Sigma Brushes

lenchen

I decided to order the sigma travel brush set because the MAC travel sets aren't the greatest.I placed an order for the sigma travel set in black, and I recieved the free ss187 brush. The brushes are ok, the smaller brushes that come in the set were pretty good for the most part. I was so impressed with the 239, that I decided to order the full sized one to use for foiling my ms eye shadows and pigments, but I had a huge downside, the dye bleeding issues the travel ss150 didn't shed much but it bled a lot! so did the free 187 brush even after 10 washes. Not good I won't buy anymore brushes from them.

tina1wina13

mmmm, I ordered a sigma 187 a long time ago. I don't know how you can't tell the difference between the MAC 187 and the SS187, the SS187 has very few "skunk" white bristles, and I usually LOVE the 188 or 187 for foundation but the SS187 left it streaky and shed a lot, the brush thined a bit, I ended up swapping it for some eyeshadows. I'm still very skeptical of buying any other Sigma brushes. The price hike was a huge red flag for me. Just because they got a bunch of advertising and probably had to make up the profits they lost for giving out so many free brush sets to gurus so they can rave about them and give them away like candy, they hiked the price. I am not trying to be mean, I am just being honest, I don't think unreputable companies that I hear about on youtube are worthy of my money anymore, especially if they have to give out a lot of free product to get people to buy their stuff. I think I will stick to my MAC ones, the OG brushes! lol

Sass

After going back and forth as to whether or not to buy Sigma brushes, I have accumulated a good amount of MAC brushes so I am finally close to having all of the MAC brushes I want. It would be nice to have back up brushes so that I don't have to wash my brushes everyday, but every other day. So far so good with just having a set of MAC brushes. I've bought other types of brushes as well in between buying MAC brushes and don't use them anymore and much prefer my MAC brushes. I'm so afraid that I will choose my MAC brushes over Sigma's if I order them. That would be more a waste of money. Anyway, it seems like it's a hit or miss with the Sigma brushes so I'll hold off some more...

LoveStoned

i was thinking of buying the complete set in pink, as well as the little pink travel set, but now, after reading your reviews, i'm not sure any more
oh.gif

i'm currently using EcoTools brushes and i'm very satisfied with them, especially because they are of extremely good quality, not one hair had fallen out and i'd washed them a million times. they are very soft and i'm happy with the amount of colour they pick up. however, they have very poor choice of brushes, especially for the eyes, and that's why i was thinking about buying Sigma sets.

since i don't own a single MAC brush, comparisons with MAC brushes do not help me, so i was wondering (although it's a long shot
oh.gif
) if there was someone who could maybe compare Sigma to Ecotools brushes?

Little Addict

I was on the website today and noticed something sketchy about it. All the pics that they used are from this magazine called "Makeup International" that I bought at the Kryolan store last month. IDK why they are using them but it all seems kind of strange when you add that to their numbering system.

I personally have not tried their brushes, so there is no review on those for you guys.
Just bugged me out a little bit that all the graphics are not theirs.

susannef

Yeah those are stock images. I have seen them before on a completely different site.

Kinda sketchy imo since Sigma are selling makeup.

malaviKat

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveStoned
i was thinking of buying the complete set in pink, as well as the little pink travel set, but now, after reading your reviews, i'm not sure any more
oh.gif

i'm currently using EcoTools brushes and i'm very satisfied with them, especially because they are of extremely good quality, not one hair had fallen out and i'd washed them a million times. they are very soft and i'm happy with the amount of colour they pick up. however, they have very poor choice of brushes, especially for the eyes, and that's why i was thinking about buying Sigma sets.

since i don't own a single MAC brush, comparisons with MAC brushes do not help me, so i was wondering (although it's a long shot
oh.gif
) if there was someone who could maybe compare Sigma to Ecotools brushes?

Do you have the EcoTools retractable kabuki and if so, do you have an opinion of it?

coachkitten

Has anyone seen or used the new Sigma brush SS197 that looks like the upcoming MAC 130 brush? I am very interested to know what people think of it as I am considering ordering it. TIA!

I have only used the SS224 brush from Sigma as I got it as a gift. I thought that the quality was pretty good but I greatly prefer my MAC 224.

It just shocks me how they can get away with such a similar numbering system. I am suprised that MAC hasn't put a stop to it yet.

malaviKat

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachkitten
Has anyone seen or used the new Sigma brush SS197 that looks like the upcoming MAC 130 brush? I am very interested to know what people think of it as I am considering ordering it. TIA!

I have only used the SS224 brush from Sigma as I got it as a gift. I thought that the quality was pretty good but I greatly prefer my MAC 224.

It just shocks me how they can get away with such a similar numbering system. I am suprised that MAC hasn't put a stop to it yet.

I've seen their new brush and I'm really intrigued by it but I think I may have too many foundation brushes as it is :p and so I haven't gone out of my way to get it. Plus the duo-fiber aspect of both the MAC 187 and SS187 has never wowed me so I'm not convinced this synthetic brush is going to give me better foundation than I have ever had.

I will say this though... I'm interested in their retractable kabuki (if only so I don't have to take my MAC 182 on vacation without a case) as there seem to be so few retractable kabukis on the market. I would also add that though I have numerous MAC brushes (ranging from some of their most expensive right down to their cheapest) I have been very, very happy with my Sigma brushes and could do without many of their MAC counterparts.

