Sephora's new theme for Valentine's Day

macslut

Well, judging from the nipple clamps displayed on the "pretty naughty" page, it seems to be S&M. I really don't know how that has anything to do with makeup. I have worked with victims of violence and have been a victim of violence myself and I have a huge problem with this theme. (And if you don't have a problem with this or like it, that is fine. To each thier own.)

I just had to get that out. Thanks for listening. /off
soapbox.gif
/

UPDATE: First off, forgive me bringing this thread back to life. But the nipple clamps have been brought down. They have been replaced by a very corny pair of pink fuzzy handcuffs.

kaliraksha

I think the theme is acceptable... S&M should be between two consenting adults... domestic abuse... totally different story.

prinzessin784

I don't think it's endorsing violence, it's a playful take on a somewhat popular and taboo, yet acceptable, sexual fantasy or preference. And it's right on when it comes to me - makeup cracks the whip on me and I buy buy buy!! haha!

Hawkeye

Wow- that is.... yikes.
I'm by no means a prude but I don't think that is necessary for a makeup site. That is actually sort of.... well lets put it this way-I just lot a lot of respect for them.

..kels*

i personally don't think it's unacceptable or lewd in any way.. as quoted from the sephora website "Nars has always pushed the limit with their wildly popular Orgasm Blush and Lip Gloss"... "They're pouring on the seduction with x-rated names (Sex On The Beach, anyone?) and tempting shades." i don't think a picture of nipple clamps on the website is any reason to lose respect for sephora. Let alone NARS' personal decision to keep up with their "playful/naughty" product names. nothing too shocking here IMO.

Hawkeye

Well again, its everyones personal opinion and just because someone doesn't see any reason in their Point of view to lose respect for a company that does this is fine- but I will still say that yes, I have lost a lot of respect for it- not just because of some nipple clamps- but because it is the principal of the thing for me.
For me- I have a problem with a makeup store putting up pictures of nipple clamps, etc where I know teenage girls go into. Sure girls know all about sex by now but what's it telling them? To me it's telling them- put makeup on, get sex.
At the very least with nars- you do not have pictures of a person with sexul innuendos- you have makeup but only the boxes etc are there and it's not nearly as conspicuous.
I don't know I've just lost a lot of respect for Sephora and it's not just with this it's also with the fact that I don't think the makeup artists are that talented as well or the ones coming up for marketing campaigns are that talented. Not just with this but the ringling brothers crap and the one before that.
I'm not sorry that I have no respect for Sephora anymore. If it's not that big of a deal to you that's fine but remember that your perspective is and what mine is happens to be very different.

lara

Raising an eyebrow at the display of sex-related acoutrements in a make-up store is fine, but I completely agree everyone who correctly pointed out that consensual BDSM ≠ violence against women. Don't take a knee-jerk response against something because while it's not 100% vanilla, it is 100% normal.
smiles.gif

macslut

As I understand it, BDSM is about violence. It is about domination of another person. Sorry but I can't find that acceptable. There is a very thin line between consentual spankings,being led around by a dog chain, etc and abuse. I don't understand how anyone can inflict it or take it. Nipple clamps are meant to inflict pain. The woman on the front page of the Sephora site is pulling at her collar. I find the message that that is sending to be abbhorent. It sends the message (just as someone on here said) that women should put on makeup and get sex. We should please men. After all, it is probably mostly a man's fantasy that women be put in a subordinate position. So we come to the message we are sending to young women....

Women are made for subordinate positions.

Oh, and my positions are hardly knee jerk. I see way too many women who are abused and to be quite frank, some of it was in the name of BDSM.

