Setting up Paypal for charity...?

Kragey

I have some BNIB, never opened Max Factor lipsticks that I've been trying to figure out what to do with. For the past week, I've been considering selling them off super-cheap and having all of the proceeds go to the American Red Cross to help out with the situation in Haiti. Does anybody know the best way to do this? Is there any way to have it go directly to the Red Cross? Or would I have to do a "I'll take your word for it" deal, where people tell me they've donated and I just give it to them? (Sounds naive, but I try not to imagine that people would lie about charity for a freaking lipstick.) Or should I just forget about it?

I've already donated what I can, but I have $40 in my bank account right now, so there isn't a whole lot else I can do. :/

EDIT: If I set up a sale thread on Specktra and just had people send donations, then I sent the lipstick to them when they showed me a confirmation of some sort, would any of you lovelies be willing to participate? I have 3 Violet Vamps, a Topaz Tonic, a Ruby Falls, and a Mango Madness. I would send two of your choice, if it went this way.
smiles.gif

abbyquack

I think it's sweet you're doing something like this. How about you have them send a "gift" payment to you via Paypal (where it is fee-free), and you can donate all the money at once? Then you know they paid. I hate to say it, but yes, people will stoop to the lowest lows, even in times of crisis like this. Just think of all the false charities & carpet baggers that pop up after disasters.

Or, you could always try to sell them on eBay, and I believe you can select an option for all the proceeds to go to a charity of your choice, in this case, the Red Cross. Not sure if they have any fees, but it would be an easy transaction for all.

HTH and good luck!
smiles.gif

Kragey

A very good point. I try to be optimistic about people's intentions, but I often know it's not that simple. :/ I wanted the money to go STRAIGHT to charity because I don't want anybody doubting MY intentions, but I know that's difficult to do.

I think the best idea would be to put up a Specktra thread and have people pay me through PayPal. Then I can take the money out of my account.