Shepherd's Pie for dinner!! WITH RECIPE! (24/04/2008)

Xqueeze_me

*I just reheated and finished the remaining/leftover about 5 hours ago. It tastes so much better!! I suppose the essence/aroma of the ingredients sets in overnight?*

Just when I remembered salt and pepper, thinking I will get it later, I completely forgot to add them!!!
angry.gif

Simmering...
Meatbase.jpg

Layering - Potatoes looks orange because I used half washed potatoes & half sweet potatoes
Layering.jpg

On the table..
Layered.jpg

Ta Da!!
Finishedresult.jpg

THE RECIPE

INGREDIENTS
I add seasonings and some ingredients by feel

• Olive Oil (Amount used is up to you)
  • 1kg Beef OR Lamb (I used beef but would love to try lamb next time!)
  • 1 Large onion - Finely diced
  • Garlic - Finely chopped (Optional. I LOVE garlic so I added that to my recipe)
  • 1 Carrot - Finely diced (I used 1.5 carrots)
  • 2 Celery sticks - Finely diced
  • 1/4 cup Tomato paste
  • Worcestershire sauce (I add about 5 dashes)
  • 410g can Tomato puree
  • 1/2 cup Beef stock (I used hot water + a cube of Maggi beef stock, didn't bring it to boil)
  • 1/2 Red wine (Optional and your choice of Red)
  • Herbs (Dry or fresh and type is your choice)
  • 1 cup Frozen peas & corn mix (Up to you. I used both)
  • Finely grated Parmesan cheese
  • Salt and pepper to taste (HAVE TO REMEMBER THIS!!)

Topping

• 750g Potatoes - Peeled and chopped
  • 750g Sweet potatoes - Peeled and chopped
  • 1/4 cup Milk (Up to you. Add a little more if you want it "fluffier")
  • 25g Butter - Chopped (So you can mash it in with the potatoes easily!)

INSTRUCTIONS

1. Heat olive oil in large saucepan, add beef/lamb in batches, add a sprinkle of herbs of your choice and cook until browned all over. Remove from heat and set it aside.

2. Heat olive oil in another pan (make sure you can fit the following ingredients in this pan!!), add garlic and cook until its slightly browned then add onions. Cook onions until translucent and soft. Add carrot and celery. Once again, this is by feel. I prefer cooking both carrot and celery until almost completely cooked.

3. While cooking vegetables, pour boiled water into a bowl (I used slightly more than 1/2 cup) and drop in a cube of beef stock. If you prefer or feel more confident using the already-made beef stock from the supermarket shelves, then use that. After the beef stock is made/heated, pour into the saucepan with the beef/lamb.

4. When you feel that the vegetables are "almost there", add the tomato puree and tomato paste and stir. Please be careful because the puree might splatter when the heat is too high. Once again, its the feel. When the pan with vegetables, tomato puree and paste are completely heated, pour the contents into the beef/lamb.

5. Stir the mixture thoroughly, add the frozen peas and corn mix. Stir mixture thoroughly again then add Worcestershire sauce and red wine. I find that adding the red wine actually makes the mixture less sour.

6. REMEMBER SALT AND PEPPER!!

7. Bring the mixture to boil, then simmer uncovered. It depends on how much moisture/liquid you want in the mixture. I prefer it with enough moisture to prevent the mixture from drying out when you have leftovers and reheating it. (Like so in the first picture in this post)

8. I made a mistake of not boiling the potatoes earlier but this shuffling/arrangement of what to cook first is entirely up to you. PREHEAT oven to 210 degrees Celcius. I had the potatoes peeled and chopped (before the cooking started) then dunk them all into a pot of COLD water the whole time I was cooking the base. So bring that to boil until potatoes are cooked and good enough to mash!

9. Remove pot from heat, drain hot water then mash them taters/potatoes (haha!) with milk and butter. Season with salt and pepperer.

10. Pour lamb into large ovenproof dish 3L/8cups capacity then spread evenly with spatula you used for cooking earlier. Spoon mashed potatoes over beef/lamb then spread evenly. Sprinkle with cheese then baked in oven until the topping is lightly browned!

My instructions tend to be long-winded unfortunately but I hope you all managed to get here and read this without falling asleep!

ENJOY COOKING! I hope whoever you're cooking for will appreciate the effort and find this yummy!!
winks.gif

urbanlilyfairy

Re: Shepherd's Pie for dinner!! (24/04/2008)

man that looks deliciuos ....! recpie please !!! hehe ...my mouth is watering lol

gigglegirl

seriously...that looks so freaking yummy, thanks for sharing---I like how you used sweet potatoes too--I've never used them before, but am definitely intrigued!

Xqueeze_me

Thanks!

I will be posting the recipe here later.. after I get home from work.

It's currently 4.28am and I really need to go to sleep. I have to work later at 2.30pm and it's a 'wake'. :S

Today is a public holiday in Australia.
Anzac Day = Public Holiday = Public Holiday rate!! = $$ for MAC?!
greengrin.gif

.... or rent
ssad.gif

purrtykitty

That looks delish...and more importantly, something my husband would eat! Yet one more request for the recipe!

MAC_Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xqueeze_me
Anzac Day = Public Holiday = Public Holiday rate!! = $$ for MAC?!
greengrin.gif

.... or rent
ssad.gif

Now I want Anzac bisquits and shepards pie.

Le-Saboteur

Oooh, looks gooood. Yum, pie! Even though bacon and egg is my all time favourite, shepherds pie is also nice
greengrin.gif

I've never made shepherds pie (I've eaten it numerous times, of course), I think I'll give yours a go sometime.

VeXedPiNk

MMMMM!!! I love mixing sweet potatoes with regular potatoes, but have never thought of doing it for shepherd's pie!

Thanks for the recipe! I definitely wanna try it out!