hyperRealGurl

Macslut: Although i agree with you on the BDSM matter... BDSM is about violents to a certain degree... for the most part ppl that are involved in BDSM choose live that type of sexual life style... not that i am an expert on BDSM but from what i do know about it.. it is about inflicting pain... (pain/ pleasure ) i can see why u would say u can't find that acceptable... in most cases a lot of ppl see this as TABOO.. its not ur everyday run of the mill sexual realationship where u and ur partner would act out in these types of acts... You also have to remeber even that some ppl get a rise or a certain sexual high with bieng spankings,being led around by a dog chain, etc etc.... but to call it abuse is another thing." unless its is not consensual BDSM then thats a different story" And for the Nipple clamp seems very painful when u think about it.. but i have been told that to some it relases pleasure sensors.. so instead of it being painful.. u feel pleasure ( no i dont want nipple clamps) BDSM is not just a mans fantsy.. and in most cases its the ladies that are the dominant ones. some ppl act out on it and some dont. Im not trying to say VIOLENTS is OK... b/c i dont think it is... but my thing is who am i to judge anyone and how they choose to have sex... and going back on the topic i didnt see the nipple clamps u were talking about but i did see a model with a blk leather choker on.. And when i look at that i dont think "Women are made for subordinate positions" I see that picture and think " OK this collection is going to be egdy" and thats all.. unfortunantly the times that we are in now Sex sells.. its sad to day but its true...

ruby_soho

I personally don't find the Sephora Valetines's campaign offensive. S&M is just about two consentual adults exploring/pushing their limits. Of course it's terrible if someone is not consenting to it, but that is terrible no matter the (I don't really know how to word this) type of sex. S&M or all-American plain sex someone can still be taken advantage of; nipple clamps and collars don't allude to rape. Maybe Sephora was shooting towards a seductive, dominatrix, make-him-putty-in-your-hands campaign.

Also, not trying to take a shot at you or anything, just merely pointing something out... Your name is MACslut

Quote:
Originally Posted by macslut
Women are made for subordinate positions.

pumpkincat210

It really comes down to trust and isn't violent when everyone is consenting. Guys wear the harnesses and nipple clamps too.

MAC_Whore

I wonder how many people look at that page and don't know what they are looking at? Can't you just hear it now:

"Ooooo, look at that. I wonder what it does? Maybe it will take away my wrinkles. I need one!"

lemurian

Bondage and discipline is overwhelmingly consensual and pleasurable act among adults. Those who feel otherwise probably live in states that still enforce sodomy laws. I doubt that real sexual predators go to the trouble of outfitting their victims with leather chaps and chains :p No offense intended, I just think a little respect towards those with essentially harmless, albeit devient, sexual interests isn't too much to ask on a web board devoted to MAC -- a company that isn't exactly the most wholesome
winks.gif

hyperRealGurl

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC_Whore
I wonder how many people look at that page and don't know what they are looking at? Can't you just hear it now:

"Ooooo, look at that. I wonder what it does? Maybe it will take away my wrinkles. I need one!"

hah u pointed out something very true.. its not everyday life we look at things and are like >Hrmmmmm that is .......

Hawkeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemurian
Bondage and discipline is overwhelmingly consensual and pleasurable act among adults. Those who feel otherwise probably live in states that still enforce sodomy laws. I doubt that real sexual predators go to the trouble of outfitting their victims with leather chaps and chains :p No offense intended, I just think a little respect towards those with essentially harmless, albeit devient, sexual interests isn't too much to ask on a web board devoted to MAC -- a company that isn't exactly the most wholesome
winks.gif

Then the question is raised about MAC- during the past years when did they have a BDSM inspired makeup look?

And to make my position more clear- I am not saying that BDSM denotes violence (that's mac slut - not me), I just say this is in very very poor taste on Sephoras part and Sephora is not trying to make an artistic statement or anything. They are just doing something for the shock value hoping to get more money. I refuse to respect that.

And just so you know, lemurian, my opinion is NOT based on where I live-my opinion is based on my beliefs, my values and my view of what I consider art..

I do find it fairly offensive that you tried to make a joke about how some people feel otherwise from what a LOT of people on here feel it's because we come from states that are: I quote " probably living in states that still enforce sodomy laws".

So tell me- lemurian, since from your quote of probability that I live in a state that still enforces sodomy laws- why can I not think for myself, and come to my own conclusion of what I can and cannot have respect for? Or are you telling me (and I'm going strictly on the quote here) that I don't have my opinions because I follow what the local government thinks so I must have my local governments opinions? Or are you telling me that you don't like the fact that I have a different opinion then most of the girls on here so therefore you want to make a joke about where I come from and my background?