Some stand out points:
  • SS239 - until I had this brush I did not understand why MAC's 239 was so highly prized. My MAC version by comparison is very stiff and does not apply much colour. The SS239 is very soft which allows for blending but dense enough to pick up a lot of colour if necessary. It also isn't comprised of white bristles which means it doesn't stain as easily.
  • SS150 - such a gloriously soft powder brush. Does not compare to the MAC version at all. In fact, before hearing about Sigma, I actually returned the MAC version to a store...
Some points of contention:
  • bleeding; while I haven't experienced the frustration that some have had with their brushes bleeding all over the place, quite a bit of dye has come out of my SS224 and as such many white hairs now show through. It isn't really a problem for me, however; the brush is still very soft and I often prefer it over my MAC version (only because it is slightly more tapered).
  • tarnish; the ferrules on my SS219 and SS266 have become lightly tarnished. I don't know if this occured naturally or was a result of my own stupidity. (I clean with a lot of natural stuff and they may have been spritzed by vinegar. The tarnish appears in a light misting pattern so I suspect vinegar was the culprit.) :p I will admit however that I don't think the ferrules are made of the same blend of alloy that the MAC ferrules are; there's a distinct difference in colour visible to the naked eye between all of my MAC and Sigma brushes and this might increase their propensity for tarnishing.
  • slight warping; after I first bought the complete set, I did a pool cue test with the SS209 and rolled it across the table. My version is ever so slightly askew (so it rolled weird) and in most situations it would warrant a return but I couldn't be bothered to do anything about it. I did write to Sigma and they were ready to exchange it if I completed the form but I decided it wasn't worth it. All in all the brush performs really well.
As for the shipping issue, I too noticed the shipping hike recently and I emailed the company as I planned to make a purchase for Christmas gifts. They told me to put my order through and refunded the excess shipping so they are aware of the shipping costs being skewed and stated they were in the process of fixing the problem.

The numbering...still doesn't bug me. I don't know...maybe it should. LOL But unless MAC has a copyright restriction on their numbering system what could they do? Really?

malaviKat

Quote:

Sorry...which brush do you think the SS197 is like? I just went back... the MAC 130 brush came out last year, didn't it? I thought it was more of a flat, paddle shaped duo-fiber brush. That wasn't my impression of the SS197. Is there a new MAC brush I don't know about?

coachkitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by malaviKat
Sorry...which brush do you think the SS197 is like? I just went back... the MAC 130 brush came out last year, didn't it? I thought it was more of a flat, paddle shaped duo-fiber brush. That wasn't my impression of the SS197. Is there a new MAC brush I don't know about?

The 131 came out last year but the 130 comes out in February 2010 with the new MAC mineral foundation. I think that there are some pictures of the brush in the Upcoming MAC collection thread. It looks identical to the Sigma SS197. I'll see if I can find a picture of the new MAC brush.
smiles.gif

EDIT: Here is the link. The picture is halfway down on the first page.
smiles.gif

http://www.specktra.net/forum/f250/m...ussion-150538/

malaviKat

Quote:
The 131 came out last year but the 130 comes out in February 2010 with the new MAC mineral foundation. I think that there are some pictures of the brush in the Upcoming MAC collection thread. It looks identical to the Sigma SS197. I'll see if I can find a picture of the new MAC brush.
smiles.gif

EDIT: Here is the link. The picture is halfway down on the first page.
smiles.gif

http://www.specktra.net/forum/f250/m...ussion-150538/

It has become pretty obvious that I should not read these boards while half asleep... LOL

Thanks.
smiles.gif

LoveStoned

Quote:
Originally Posted by malaviKat
Do you have the EcoTools retractable kabuki and if so, do you have an opinion of it?

yes, i have it. i really like that brush. it's super soft and most of all it's super conveient - i carry it with me in my little makeup bag, it stays clean and i can touch up my blush when i need to during the day - i use it for blush, not for powder, i'm kind of used to sponges when compact powders are concerned. it's not the best kabuki ever, you know, but if you need a good, solid travel kabuki, you should buy this one
greengrin.gif

looovemac

Quote:

I just ordered ss197 along with ss187 (i love my mac 187) as soon as i receive it I will let you guys know
th_wink3.gif

I don't own any other sigma brushes except ss188 and I love it!

joygasm

I don't find anything wrong with the numbering system. It is kind of helpful rather than going through each brush one by one to find one similar to the MAC ones. The descriptions were out of taste. That they could of came up with original ones.

malaviKat

Quote:
Originally Posted by looovemac
I just ordered ss197 along with ss187 (i love my mac 187) as soon as i receive it I will let you guys know
th_wink3.gif

I don't own any other sigma brushes except ss188 and I love it!

I find the SS187 is a lot softer than the MAC 187 and (perhaps) less dense?

I don't know. I'm not an expert on the MAC 187. It is my least used brush and I often regret buying it... probably because it is the one brush I don't know how to use. :p I gave away my SS187 (new) as a gift a few months ago because I never used the MAC 187...but I have another one on the way (it was cheaper to buy a kit than to buy all the separate brushes I wanted from it) so we'll see if I can be made to like it. I think if you like the MAC one you may not like the Sigma version. (But then, I'm banking on liking Sigma's because I find MAC's useless.) :p

Looking forward to your review of the 197 though!

MarlaSinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by joygasm
I don't find anything wrong with the numbering system. It is kind of helpful rather than going through each brush one by one to find one similar to the MAC ones. The descriptions were out of taste. That they could of came up with original ones.

I completely agree, 100%. Is is really so hard to come up with a description for your OWN product and not rip off something as big as MAC? Come on!

nliedel

I have a friend with them and I've used them. I like them. I don't buy all MAC brushes, because I'd rather have the makeup. I do have a couple Mac brushes on my wishlist. Yes, she used the same numbering, etc, but she also is garnering good reviews from people I 100% trust on YouTube. People that have never let me down. I have a lot of paint brushes I adore, because of Enkore. Would I use them all? Yes. Would they make me not buy the MAC brushes I want? No way.

Latest posts