Shopping online even though store is close?

radarlove

Am I the only one who does this?

I have 3 MAC counters that are really close to me, within a 20 minute walk each. However, I much prefer to order stuff online and have it delivered! I feel really weird for this, but I just don't really enjoy shopping in a MAC store. I hate having to wait until an MA is free (which can sometimes take aaages and ages) and I find them a bit intimidating sometimes. It makes the whole experience kind of awkward! There are many benefits to shopping in a physical store, like being able to see the colours and stuff. Sometimes I'll even go look at the colours and then decide what I want and order online!

I feel a bit guilty having stuff delivered when I'm so close to a store but shopping in a store is just not a great experience for me. Am I a weirdo...does anyone else agree?

Mabelle

Honestly, i do think thats pretty weird.
I've never ordered anything off the website. I need to see it in person before i buy it. I find that the website pictures are not representative of the actual colours at all. As good as specktra's swatches are, sometimes a colour just isnt what you think it in until you've touched it and seen it for youself.

For me buying mac up is a whole expirience. I like being told about the benefits of a certain product, or diffrent ways to use it. Most of the MUA's around me are great, so i like chatting with them for a few minutes. Plus i would hate to pay shipping and waste all that packaging to have something shipped to me if i could just go buy it.
I don;t mean to be a debbie downer, but i think it's really important to be enviromentally consious. When you order a product theres the flight that goes into shipping it (or a truck ride) the extra packaging and then the truck ride to deliver it to your house. I just think it's a huge amount of waste.
th_dunno.gif

abbyquack

No, I do the same thing sometimes, or I'll order from my friend who works at a counter in a different state. It's not weird, and you should just do whatever makes you feel comfortable. I think sometimes I buy too much at the store b/c I feel pressured by the MAs b/c they always try to sell me so many things, so sometimes if there's a free shipping code or whatever, I'd just assume buy online. Plus right now isn't so bad, but it used to be that the gas $$ and then tax on top makes it more expensive at the store.

Simply Elegant

I never do that. I'd much rather just buy from the store. The MAs at the counter I normally go to are always really sweet but if they weren't and there was no other counter or store close by, maybe I'd order online, but it is a bit weird. To me it's so much more of an inconvenience to buy online.

NatalieMT

My closest counter is about 20/25 minutes away, in the same department store that I work weekends in. It's pretty easy for me to just pop down to the cosmetics hall and pick up what I need on breaks but around this time of year it's just been hectic. The counter is small yet always packed, can't get 5 minutes to look at anything, lots of things sold out. The MAs aren't the problem for me though, I find them all absolutely lovely. They always stop and say hello to me in the locker/staff room and are generally very helpful, always give me staff discount too which is a bonus. They know I buy a lot, but I've never felt pushed into buying anything. I say I'm just picking up 'X amount of lipsticks from X collection' and they help my find the best shades for me.

I do understand you when you say it's sometimes just easier and less hassle to shop online. I can sit in my own home, browse everything at leisure, look for swatches and reviews online, purchase everything together and take advantage of free shipping. Plus avoid Christmas madness!

Usually however I'd much prefer to get the 'store experience', it can be a lot of fun, especially if I'm in my second home of Florida. I love the Pro store there at the Mall of Millenia, it's amazing. <3 I'm always in a happy mood there!

jdechant

I am sure that if I went to the MAC store all the time I would probably come out with more then I intended too...not because the MUA pressures me or I feel guilty, but because things that i didn't like the look of online could totally look different in person..lol...Unfortunately I am 8 hours away from my nearest MAC counter..so my only way of purchasing most of the time IS online...now do I prefer it? Well...no not really...cause like everyone said, Online is sometimes not a clear representation of the product...so swatching does help. But i do find that being on specktra helps to get a more percise description of the product even though you can't see it. I like to do my research before I buy. I will look at swatches, view people's FOTD's using the product or listen to them rave about it or hate it on the Collection forums...But I say whatever works for you...Its not weird..its just your personal preference!

I think you should do your research online...go into that MAC store with your head held high, and then YOU tell the MUA what YOU want her to go and get for you so that you can view everything in person before you buy. That way, I feel it will take off some of the awkwardness as you are going in there knowing what you want. I don't think the MUA is there to intimidate you, they are supposed to be there to help you. I know you can do it!!
yes.gif

s0_fam0us

...lol I'm sort of the opposite. I looooove sitting here online and looking at all the stuff, but I'm SO IMPATIENT. I'm all about instant gratification, so if I can go to a store and get it, I'm going to, rather than wait the few days for shipping. I think that's why I make so many trips to the CCOs (one's about 40 minutes from me, the other about an hour and a half-ish) - even though I can get the same stuff from people on here, I'd rather have it when I want it.

