Shade Sticks..

ashleydenise

Does anybody have any good rec's on the 'best' way to use shade sticks?

Every time I try and use them I feel like I'm ripping my eye lid off, it's super rough and they don't go on evenly =[

Mabelle

my rec is not to use them. i know that sounds like a total jerk response, but imo, they are not worth it!

erine1881

i LOVE shadesticks! i use em every single day. i have no probs using them and don't understand why people have such a hard time.
th_dunno.gif

i draw a light layer on my lid only and then blend with my finger. then i apply my shadow as usual without any issues.

i don't know what else to suggest when it comes to applying em.

spectrolite

Try warming them in between your hands before applying to help melt the product and make it go on smoother. Also - make sure your eyelids are well moisturized before hand. I think that helps to stop the dragging. Otherwise, yeah... don't use em lol. I have several and I never reach for them any more with all of the new creamy bases, water activated bases, and Greasepaint sticks I now have in my collection. One of these days I'm going to B2M my old shade sticks for an awesome lippie.
smiles.gif

MACATTAK

They tug a lot when they are dry. If they are already dry, I agree with warming them in your hands before applying. In order to prevent new ones from drying out, make sure they are completely closed after using. Usually, when you close them you will hear a click and expect that they are then closed, but guess what....they are still open. I make sure to press down hard, and hear 2 clicks to ensure that the product is really closed. Otherwise, it's going to dry out a lot faster.

rhondavancouver

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleydenise
... it's super rough and they don't go on evenly =[

I'm experiencing the same problem!!!
th_confused_new.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACATTAK
I make sure to press down hard, and hear 2 clicks to ensure that the product is really closed. Otherwise, it's going to dry out a lot faster.

-> I will try this for sure!

ashleydenise

Thanks for the help girls. I'm going to try to warm them before I use them and if that doesn't work i'm gonna b2m those suckers! I have 2 greasepaint sticks and I really like those!

@mabelle that isn't a jerk response, that's something I'd say =]

January

I apply them generously to my finger (to warm them up) than from my finger to the lid (kind of like a paint pot).

ashleydenise

Quote:
Originally Posted by January
I apply them generously to my finger (to warm them up) than from my finger to the lid (kind of like a paint pot).

ohhh good idea, thanks for the tip!

franken_stein

Uh... this is silly, but here's what I do, haha. I sit on it. Well, rather, I put it under my leg or in my pocket while I'm doing my foundation or concealed or whatever. Or even eye primer. Shadestick is often not the first thing I apply, so while I'm applying other makeup I have the shadestick stuck under my leg instead of rubbing between my hands or using a hair dryer as some have suggested.

Hey, it does the trick for me! :p

LMD84

yeah i warm it in my hand before applying by rolling it in my hands for a few seconds. that way it doesnt tug my lids
smiles.gif

thiscarmen

Yeah just warm it by rolling it in your hands before using it, or you can rub the tip of it on your finger before you apply it onto your eyelid just to warm it up so that it's soft enough to apply it on your eyelid.

Then the best advice is to not buy them ever again hahaha.

amber_j

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMD84
yeah i warm it in my hand before applying by rolling it in my hands for a few seconds. that way it doesnt tug my lids
smiles.gif

I do the same. A few of my s/s still drag but I think that's maybe because they have more glitter particles in them.

Warm them up and you'll find them easier to use
thmbup.gif

Twinkle_Twinkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by erine1881
i LOVE shadesticks! i use em every single day. i have no probs using them and don't understand why people have such a hard time.
th_dunno.gif

i draw a light layer on my lid only and then blend with my finger. then i apply my shadow as usual without any issues.

i don't know what else to suggest when it comes to applying em.

Some of the shades tug more than others, so I am afraid to use them too often because I don't want wrinkly eyelids.

Twinkle_Twinkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMD84
smiles.gif

I always see people say this, do you roll the whole Shadestick [packaging] in you hand, or are you rolling up the product, and then warming that in your hand?

kaliraksha

I "slice" a little product off when I want to use them and add my own pigment or shadows with a little mixing medium sometimes and use it alone or under shadows. But warming it in some way definitely helps... I leave mine on my warm computer when I'm getting ready to use it.

Latest posts