Should I use a primer?

DaisyDee

I'm just starting to get into foundation..wearing it a couple of times a week...

Should I use a primer? I have oily skin (and I'm 38) ... I want to "prime" my skin so I can have the smoothest appearance with the least amount of makeup, but will I end up feeling like I have gunk caked up on my face?

Will it make me more oily? Does a primer really make a big diff?

Thanks in advance!
smiles.gif

user3

I just ordered this one primer that I've heard great things about. I am super oily and have yet to find a primer that really last. I've tried almost everything out there.
The only primer I would even rec is Garden Botanika's
one for oily skin. You can also get samples of this here for $3.

MoM works pretty well and even better if you do a mask about twice a week.

Once I've tried the Bliss one for a week I will let you know how well it works.

DaisyDee

Thanks
smiles.gif

I've heard about the MoM but never actually tried it. I keep thinking I will "grow out" of being oily, but at this rate, I guess not anytime soon. LOL

user3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyDee
Thanks
smiles.gif

I've heard about the MoM but never actually tried it. I keep thinking I will "grow out" of being oily, but at this rate, I guess not anytime soon. LOL

LOL it's like me thinking as get older the acne will go away. Yeah right!

Sadly for most of us oily gals it never stops. My mom is oily, her mom is her and grandmother was oily. I doubled slammed because dad's side was oily too. All I can say is everyone looks great for their age!
My mom is almost 50 and doesn't even look to be in her 40's. Grandma is pushing 75 and looks to be in her early 60's. So I often am thankful for those oily genes. Of course I curse them at the sametime. LOL

DaisyDee

Hey, it must be the oilies! My dad has always had oily skin, and is 68 and people freak out when they find out...guys at the county club and golf course will sometimes make him pass around his drivers license to prove his age! LOL

My mom passed away, but she had normal skin and never used soap on it (that was her "beauty secret." She just washed with tepid water and if she needed clarifying, she used a tiny bit of witch hazel and then moisturizer. She was 62 when she died and had gorgeous SOFT skin.

So here's a toast to hopefully carrying on our family genes and looking young for many years to come! Woot!
smiles.gif

DaisyDee

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakes
I've heard that some people use MONISTAT Soothing Care Chafing Relief Powder-Gel as a primer because it contains the same ingredients as Smashbox's Primer. Has anybody tried it?

You can get a free sample on their website-
http://www.soothingcare.com/soothing...ple_buffer.htm

Weird...isn't MONISTAT like yeast infection stuff? Or am I thinking of something else?

I tried MAC Prep & Prime this weekend and did not like it.
ssad.gif

cakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyDee
Weird...isn't MONISTAT like yeast infection stuff? Or am I thinking of something else?

I tried MAC Prep & Prime this weekend and did not like it.
ssad.gif

lol. Yes, Monistat makes stuff for yeast infections but this particular product isn't for that. It's designed to create a barrier on the skin to prevent chaffing - similiar to what primers are used for.

What didn't you like about Prep + Prime? It's at my CCO so I was thinking about picking it up because it's cheaper than other primers but if it doesn't work, then it's just going to be a waste.

bebs

mines a little bit oily but when it gets bad I use HydrAction gel sorbet ultra hydratant by christian dior, it costs a bit more but I find it works like a dream for me.

what I did to find it was go to macys, and wondered around telling the people there what my problem was and then some of them tried things on me and then just ask for a sample like enough for a week or two and find one that really works at home and then go get it

lostcaligirl

I have oily skin as well, but with the addition of a little flackiness on my cheeks (but only when I wear mac foundation). I bought a Primer from a brand called English Ideas. For me it workes really well, and after putting on the rest of my make up I can't feel that I have it on. I also mix it up and some days use Mac's brand called Matte, i think, it comes in a tube a little larger then a cover up tube, but it lasts a long time. With that I usually never do touch ups on my powder through out the day.

luminious

i jus use an oil free moisturizer or macs oil control lotion. i never tried actual primers because moisturizers work well for me and my skin is oily too. i use neutrogenas oil free moisture for sensitive skin then studio fix fluid and blot powder. No oil or shinyness except here and there and ill touch it up with the blot powder.

bellaetoile

i've used smashbox photo finish foundation primer, mac prep and prime skin, and numerous moisturizers, and really, i find theres not that much of a difference. i don't like prep and prime skin, although i did like the smashbox primer, i don't feel there was enough of a difference between it and strobe cream/studio moisture fix to justify buying bottles of $30 primer AND $25 moisturizer. i use studio fix fluid foundation regularly, and always put it over one of my mac moisturizers, now that i've run out of smashbox. strobe cream is awesome, too, because it gives your face a slight sheen.