radarlove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabelle
I don;t mean to be a debbie downer, but i think it's really important to be enviromentally consious. When you order a product theres the flight that goes into shipping it (or a truck ride) the extra packaging and then the truck ride to deliver it to your house. I just think it's a huge amount of waste.
th_dunno.gif

Yeah I totally agree, it's an environmental disaster to get things delivered when I'm so close. Honestly, that's enough to make me suck it up and go to the store, or just stick to Sephora where I can pick out my own stuff =/

radarlove

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatalieMT
My closest counter is about 20/25 minutes away, in the same department store that I work weekends in. It's pretty easy for me to just pop down to the cosmetics hall and pick up what I need on breaks but around this time of year it's just been hectic. The counter is small yet always packed, can't get 5 minutes to look at anything, lots of things sold out.

Yeah, all the stores near me are unbelievably busy. Sometimes I'll be standing there for what feels like half an hour before I can nab someone to help me. And I often feel pressured too, which is really annoying. I really appreciate when they recommend colours to me but it can get excessive! Oh well, that's sales I guess.

Meryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabelle

Some one is going to use the gas, either radarlove when she drives to the mall, or the mail truck who is probably going past her house anyway...
th_dunno.gif

jdechant

^^ Very true!! Can't make someone feel guilty about purchasing online..lol ..If she doesn't that day, someone else will...those are what people are hired for...Lol.

NatalieMT

I was going to say I have to drive 20/25 minutes to the counter, if I take the bus it's like an hour. That's not environmentally friendly either! The MAC packaging is often good for re-using too, when I send to people from Specktra or MUA I always reuse that packaging.

I know what s0_fam0us means about the instant gratification of going to the store though, it's quite a buzz for me. I placed an order on the MAC website Sunday evening and it's like 'get here already'.
lol.gif
I'm so impatient too.

I find I tend to impulse buy more online aswell, it's far too easy to click add to bag and not think about the money because it's all virtual and there is no action of handing over the $$$ and saying bye byes to the hard earned cash. That's what gets me!

Mabelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meryl
Some one is going to use the gas, either radarlove when she drives to the mall, or the mail truck who is probably going past her house anyway...

thats really not the same thing. It's either a huge delivery truck is carting you're package around, which uses a lot more gas. or you drive to a store near you. Besides, she said there were 3 stores near her that were a 20 min walk from each other.

I think we could all make a effort for the sake of our planet and try to live greener, even if it means making you wait for 10 mins in a mac store and feeling a bit akward. I think we are too used to/dependent onn modern conviences, and we take advantage of them. If you live 8 hours from a Mac store, by all means order! Driving 8 hours would be insane. But if you live 15 mins away, thats a bit ridiculous in my opinion.
I really don't mean to sound bitchy, or come off as rude, so please don;t take it that way. I just feel that we should all take small steps to live greener and help our planet out.
that is all
smiles.gif

Lizzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meryl
th_dunno.gif

It wouldn't use any gas because it's a 20 minute walk from her house. Even if she did drive, they wouldn't ship it from the counter/store near her... it would have a longer way to travel.

I agree that the website is there so that people can look/buy, but I also agree with the point brought up by Mabelle.

Stephy171

thats interesting... its true what they say though

"To each is own"

I cannot oder something online unless it is something i have used before... yeah im pretty anal but i dont like guessing what someting would be like especially for the mac prices... like cherrycultire yeahh i just tried raandom things but thats cheap lol.... plus im majorly impatient i hate waiting for shipping
lol.gif

MrsRjizzle

I love going to my store. but the online cart is really helpful for me. If I am almost out of something I will add it to my cart and if something else comes out I want I do the same. By the time I am ready to actually get the stuff it is easier just to submit my order there verses going to the store and take a chance they ,may be out of something.

jdechant

I know that you can phone the stores and do an order. What you could do, is give your nearest MAC a call. Let them know everything that you want. They will package everything up for you and then you can got there and pick it up. No pressure or waiting for a MUA to help you, right??
smiles.gif

radarlove

I consider myself fairly environmentally conscious (I'm taking Environmental Studies at university!) so the wasted energy thing gets me. Yes, I would be walking the store. However, we can't all be perfect - we all have our little quirks, right? I find shopping at MAC a little anxiety-inducing, so it's a matter of weighing the risks and benefits.

I should get over it though, and just go to the store. It is fun to browse the colours and I'm sure I'd get over it quickly. Plus I do buy less at the store because NatalieMT mentioned I have to physically hand the cash over vs. ordering online which is so easy. I'll just throw something in my bag to try it out and sometimes it'll come and I'll hate it - what a waste!

I'm going to have to wait until after the holidays to go though =/ because I know the stores will be insanely busy during this time.