Setting Foundation

glueme

Ok, I have extremely dry skin, sometimes flaky (lately, alot! sucks). I also have eczema so it's really sensitive and flareups (rashes caused by extreme dryness) happen when my skin gets too dry.

But recently I've been obsessing over setting my foundation, because it doesn't seem to stay on for very long. I generally use cremes and liquids, and try to stay away from any powders because I've only had bad experiences with them (thought I'm going to dry a sample of mineral foundation soon).

So I tried to set my foundation with translucent powder, and also pressed powder, but they both dry my skin out so much, within half an hour my skin is flaky and my foundation is patchy!!

Other than Fix+ (does it even work? Is it worth the money?), are they any other non-powder ways to set my foundation??? Help, I'm obessing over this!!

kimmy

Benefite makes a thing called She-laq...i've never used it, but i've been told it's good for sensitive skin and works like Fix+
smiles.gif

lightsinsorrow

For dry to normal skin, I set foundation with Select Sheer Loose (you need to put something dry on top of the foundation to set it; otherwise it will slide right off) then lightly mist over the makeup with Fix+, which eliminates cakiness while setting makeup.

Make sure you're allowing your moisturizer to completely sink in before applying foundation. A primer also helps makeup stay put. Use a brush (I recommend the 190) to apply foundation. Stay away from cream foundations if you don't need heavy coverage. They are incredibly emollient and therefore don't adhere to skin very well. A light moisturizing formula should do the trick. I love using Select Tint on dry to normal skin but it is VERY sheer. Like I said, if you don't have a lot to cover up, this would be a great option. Go with the sheerest formula you can get away with and spot-conceal anything that needs it. Set everything with loose powder and Fix+ and it should stay on! Hope that helps...

browneyedbaby

I have dry, often flaky skin. My new routine is, apply moisturiser (nothing too heavy), apply concealer straight after, apply Studio Fix Fluid with brush (buff it in) not too much but enough to cover, then buff in some Avant Gold MSF and finish with a couple of sprays of Fix +. This is the best my base has ever been and lasts ages! (I use a heavier moisturiser in the evening and exfoliate regularly)

bellaetoile

to begin with, you will never conquer flaky skin but simply covering it up. you need to use an intensive, but still mild, exfoliator a couple times a week. i have dry skin as well. i was using a daily exfoliater, which ended up being too harsh on my skin, then switched to MAC's microfine refinisher. microfine refinisher is a mild dermabrasion treatment, which i only use 2 or 3 times a week. it gets rid of dead, dry, flaky skin, without being too drying or harsh. moisturize twice daily (i alternate between studio moisture cream and studio moisture fix), and make sure to always wash your face twice a day, with warm (NOT HOT) water, and remove makeup thouroughly every evening.

once you get the dry skin out of the way, then the next step is foundation. as i said, make sure your skin is exfoliated and moisturized. wait about 10 minutes to let your moisturizer soak in, then apply prep and prime face, which is a foundation primer. a couple pumps on your hand, and use your fingers to blend into your skin. it doesn't show, and a little goes a long way. again, wait a few minutes. i have several foundations that i like, though studio fix fluid tends to be the one i use the most often. moistureblend compact foundation is also good. apply foundation with a BRUSH, blend to your desired shade. apply whatever other products you like (blush, MSF, bronzer, etc.) and then spray a couple sprays of fix+ over your entire face. between the primer and the fix+, your foundation should last longer. also, powder and emollient based foundations CAN'T stick as well, nor can they last as long, when applied over dry, flaky skin, so make sure your taking care, exfoliating, and moisturizing.

Rockell

Fix+ is great! You can use it under foundation and over. It really gets rid of the powdery look and feel. It's a great boost to moisturizer in the winter, too.

glueme

Any lotions or creams offerd by MAC (or any other cosmetic lines for that manner) aren't moisturizing enough for me. Eczema skin isn't just dry flaky skin, it's about flareups caused by sensitivity.

I've tried exfoliation once a week, but it puts too much stress on my skin. If I happen to be flaky, it's becuase I have a rash or flareup, so any extra irritation just makes it worse! It sucks.

Well. I went and got Fix+ today, so hopefully it'll help. it's worht a try, anyway.

Thanks all for help!