in childcare before I got hired, and I was the only person in my group intervew to get hired, and one of only 2 seasonal cast members to be made permanent. I wore a really simple look to my interview, and it honestly felt more like a conversation than anything, so it wasn't really stressful or nerve-wracking. There's no demo or makeup application, usually just a group interview and then a solo interview.

Anyway, good luck, and if you have anymore questions, feel free to PM me.

breeknee

I am a youtuber, i have a makeup blog The Special Gloss, and the contest was held through Pursebuzz, so she might have been responding like that because she's seen my work, that is what I assumed at least. Either that or she knows who Tarina Tarantino is (she was a pretty esteemed MAC artist and she judged the contest I was a winner in).

I think my interview is solo, because she let me pick what time I wanted to come in and everything. I have incredible product knowledge because I am a product junkie, so I am hoping that will shine through. I have only worked at one other place for retail, but that was for a year. Unfortunately I have no way for her to contact my previous employer because the business was independent and has since gone bankrupt, and I have no idea how to contact her. But I can relate working in a bead store to working in cosmetics very easily. I dealt with the same kind of customer base, women who want to make themselves beautiful. I had to recommend colors, show them how to "apply makeup" which in that case was how to construct the jewelry. The demographic was so similar, girls from 11 years old to 88 and the occaisional males. I'm hoping showing her all of this about me, along with my product and makeup application knowledge, will sell me for the job, because I really, really need it. If I don't get it I have to go back to sitting in a chair for nearly 12 hours a day typing financial transcriptions for shitty money, in a building full of mold and bugs in a sketchy area of downtown. I need this job to survive, without it I'm going to have to quit school or stop eating. There are no other places here hiring, and I can't work in the restaurant industry (too many food allergies and no experience).

breeknee

i definitely love MAC but they aren't hiring. I use a lot of Sephora brands and always have, Hard Candy is what I got into makeup with when I was younger.

Sikfrmthemirror

I love sephora. I really want to work there with my schooling and experience id only hope they wouldnt think twice about hiring me. and that whole being over qualified buisness is beyond me, I think the more you know the better you will do your job and more will come out of it in the long run. good luck!!!!

darkwater_soul

Which one is this?? Number three for SiJcP's? Or for Sephora in general? Because our numbers aren't combined... There are differences from SiJCP to a regular Sephora.. and I'll be honest, you'd like a regular Sephora more... with regular Sephora you will get to grow in your artistry, attend big conferrences with other artists called Color Encore, where you can earn an expert pin, and as far as I know, SiJCP can not participate in that. We got to meet some of the regional staff for SiJCP the other day, and they are lovely! You also have different verbage than we will. It's still great! Don't get me wrong.. just ask your SM if ya'll participate in those encores and such and what ya'll do for consultants looking to better thier artistry.

breeknee

She did not elaborate, but the way that it sounds, our sephora within jcpennys really does not sound different at all. They do attend conferences and the same Sephora training, the only difference is they don't rotate areas because everyone works everywhere at once. They also get expert pins, I saw the managers just today and I know a couple of others have them, too. The verbage doesn't seem much different other than accomidating the size difference. They still use cast, costume and all of that lingo. And the training is just as extensive as well. I was really surprised
smiles.gif

MAC_Pixie04

Quote:
Originally Posted by breeknee
Oh and also I do not think MAC is better than Sephora in any way, in fact i prefer shopping at Sephora because the makeup is cheaper sometimes, and i like the Sephora brand, and the variety of product lines. But MAC is more about the makeup, so it just suits my style more. I'm afraid my makeup is too overdone for Sephora, so I'm going to have to tone it down color-wise.

So not true! Our Color Team is just that...loaded with color. We wear full on makeup, false lashes, the works. The difference between the makeup attire at Sephora and at other counters is that since we sell other products, such as skincare, haircare, and fragrance, we don't place a heavy emphasis on just one world, so we don't require a ton of makeup. There's obviously a requirement to wear SOMETHING, since we sell beauty products, but you don't have to wear 5 things on each area of your face like other places mandate. At least one product in each area, and a clean, kempt appearance. I wear tons of color to work, and then there are other days where I let my own skin come through and keep it light. It's all about what you want, if you wanna go bold, go bold. You don't have to tone it down, and you'll have plenty of opportunities to let your artistry shine.

