Shadow under lower lashes question

fishchick72

I see this look a lot, even in the FOTDs here. This may be a stupid question, but I cannot figure out how to achieve this. I've tried various brushes that I have, but I just can't get the shadow to adhere well or stay under the lower lashes. Now I'm not talking about lining with shadow, that I can do very well, I was actually shocked at how easy it was, I was expecting it to be much harder. But I see people line with one color & then put another color under that (sometimes the same as is on the lid, sometimes something else & it's a thicker line of shadow than the lining line). I hope I explained it well, can anyone help me achieve this??

kimmy

i'd go with an angled brush to achieve that, if you're looking for a brush. i use a spone tip applicator when doing that and just smudge it and clean it up a little to create the perfect line. i don't personally have any mac brushes, but you may want to check out the 208, 263 or the catherine deneuve small angle brush
smiles.gif
good luck!

afterglow

I actually use my 228 small shader to do the job. I have a 208, but since it's so precise, I always get a harsh line. The 228 makes it have a nice soft edge, which I like a lot better.

bellaetoile

i second the 228 brush. i found it at a CCO for relatively cheap (for a mac brush), so i picked it up, and for the longest time had no clue what to do with it. i just started using it on the bottom lashline, to pack on color, and it works super well, because its so soft, it doesn't irritate your eyes, and the color payoff is pretty good.

MissMisah

it took me forever to figure this one out...buuuuut this is what i do:

first, i line my lower lashline with eyeliner
then i take my 219 brush and blend it out a lil (the eyeliner helps to adhere the color too!)
then with the same brush, i take the color i wanna put down there and i just blend it around my lashline ...

then sometimes, i take a black eyeshadow (usually carbon) and add a lil of that with my brush to help smoke it out.

hth!!!
smiles.gif

koolmnbv

I do pretty much almost exactly what Miss Misah said above. I also had a problem with this, and it irritated me because it seems so easy, just put a lil color under there but mine would never turn out like other ppls.

But now I put on whatever reg. liner I choose first
then sometimes I will take my 266 and draw the colored line on first (sometimes I do this sometimes I cant be bothered with this step)also if I use do this step I usually make the color a lil darker or I use a slightly darker shade (because when I smudge it will lighten up)
then I will take my 219 and rough and smudge the colored line and then take whatever color is on my lid or color that I want to line with and use the 219 to smudge it up under the lower lashes and blend it out at the outter corner
then sometimes (another step I only do sometimes) I will take my 219 again and a darker color like carbon or black tied and smudge it on the outter 1/3 corner of my lashes and up into the corner.

Also another thing might help is whatever paint or primer/base you are using smudge it under your lower lashes in the beginning when you prep your eye (you can clean it up later if it looks a lil sloppy) but it will help the color stick a lil better just like on lid.

Hope this helps, I become a lil bit of a raver once I get going so sorry for the long answer. It was completely unnecessary and could have been answered in many fewer words!! Lol

KJam

I use the 266 brush, mositened with a little Fix+. The eyeliner mixing medium is also amazing to do this with pigments.

d_flawless

i couldn't agree more with missmisah...i do almost the same thing (apply shadow over black eyeliner w/ the 219) and i get great color payoff and the perfect smokey look!

fishchick72

thanks everyone! I'll be looking at the 219 or 228 as my next brush purchase. The only MAC brush I own so far is the 266 & I love it for lining.

Jennifer Mcfly

I used to use the 219, but then I discovered the Sonia Kashuk small angle brush. It's almost like the 266 but bigger. It's pretty firm so it gives a decent line (thickness wise) when you want something bolder then using the 266. and at around $5 it's a steal!! I love it! I haven't used anything else for my lower lashline since I got it! My 219 brush hates me, i know!
lol.gif

fishchick72

I'm thinking maybe I just can't wear e/s like this, when I do get some under there I feel like it REALLY shows off the fine lines & wrinkles I have there. Anyone else have that problem??

lindsay

i'm surprised no one has mentioned the 212 brush... i recently bought it and i don't use it for anything but lining with shadow underneath my lashes... it's very good for packing color on and i find it to be a lot easier for application because it's flat, rather than angled. i also agree with the 219, but i find that brush to work better for a smudged look. if you want a thiner line, try the 212
smiles.gif

ll*sugar

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishchick72
I'm thinking maybe I just can't wear e/s like this, when I do get some under there I feel like it REALLY shows off the fine lines & wrinkles I have there. Anyone else have that problem??

i have the EXACT same problem!! i tried using a base.. like a paint on the lashline and then i put shadow on it hoping that it will give it more lasting power.. but it still smudges into the little fine lines underneath my eye... like my eyebags

lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishchick72

Do you wear concealer or foundation under your eyes? If you do, you need to powder it off really well to counter-act all the movement and moisture found around the eye area. This in turn will act like a good firm base to apply eye colour, and because the base is stable, the eyeshadow should remain stable as well.

If you want colour or depth under the eye without highlighting any bags or fine lines, try only keeping the colour on the outer 3rd of the eye. Out here there's less moisture and movement, so product is less likely to 'fall' into creases.

Hoodie

I usually put a little beiging shade stick (the mini's work well), and use the 266 brush. It usually stays all day and has good color payoff!

fishchick72

Quote:
Originally Posted by lara
Do you wear concealer or foundation under your eyes? If you do, you need to powder it off really well to counter-act all the movement and moisture found around the eye area. This in turn will act like a good firm base to apply eye colour, and because the base is stable, the eyeshadow should remain stable as well.

If you want colour or depth under the eye without highlighting any bags or fine lines, try only keeping the colour on the outer 3rd of the eye. Out here there's less moisture and movement, so product is less likely to 'fall' into creases.

I NEVER wear concealer & very rarely wear foundation.
I've tried applying a base, but my eyes water sometimes & the base will just disappear in my tears before I even get to apply the shadow. I think maybe this look is just not for me.............