Sexual Harrassment

joytheobscure

I wasn't quite sure which forum to place this in, I considered chatter, or where self image is discussed. Anyways....

I'm a cross between disturbed, flattered and insulted. I went to get my taxes (*I'm a bit late on filing*) this week from the accountant, who is a pretty nice looking, clean cut, charming man (early 40s).who was desperate for help and asked me if I'd be interested in helping out the rest of the week... well I'm pretty darn broke and thought I cant' miss the chance to make some extra cash. While I've never experienced this and it was a temporary situation its as shocking as entertaining...

So I went in the next morning, dressed conservatively to the point of baggy - peach nails, nude makeup , and he put me to work filing *in his office- but he liked to "talk" --so he asks me all these questions about hobbies etc..I said "I like to spend money" and then he goes into "I know a job that pays lots of money" etc.. *guess what that is, stripping* then he continues on into the topic of women and how his ex cheated etc and all women would cheat, blah, blah, blah, (I don't agree being married 10 years and still very much love my husband). I'm also 29 and starting to feel old and not as attractive as I did a few years back.... so then this guy starts in on most women would take their tops off for $20 - and then of course he asks me if I would.. "NO" - he goes up to $100 then $100, then $1,000,000 - I answered yes and said because thats not gonna happen, he says heasks this to all women that he's around apparently.... (and his full time secretary said he did) anyways I had like Three hours of hearing him ask me about taking my shirt off - comments about me bending over the filing cabinet HA... well... I told him to get a movie, magazine and look away - but my husband is the only one who sees mine *** I suppose had the guy looked like Homer Simpson I'd ran out the door screaming, LOL--- at the end of Day 1 I told him that it was insulting and degrading to talk to women that way to which he said take it as a compliment and how beautiful I was, and my skin was(etc.. which I give mac the credit) my figure etc... he also went into how this was between himself and me...The guy never touched me if he had I'd have been out the door after I kneed him.

So I go home tell hubby, tell best friend, tell someone that used to go to his church, ha ha... Spend an immense amount of time giggling about being harrassed...lol... Hubby wasn't "mad" about it or anything.. he was probably flattered in that male kind of way..

Day two, he didnt' go into any sexual related conversation until the last hour, but by then he'd talked "nice guy " all day long, interesting nice conversations that werent' threatening.... then he asks "how big are they" - (the twins) - UM.. and I told him it wasnt his business - talked about his sex life , exwife and loneliness, its like he had no filter on is conversations, and spent a lot of time bragging about his money that he made I said a couple of things - etc.. that were in a nature that I wouldn't normally but you know he was going on about his desires and I told him that he could take care of himself while he was away from his girlfriend - wrong thing to say... argh.Then he goes on about how he hopes to marry his girlfriend but he's open for anything, omg... about 10 mins before leaving I said - "By the way I told my husband about our conversations and he wasnt upset or anything, if he had been he'd have been up there" then he shuts up--- what kind of IDIOT would think he could be a pervert and talk to me knowing I'm married ALL DAMN day and then can't believe I'd tell my own husband what he said!!! AND the dick says "well what about what you've said" - I said "I'd tell my husband what I'd say he knows I have a dirty mind," - ARGH... well his full time secretary just happens to be my husbands coworkers wife. Oh and get this, he's open with other people too - he told my mother when she picked up her taxes that "He's off women and all women want to do is jump his bones" - YEAHHHH............

Anyways.... It was interesting couple of days with which I have mixed feelings...I have a friend who had been married to a doctor and said that men that have money seem to think they are entitled to whatever they want I kind of thought that she was exaggerating on some of that, but I've come around. Overall I kind of feel sorry for that guy, he's got some insecurity issues I'm sure - I mean he had good qualities, and was intelligent and way too open with anything he thought. My trouble is I'm too damn open if people start questioning me and I am not a good liar.

I'm the person that I've never had men approach me... and keep my distance from a lot of people and worked with teachers etc. and never ran into anyone quite like that. I am still debating how deep this thought is... I'm wondering how wrong I was to be flattered by being complimented and insulted at the same time... I think I'm just at the point that I'd always thought it was something that happens to other people or is on the movies etc. I think working with perverted teenagers whose minds are always in the gutter and the emotionally disturbed made my tolerance for the weird higher. :::Shrugs:::: comments --similar situations??

Raerae

One of the guys at my work is worse than that heh...

He asked me if I want to have a "quickie" on my lunch break on Wednesday this week heh. And on Tuesday, i was at his desk going over some paper work, and he grabbed me by my hips and pulled me onto his lap. I could go on and on.

I wont let him take all the blame though, while I might not encourage him at work since I dont think it's appropriate, i have flirted with him a little outside of work.

Although I have been a little shocked by a few of his comments/actions, the ones above being the two that stand out the most in my mind.

I'm not upset with him though, and would never accuse him of sexual harassment. Since i dont really feel like i'm being harassed, and part of me likes the attention. What can I say, he's hot and make good money, and i can actually sustain a conversation with him lol... if he didn't have those qualities I would have been in the HR office weeks ago.

joytheobscure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raerae
One of the guys at my work is worse than that heh...