MAC_Pixie04

Quote:
Originally Posted by breeknee
She did not elaborate, but the way that it sounds, our sephora within jcpennys really does not sound different at all. They do attend conferences and the same Sephora training, the only difference is they don't rotate areas because everyone works everywhere at once. They also get expert pins, I saw the managers just today and I know a couple of others have them, too. The verbage doesn't seem much different other than accomidating the size difference. They still use cast, costume and all of that lingo. And the training is just as extensive as well. I was really surprised
smiles.gif

As far as I know, the major differences between Sephora inside JCPenney locations are that SiJCP employees cannot use their discount at freestanding Sephora locations and vice versa, the product selection is different, SiJCP locations carry more of our Best Sellers and Hero products, rather than a full spread of product. SiJCP employees still go to SOS and Encore trainings, but not to Encores as frequently as regular Sephora employees.

breeknee

I was told by an emloyee that they use the discount at Sephora stores, because I was talking to her about my last visit to the Jacksonville location and she relayed a story about what she bought and using her discount. They also do the friends and family sale just like regular Sephoras.

They very much play by the standards of Sephora, she said they get secret-shopped quite often, a few times a month or week or something.

The product selection is really really not a big deal to me, because the biggest thing they cut out at ours is perfume/colognes, its like 1/4 the size of any of the other locations I've been to. I've been to a loooot of Sephoras, all of the Sephoras in Manhattan (I know, haha) I loooved the one one block away from Rockefeller, in the building used to publish Walt Whitman's "Leaves of Grass", it has beautiful Art Deco architecture. I've also been to Orlando, Tampa, Jacksonville, South Beach, Atlanta (Lennox), and Birmingham.

I have been in one SiJCP other than the one I am applying for, and it didn't have full lines of products, so that may be what is confusing some people. The one I am applying for has FULL product lines of best selling brands, even the full Tarte and Anastasia line, and Philosophy. The choose the lines based on the area's demographic and what will sell, so it will vary from location to location.

I must sound like a dork but I thought that this was a terrific business move for Sephora and JCP, and I did a paper for a business class on the joining of the two companies, so I e-mailed Sephora and got some insight when I did it. Their employees are treated the same way at the Sephora's in JCP as they are in full sized stores, with obvious differences due to size, and they don't get as much training because they don't have as many lines. Honestly though, the only lines I miss are NARS and MUFE, everything else I have never given the time of day at a larger Sephora, they just didn't interest me. I have noticed that if there is a product from a line that is very popular, but the line is not carried, that they stock just the product. Like I've seen a Korres lip butter in another SiJCP.

In terms of size, its like the size of a Claire's accessories store (haha random i know).

breeknee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC_Pixie04
So not true! Our Color Team is just that...loaded with color. We wear full on makeup, false lashes, the works. The difference between the makeup attire at Sephora and at other counters is that since we sell other products, such as skincare, haircare, and fragrance, we don't place a heavy emphasis on just one world, so we don't require a ton of makeup. There's obviously a requirement to wear SOMETHING, since we sell beauty products, but you don't have to wear 5 things on each area of your face like other places mandate. At least one product in each area, and a clean, kempt appearance. I wear tons of color to work, and then there are other days where I let my own skin come through and keep it light. It's all about what you want, if you wanna go bold, go bold. You don't have to tone it down, and you'll have plenty of opportunities to let your artistry shine.

I was mostly concerned about the color because no one at the particular sephora i applied at wears it :/ so I guess I didn't want to stand out or anything, but I am certainly going to turn up the color volume if I work there.

I'm so glad to hear this though! I guess I assumed thats the type of makeup I do so Sephora would shun me or something, but I am glad to hear that isn't the case! I mean, I don't have like purple hair or anything, but i do like to do fierce eyes with a more subdued face. I've been working in makeup for a very, very long time, so it is kind of hard for me to feel new to all of this, because in reality I am just new to makeup retail. But I think I'll get into the swing of things, especially with helpful gals like you on Specktra
smiles.gif
I hope I get the job!

mami2nice4u

I have applied to Sephora many times, I wonder why they don't call me for an interview, I have alot of retail sales experience and I'm currently finishing my Esthetics/makeup Artistry program. Is it because their worried that after i finish my program I might change careers to work in a spa.

SweetCheeks

I am interested in applying at Sephora ... if you have past retail/customer service experience and know alot of the brands and products I am assuming that is a plus, my worry is I have never worked for a cosmetic retailer before.

lefreakcestchic

Does anyone know what sephoras starting out pay is? I want to apply there but I don't know if I'm qualified or if I'll be asking for too much pay. I've worked with cosmetics/retail before but for less than a year. [I was a manager though, if that counts for anything]
th_dunno.gif

xcutiepie331x

I have been wanting to work at Sephora for the longest time! I applied there twice, met and spoke to two different managers, and have two years of retail experience, and I didn't get one call for an interview. I was so bummed, and now I'm just embarrassed to apply for the third time.