Shelf life and re-bringing out products

Nessy

Hi

I know i seem to be asking alot of questions but this one is bugging me slight, right i was reading this post GENERAL FAQ: Shelf-life of cosmetics - Specktra.Net and being a "new starter" i was quite shocked to find out that eyeshadow only lasts 2 years :| i knew about the mascara ect. Anyway i know that im not going to use half the stuff i want to get in that time especially the pigments. So my question mainly is does anyone know if MAC bring out the same shade over and over again e.g mutiny will they bring that back out in 2 years time so you can re-buy the colour?
th_dunno.gif
Also does anyone have MAC eyeshadow from 2/3/4 ect years ago, does it still work?

Thanks for any help, sorry to be a pain asking so many questions

Nessy xx
smiles.gif

newagetomatoz

I don't have MAC shadows specifically that are over two years old, but I got some pigments off of Specktra that are from 2004 and are still fine. I even use shadows that are way older than two years old with no problem. I go by smell and feel; if there is any new smell or change in texture (usually for the worse) then I say that it has gone bad and chuck it.

Also, I don't believe that MAC routinely re-releases colors every two years. Some colors they will bring out again, but very rarely. Generally once a color comes out, its only out then until it sells out, never to be seen in MAC production factories again. lol

FiestyFemme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simply Elegant
I don't go by deadlines except for mascara. As long as the colour, texture and smell haven't changed, I'm using it.

Same here. I'm not throwing away perfectly good makeup.

starangel2383

same here, but if they do change for the worse, i will just take them in for part of the Back 2 MAC program. (but only if they are mac products of course.)

erine1881

powder shadows, pigments and blushes don't expire. the items that you wanna keep an eye out for are cream or liquid products. macaras are good for 3 months at the longest. foundations are another item you wanna keep an eye on. if the texture/color/smell changes, replace it.

xxManBeaterxx

I agree with erine1881 i think power things can last for years or decades if stored in a cool dry place, if its not contaminated like dipping your brush into whe whole pigment jar. Eyeshadows can form a thin film of oil after a while that you may need to remove the top layer with a napkin, same with blushes. I also have the coco pigment from 2004 and gold dusk from 2003(i think its that old) and they are fine.

Liquid and lipstics and creams, when they start to go bad and rancid you will notice a huge difference in smell, texture, taste, application. Those normally can keep 2-3 years.

erine1881

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxManBeaterxx
I agree with erine1881 i think power things can last for years or decades if stored in a cool dry place, if its not contaminated like dipping your brush into whe whole pigment jar. Eyeshadows can form a thin film of oil after a while that you may need to remove the top layer with a napkin, same with blushes. I also have the coco pigment from 2004 and gold dusk from 2003(i think its that old) and they are fine.

Liquid and lipstics and creams, when they start to go bad and rancid you will notice a huge difference in smell, texture, taste, application. Those normally can keep 2-3 years.

pigments are ok even if you dip your brush in the jar. what you don't wanna do is dip your brush in the jar if its wet. once you introduce water into any powder product you run the risk of bacterial growth. then it will go bad. i have fiction shadow thats almost 10 years old and still works fine.

Nessy

Thanks for all the replys, i wanted to start my own collection up and was worried that i wouldnt go through all the makeup, Thankfully i will just have to keep a eye out on everything and make a note of when i bought it (Already put a new part in my MAC document).

Thanks again everyone

Nessy xx

User49

Mac do bring out the same colours a lot of times. When we go on our update training we get a thing called an update book which shows us all the products in the collection and it has little symbols next to the product which indicate weather it is a repromotoe, a limited edition, one that we are keeping in the range and so and and so forth. So yes mac to bring out the same things. But if you look at every collection you can totally find dupes of the products in the regular collection!

Latest posts