Sick Pets :(

ElectroCute

My dog is 12 years old and has recently gone blind, among other health issues. Today we discovered he has an ulcer on one eye. We took him to the vet, and they gave him eye drops and said there is a 50/50 chance of these drops making it better. If not, we have two choices: remove his eye or put him down. I am really upset, he has been with me since I was two years old and I can't imagine life without him. The worst thing is I think my parents will opt to put him down due to his other health problems and everything.
weeping.gif
I just need to vent, and I know you are all so kind and understanding, and someone may have had a similar experience and can offer some advice etc.

Taj

My dear doggie is going to be nine years old, and I am starting to worry about him leaving me. I am sure he will leave me some day, so I am telling myself to get prepared and appreciate all the time we share together.
I would take it as an oppourtunity to learn how to cherish. Hope you will give your dog wonderful time before he leaves ! Stay strong !

Taj

My dear doggie is going to be nine years old, and I am starting to worry about him leaving me. I am sure he will leave me some day, so I am telling myself to get prepared and appreciate all the time we share together.
I would take it as an oppourtunity to learn how to cherish. Hope you will give your dog wonderful time before he leaves ! Stay strong !

Lissa

That's really sad, I'm sorry for you. I'm really attached to my pets and am always devastated whenever having to face anything like this with them. Try to stay optimistic as there is still a 50/50 chance the drops will work. If they don't, it's hard but you have to consider the animal's quality of life. A couple of years ago I had to make the difficult decision to have one of my beloved cats put to sleep. It would have been easy to let her linger on so that I could keep her for longer, but it was unfair and she was suffering from many problems and had very little quality of life left, and was basically miserable. I was very upset and still miss her, but she couldn't have continued like that. I'm sure your parents would make any necessary decisions based on his quality of life.

It's really hard to face up to losing a well-loved pet, so I'm sorry you're having to go through this. *hugs* It will be OK

dizzygal

When I had to have my dear sweet bulldog put to sleep it was very sudden (sometimes this is better) I still always think of her and cherish the memories.Take some time to spoil your dear doggie and should the sad time be soon take comfort in the fact that you all love him

grouphug2.gif

prinzessin784

I'm sorrry
ssad.gif
I sort of understand how you feel - my doggie is 13 and coming up on that time too. it's no fun, but just remember the good times you had and know that it's better for him to be put down than to suffer.

Kelaia

So sorry to hear this
ssad.gif
Animals suffering breaks my heart.

A few years ago, I made the choice to let my 14 year old cat go. She had leukemia and the meds the Vet gave her were not working
ssad.gif
I still remember the day I had her put to sleep and drove home with her in the back of my car, crying my eyes out. My husband helped me to bury her in our back garden. I still get sad thinking about it now, but I know that she had a really full life and was an adorable cat, but I could never make an animal suffer more than it should have to.

I hope the drops work for your dog, ElectroCute. You'll be in my thoughts.
th_hug.gif

Beauty Mark

I hate to say it, but sometimes death is the kindest solution to a pet. If an animal is in pain, it's really better for them not to suffer.

I grew up with pets, so I have two stories about how euthanizing an animals is a kind solution.

When I was 5, we had a dog who had lots of health problems. She couldn't walk up the steps well and was in constant pain from who knows what. Putting her down was so difficult but I still think it was the right thing. Her last moments on earth were still very good and if there is a heaven and all animals go there, I like to think she remembers those happily and doesn't remember too much of the suffering.

When I left for college, we had two dogs. They were like 13 and 11 years old. They had some health problems (one had seizures, one was nutty as hell) but were fine overall, and I loved them dearly. When my father moved in with his girlfriend, she didn't want the dogs so he dropped them off at a shelter. I found this out while I was in college. I wanted him to remove them from the shelter and put them down, because I couldn't imagine anyone adopting two huge dogs who are that old and have their health problems; people generally want a younger dog. It still breaks my heart to think that my dogs' last memories on earth were probably at a shelter, traumatized by the upheaval; he was pretty much neglecting them before moving in with his girlfriend, anyway, so that really hurts. I still haven't forgiven my father for doing that to my dogs (and still cry about it, am crying about it now), and the dogs must be dead from old age by now. In your instance, your actions would be more understandable, but at the same time, if the quality of life goes down to the point there's more suffering than not, I think putting your pet down is the best thing. It's going to hurt like hell and still make you feel sad, but you eventually realize it was the right thing to do. The last memories aren't going to be as bad as seeing your pet basically suffer and die off.

I hate being morbid, but I don't think I'd want to find my pet dead in my house, either. I don't know how sick your dog is, but if the health problems are bad enough, it could happen. I personally would rather make sure my current pet, a cat, had one last great day on earth if only for myself.

Katura

I know exactly how you feel. I had a chow-sharpei mix (it was the sweetest do for being 2 types that arent usually so nice) and She was hit by a truck when she was a puppy, the man who had owned her paid upwards of 3k to get her legspelvis pinned back together and took great care of her. He moved out of our rental and asked us to find a good home for her, and she was welcomed into ours. She had awful arthritis as she got older and was on pain/arthetic meds for that. She had an ulcer in one eye three summers ago, and the eye was removed (they tried fixing it in surgury but couldnt) the following summer she had one in the other eye, which thankfully they were able to save. She kept on happily with her heds and eye drops...but about a month ago i came home to find her limping very badly...she had been perky and fine the day before. within two days she couldnt walk, I had to carry her outside (she weighed 65 lbs) and hold her up so she could go to the bathroom (difficult) and she cried constantly whe nsomeone wasnt with her. I was the only one who could get her to eat anything...and by that time I knew she was going to have to be put down because of all of her pain..I gave her treats...and she loved vanilla ice cream and popsicles...so i gave her those...

but we had to put her down. It was a very overwhelming experience (that doesnt even begin to describe it) but you'll know what's best when the time comes. She lived for 14 years, a happy full life, and traveled with us across the country.
smiles.gif

In the end everything will turn out well, youll know whats best for your pup.

....now I miss my dog...
ssad.gif

kimmy

i have the same problem right now.
ssad.gif
our dog, who is about seventeen and has been with us for at least fourteen years just went to the vet this morning and the doctor said "you can put him down or wait it out for the next week or so, but he isn't going to get any better." and it's killing me. i can't imagine not having him around and not ever seeing him again. it's such a bummer. but i suppose the bright side is, that if it comes down to where you have to put him to sleep, at least he won't feel any pain and he'll go peacefully. and yesterday my mom said to me "remember that movie 'all dogs go to heaven'? it's true, so don't worry about him."
smiles.gif

i hope you feel better and i really hope he gets better! there's a fifty percent chance, so just hope for the best! if you ever need anyone to talk to, don't hesitate to drop me a pm.
winks.gif

dizzygal

For anyone who has lost their dear pet

Turn left just before Heaven and there is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies it goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food and water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable. All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing: they miss someone very special to them; who had to be left behind.They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. The bright eyes are intent; the eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to break away from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster. YOU have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together.......

ANON

giz2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzygal
For anyone who has lost their dear pet

Turn left just before Heaven and there is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies it goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food and water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable. All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing: they miss someone very special to them; who had to be left behind.They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. The bright eyes are intent; the eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to break away from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster. YOU have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together.......

ANON

I love this...it helped me get through some rough times when my dogs died...hugs to you hun...

ElectroCute

Luckily the eye drops worked and he is better, but it just reminded me how old and sick he really is... but I'm going to try and be positive and enjoy the time I have with him. I'm so sorry to anyone who has lost their pets, or whose pets are also sick - hugs to all of you.
smiles.gif