He asked me if I want to have a "quickie" on my lunch break on Wednesday this week heh. And on Tuesday, i was at his desk going over some paper work, and he grabbed me by my hips and pulled me onto his lap. I could go on and on.

I wont let him take all the blame though, while I might not encourage him at work since I dont think it's appropriate, i have flirted with him a little outside of work.

Although I have been a little shocked by a few of his comments/actions, the ones above being the two that stand out the most in my mind.

I'm not upset with him though, and would never accuse him of sexual harassment. Since i dont really feel like i'm being harassed, and part of me likes the attention. What can I say, he's hot and make good money, and i can actually sustain a conversation with him lol... if he didn't have those qualities I would have been in the HR office weeks ago.

Yeah, that is worse. But you aren't married are you? I guess if I were single it wouldn't have been a post, lol. But, its funny how it goes depending on how attractive the guy is. The funny thing is I NEVER in my life thought it'd be a thread I would start on this topic.

Raerae

no i'm not married... someday lol!

but omg i had this really really creepy boss at a job a few years back... he was the type where if you were in his office, he would offer you some planters salted nuts, but aks if you wanted his, "salty nuts" in your mouth. That was some of the milder things he did.

He actually did get charged with sexual harassment eventually, and like the file on him was a few inches thick after all the girls got done complaining. He was way gross.

I'm actually surprised it didn't happen sooner, but financially he was one of the best bosses we had ever had. Vacation hours he woulnd't even put in, so you would get full pay for the time off. Same thing if you had to leave early, he woulnd't make you log in the missing hours. And he also fought hard to get his staff raises, and our weekly payckecks were some of the best during the time he was running the show.

So like i think we all kinda agreed that it was the lesser of two evils. Since we used to bitch about him after hours, but enjoy'd the extra money (and we had had bosses that kept track of things a lot stricter before). I can stand getting some unwanted attention at work for a much better paycheck. Considering the amount of unwanted attention I was already getting from men every time I went out to a bar or night club (yes you need permission to grab my ass, unless your hot, rich, and worth talking too LOL).

Raerae

Heh... i was thinking more about this while watching PSYCH (love that show LOL)! And it got me thinking that I'm so used to men making unsolicited sexual advances in one form or another, that I really dont even think much about it anymore. If i dont know them, i ignore it. If I know them and i'm not disturbed by it, or have something to gain from them i can justify it away. Since at least at work, I've never had an unattractive guy or someone who wasn't a boss of a sort, make any sort of sexual references at work.

Granted it doesn't make it right, but do you think that we often tolerate things from men we shouldn't have too on the basis that, "boys will be boys" so to speak?

EDIT: LOL... I go back and the topic the two police officers are having on Psych is about her being uncomfortable with inter-office relationships LOL.

joytheobscure

Well, I guess I never went out to clubs or anything and have been married since 18 and in the public schools teaching and in college before that - not much of a social life at all- I guess I've been fairly sheltered, LOL- plus if teenagers make comments when you are teaching - you can write them up.

Hawkeye

Yes! At home depot! This creepy old freak we're talking 65 -up kept coming through my line asking if I was married etc and trying to get a date and being scary. Well Everytime he came through I started calling my mgr or a lumber guy to come and be a presence.

Well one day the guy was like " Nice tits" and my mgr was behind him. He said, " Excuse me sir-(my name) I got some work for you to do in the back." So I ran and the lumber guys were listening for me and apparently the Mgr railed on this guy talking about how I was like his daughter etc and that he found it insulting and that he was never allowed in the store again....etc

I loved Joe the mgr.
greengrin.gif

Then another girl at home depot-the biggest bitch there was apparently had a man who sang to her at self checkout really loudly then tried to ask her to go to walmart with him and if she'd just go she could get anything she wanted. LOL

I felt so bad for her!

joytheobscure

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbeabitch
Yes! At home depot! This creepy old freak we're talking 65 -up kept coming through my line asking if I was married etc and trying to get a date and being scary. Well Everytime he came through I started calling my mgr or a lumber guy to come and be a presence.

Well one day the guy was like " Nice tits" and my mgr was behind him. He said, " Excuse me sir-(my name) I got some work for you to do in the back." So I ran and the lumber guys were listening for me and apparently the Mgr railed on this guy talking about how I was like his daughter etc and that he found it insulting and that he was never allowed in the store again....etc

I loved Joe the mgr.
greengrin.gif

Then another girl at home depot-the biggest bitch there was apparently had a man who sang to her at self checkout really loudly then tried to ask her to go to walmart with him and if she'd just go she could get anything she wanted. LOL

I felt so bad for her!

OMG... well yes, we must differentiate between the attractive creeps vs. the old creepy dudes... I'm glad I didn't have your experience, what a nice manager. That is something I didn't think of, in a store your creeps can go there all the time. I hate to say it but there is a double standard on this matter I think. I remember being 18 and at the lake, pissed because my boyfriend/fiance didnt' show like promised, and upset and this creepy "old" guy came on to me, of course he was like 35 and when you are 18 creepy is 35--- what is funny is the guy that hit on me was 43 this time at around and I didn't see him as creepy. Thats the aging process I guess.

Latest posts