Should I give my hairdresser the 'cut'?!

makeup4ever

Hi Everyone! Any hairdressers in here?
My hairdresser left the salon he used to work at and now cuts hair at his home for a reduced price but it's for a cut only - no wash, no curling/straightening, a bit of a blow dry and that's it! I'm in and out within 30 mins which is good but I'm starting to feel like his haircuts are lacking any style and I'm getting what I'm paying for. He used to tell me what would look great on me, what he wanted to do and with my feedback we'd work together on a great hairstyle. Now I have to go in with freshly washed hair which he cuts dry (he says it's easier) and I find I'm "naming" my hairstyles; my last few have been, 'Princess Mary' which was okay and workable, next I asked for a longer modified version of Victoria Beckham (aka Posh Spice) and walked out with 'Dora the Explorer' without the bangs and too short in front and I swore it would be my last visit! But I tried one more time and he gave me a great cut that I called, 'Amazing'!! And went on to have good hair days until my next visit. I told him how happy I was with his last cut and just to do the same but keep the length. Well.. my new haircut is called... 'Mushroom Mullet'!!! I hate it! It's like thick, full bangs around the circumfrence of my head (mid-ear) and thin, long and sparse in the length. It doesn't even feel trimmed or gradually taper down as I think it should and now he wants to charge a little extra each visit! I think the only thing that is really keeping me is that he gives out alot of my business cards (makeup artist) and I've gotten a few freelance jobs from them but not enough for me to warrant paying extra for crappy haircuts without any pampering services!! Being too cheap is really costing me, now I'm back to bad hair days, ugh! So upsetting!
What do you all think? Should I give him the 'cut'?! I know it's a yes. Thanks in advance!

purrtykitty

Yeah, I think so...especially if you're a MUA. If my MUA walked in with a 'Mushroom Mullet', as you describe it, I'd have some serious reservations about her abilities as an artist. If she thought a mullet was OK, who knows what look I'd end up with on my face!

CantAffordMAC

If you're not happy with him, then I'd find someone else. I do not understand why he isnt consistent as a stylist....he sounds as though he is becoming lazy. You are paying your hard earned money...pay a little extra and leave with what you asked for, plus an actual style (not just a cut)

Try to break it to him easily, so there won't be any tension. But be honest. Maybe you guys can figure out the problem, maybe he doesn't realize you are unhappy (if you're not speaking up). Or maybe its just time to go your separate ways

Good luck
smiles.gif

benzito_714

I would definitely find another stylist but still keep your current stylist around. Since you've been a constant customer of his, he may be taking your business for granted without noticing that he is doing so. You should go (without making a big fuss) to someone who can really give you what you want.

user79

Quote:
Originally Posted by makeup4ever
What do you all think? Should I give him the 'cut'?! I know it's a yes.

I think you answered your own question here.

He sounds kind of on and off, I'd find a new hairdresser for sure, who gives you a great look every time.

KittieSparkles

I would give him the axe. I would have given him the axe with the first hair disaster. To me he sounds lazy, that is fine if all he wants to do is cuts but at least he should do a great job with that since he is not offering any other service.

Cheap or no cheap you are still paying for a service and if you are not satisfied with the service you are just throwing your money away.

lovely333

It is time to say goodbye. I have had too many bad haircuts trying to be loyal. They collect the money and my head looks a fool! I know by going to him he hands out your cards but some times we just have to let go. It would be different if his cuts were consistant, you could style your own hair.

makeup4ever

He used to work at a really posh hair salon and then go to teach students how to cut hair so I always had a very precise, great cut. Now it's just hacked into and I can't give him any more chances. No more bad hair days for me! Thanks for all your feedback.

Brittni

There are some things you can be cheap with. Hair styling you can't be. You get what you pay for. My friend and I were just having this discussion earlier tonight because I'm used to going to Cost Cutters and dealing with n00b stylists who don't even know the effing eyebrow pencil shaping trick. Thankfully, I've only ever gotten one kind of lowlite/highlite but I'm ready to do something dramatic (color and cut wise) and want expertise opinion like those kind of salons you go into that just KNOW what looks good with face shape, color, etc... I said, go out and experience what else there is to offer. It doesn't sound like he is going anywhere LOL