Sex Offender as a Neighbor

hhunt2

My husband recently uploaded iPhone's Crime Report app, and our neighbor's address popped up. He's a SEX OFFENDER! Forced raped, oral copulation on a 14 y/o and incedent exposure.

Holy Shiet!!!

I cant believe this! My 8 y/o nephew comes over to my house often and there's a 4 y/o little girl across the street from us. I cant believe this. Out of all the neighborhoods I've lived in (whether it was a nice or questionable area), I've never had a sex offender living near me.
The crazy thing is, my front door faces his backyard... that means, this guy can see everything!

Has anyone ever experienced something like this???

LMD84

oh dear
ssad.gif
i've not been in that situation and to be honest i'm not sure how i'd handle it. i'd like to think that he'd learnt his lesson and that he was back on the straight and narrow. however i would still have a fear in the back of my mind about any children that were in my home
ssad.gif

maybe you should act normal as you usually would but perhaps just make sure that any kids you have over aren't left on their own in the garden at any point.

panda0410

Yes... well kind of. A friend of mine was dating online, found what appeared to be a lovely man, moved in after dating a while with her 10yo daughter. I met this man, he lives locally to us both, had coffe with him, family/friend get togethers etc and she was with him for 3 months. About that time a phone call from the police came - they had been notified that he had a new partner with a child and because he is a registered child sex offender he MUST notify the police/DOCS and update his living arrangements etc himself - which he clearly hadnt done. He was confronted with a problem, tell her about or they (police) would, they were coming to the house anyway to get information on his new living arrangments and assess for risk to the child (my friends daughter). My friend nearly died and so did I. This man has spent time in gaol for his crime, several years in fact as we found out later, and will be on the child sex offender database for 10 years and monitored by the police and DOCS for same. She moved out and left him immediately. She had her 10yo daughter assessed and she seems fine. We never knew who reported his changed circumstances to the police, but it was clearly someone who knew of his previous history and knew there was a child now living with him. My friend is grateful to that person and sickened that she slept with this man. I was shocked - he seemed warm, inviting, welcoming to me. Interestingly enough my friends eldest daughter (who lives away from home) said she didnt feel right about him, bad vibes and didnt like him near her own baby, but we all palmed it off as being possibly aversive to having a new step father in her life. Who knew.... he still lives in the same location which like I said is very local to us, but its frightening to know that most of us DON'T know who out neighbours really are!

snkatha

Oh gosh! this is so scary! I imagine in hhunt2's case you're facing a dilemma.
Be rude to your neighbour and tell all your friends and parents on your street about him being a sex offender or watch him carefully and avoid being rude to him because he could have changed for the better.
wel i think i'd be extra careful about him and watch him. the best thing right now is that you know who he is, i think that's way better than not knowing.

k.a.t

Oh my God, that's a very tricky situation to be in, nonetheless frightening! I can't give you advice on what to do but to watch him and be very careful.
All the best.

Simply Elegant

Chances are he hasn't changed for the better. Jail makes them bitter and learn how to be less likely to get caught. Being on list won't make him do it any less either. Just keep doing what you're doing-be watchful and be a good parent and teach your children what to do if they're in trouble.

Meisje

Be watchful and careful, but be cautious not to go out of your way to make a pariah out of this guy. Even if he's a sex offender, if people in the neighbourhood harass him he can press charges.

I would definitely tell the kids he's someone to stay away from, though.

tara_hearts

watch him like a hawk. Make sure your blinds are turned where he cant see in your house, warn any children. And get a badass home security system and put the signs in your yard saying you have a security system. People like that DON'T change. Rape/child molesting isn't cured.. its the thought of returning to prison that keeps them good for a while but ppl like that are seriously f*cked up in the head. If that was me, i'd want to move away.

hhunt2

Thanks guys for the comments.

The strange thing is, there is a 16/17 y/o girl (assuming it's the wifes daughter) who lives in the home. Well, lately she's been over only on the weekends. I'm assuming her parents are divorced.

This "family" moved in next door about 3 months ago. We have never exchanged "hello's" or smiles. But the daughter and her bf have said "hello" to my husband. The sex offender is a large man; I mean like a mountain man, lol. But luckly, my husband is a large man himself who is intimidating. Also, we have many dogs on the property who alert us whenever someone is around. And were thinking about having a gun shipped from Arizona; hopefully we will get it on Monday. My husbands family & friends are from Arizona and Mexico so guns are always worn... it's not uncommon.