I'm genuinely curious on this one. I've already made it very evident that I respect others opinion on this- if they haven't lost respect for Sephora that's fine. I'm not going to try to change their mind- SO tell me- why do you think that its OK to make semi offensive jokes about others who don't agree with you?

Granted MAC Slut and I have very different reasons for not liking it- but our common ground is-we don't. I'm not trying to change her mind shes not trying to change mine. Is it because we are taking a stand and saying- I don't like it-I've lost a lot of respect for this company that you feel it necessary to take cheap shots?

Seriously-I would like to know, lemurian. I really would.

Shimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by macslut
Well, judging from the nipple clamps displayed on the "pretty naughty" page, it seems to be S&M. I really don't know how that has anything to do with makeup. I have worked with victims of violence and have been a victim of violence myself and I have a huge problem with this theme. (And if you don't have a problem with this or like it, that is fine. To each thier own.)

I just had to get that out. Thanks for listening. /off
soapbox.gif
/

BDSM is between two consenting adults in the privacy (or not) of their bedroom. It's something they're both into and willing to partake in.

I find it ironic you're pointing this out when the word "slut" is in your username. I'm not attacking you, please don't think I am, I'm merely pointing that out.

I've been a victim of violence; sexual assault and rape are both parts of my past. That doesn't mean that between myself and my husband I don't enjoy some good rough sex, to include bondage and toys. There's a difference, and any one who's beena victim knows that.

Imo, of course.

incidentally, there are just as many male subs as there are female subs, and for every sub, there's a dom. That's part of the fetish.

hyperRealGurl

Quote:
I just say this is in very very poor taste on Sephoras part and Sephora is not trying to make an artistic statement or anything. They are just doing something for the shock value hoping to get more money. I refuse to respect that.

I agree with you to an extent.... while some ppl might see this add being in poor taste there are others that will see the artistic side of it as well.

in the same token i am nobody to tell anyone how they should feel about a company b.c of their slogan/adds/comerical ect. everyone is entitled to how they feel about these things and their opinions. I can repsect that..
smiles.gif

what im trying to figure out is when has (Shock Value hoping to get sales become so bad) it happends all the time with many different companies.

it's just an add.. take it as for what its worth.. "a sales add" or ppl can make more out of it.. if it offends you.

i guess i dont see the big deal in this b/c from what ive seen theres nothing to get offended by or get shocked by..

or giving a product a sensual/ or a freaky name.. im not going to be like "ewwww thats in bad taste" but that is just me
smiles.gif

Youeabitch hehe you know i LOVE you gurl
eyelove.gif
smiles.gif

lemurian

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbeabitch
So tell me- lemurian, since from your quote of probability that I live in a state that still enforces sodomy laws- why can I not think for myself, and come to my own conclusion of what I can and cannot have respect for? Or are you telling me (and I'm going strictly on the quote here) that I don't have my opinions because I follow what the local government thinks so I must have my local governments opinions? Or are you telling me that you don't like the fact that I have a different opinion then most of the girls on here so therefore you want to make a joke about where I come from and my background?

I'm genuinely curious on this one. I've already made it very evident that I respect others opinion on this- if they haven't lost respect for Sephora that's fine. I'm not going to try to change their mind- SO tell me- why do you think that its OK to make semi offensive jokes about others who don't agree with you?

Granted MAC Slut and I have very different reasons for not liking it- but our common ground is-we don't. I'm not trying to change her mind shes not trying to change mine. Is it because we are taking a stand and saying- I don't like it-I've lost a lot of respect for this company that you feel it necessary to take cheap shots?

Seriously-I would like to know, lemurian. I really would.

I already stated in the same post that I don't mean to offend. I think you're reading an awful lot into one sentence! The fact is that I am offended by your "opinion" that people who practice B&D are somehow in the wrong. I happen to think that's a very narrow-minded point of view. And an unnecessary one as it's a pretty safe guess that anyone practicing it or even the practice in general has absolutely no effect on you or your life. You may as well be saying that homosexuality is wrong. Or gardening. Anything.

You may be right, however, that I might have implied in my statement that EVERYONE living in.. okay, I'll say it, SOUTHERN STATES, feels similarly about deviant sexual practices. That's an unnecessary generalization, and I apologize if I offended any free-thinking, fetish-having Southerners
winks.gif

Latest posts