I informed my landlord last night about this (she lives on the neighboring property). She emailed me this morning questioning if the home owner knows she's renting to a sex offender (considering the home owner has 4 kids). This home has been rented out for the past few years (I've known the past tenents).

It's all disturbing!

MaskedBeauty

Thats good that you told the landlord. And by rights if I remember right I don't think hes allowed to live with any children in the house. And they are also not allowed to live near schools. I agree with the whole telling the neighbors thing. I think they have the right to know especially since they have young children. I would definately keep a close watch on any kids coming to your house though. Let us know what happens with the landlord, etc.

Half N Half

I don't know how close you are with your neighbors, but I think you should definitely let them know, especially if they have kids. The fact that he's living in a home where children are present doesn't seem right to me. I thought that was absolutely out of the question. You could probably contact the police and voice your concerns and ask them what the laws are in your area.

You really don't know if he's changed his life around, but from what I know sex offenders almost NEVER really "get cured". If I was you I would just be extremely careful and make sure your nephew or any other kids that come over are always in your sight. I don't think the whole neighborhood needs to gang up on the guy, but if everyone is aware of the situation you can at least work together to make sure the kids are safe!

hhunt2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedBeauty
Thats good that you told the landlord. And by rights if I remember right I don't think hes allowed to live with any children in the house. And they are also not allowed to live near schools. I agree with the whole telling the neighbors thing. I think they have the right to know especially since they have young children. I would definately keep a close watch on any kids coming to your house though. Let us know what happens with the landlord, etc.

Believe it or not, there are many offenders who live near schools. I dont know the rules in Nothern California (or specifically for my town or county) but there's a high school, middle and elementery school half a mile down the street from my home. I checked the offenders near those schools and there are 3 offenders accross the street from those schools.

I just got an email from my landlord, she informed the entire neighborhood and the neighborhood council vie email. From there, there are planning to have a neighborhood meeting soon where the offender will be the main topic.

hhunt2

Quote:
Originally Posted by astronaut
I'm surprised you only have one. There are tons of sex offenders out there in almost every area. More than people notice. If you look at it in the map, there are usually more sex offenders in the more bad neighborhoods but last time I checked, even Beverly Hills has 5.

California Megan's Law - California Department of Justice - Office of the Attorney General

A half mile radius from my home there are at least 6 sex offenders. Half on the bad side and the other half in the wealthy area. But I have 1 offender right next to me. Again, his backyard faces my front door, I park my car infront of his house, my gardener does his lawn, etc. It's just crazy how I have one so close.

I know people who are convicts for petty or serious crimes but it blows my minds how I have a sex offender at the foot of my door.

obscuria

I've checked the sex offender registry a few months ago and 2 live within 7 houses of me.

I just find it weird that one offense is called bother/annoy children. I know annoy probably means something else than what I think annoy means, but it just sounds weird.

hello_my_apple

i'm going to speak from the other side of this situation, someone i'm VERY close w/ happens to be a sex offender this act happened when he was a child himself, and he has to be registered for the next 9 years i believe. He IS a changed person and realized his actions and would never hurt a child again. he's often depressed because he moves around alot because people will find out and harrass him when he wants to move on w/ his life. he's been to jail and he did his time .. i know this person may be a few in a bunch of monsters who wouldnt hurt a child again, yet he's still being punished for a crime that he's honestly sorry for, and maybe because i dont have children yet i cant see it totally from the other side, but just think about the persona nd how he may feel. he may just be a changed man regardless to what 'Simply Elegant' wrote. Just keep an extra cautious eye and if you see something WORTH reporting then report it. just dont be a Wanda from the show "In Living Color" and start telling everyone about it, it's bad enough he has no privacy as it is.

panda0410

^^Paedophiles dont change. They are born with this condition, its part of their internal psyche and I would never allow someone who had been covicted of a child sex offence to have access to my children - period.
Of course there are circumstances where teenagers end up in trouble with sex and the law, but for true paedophiles the best these people can do is hope to manage their impulses and feelings and more often than not they cant - thats WHY they are such problem to society.

Latest posts