Skin irritation from dirty brushes-HELP!!!

Macnarsandlove

I was on a mini vacation the other day and I was at a f/s strore. I really wahted to try the new msf foundation so I fiquired hey why not cause the makeup artist was really nice. She proceeded to apply it with the 190 on my face from her brush. I have NEVER had anyone put m/u on my face. I am creeped out by blisterring cold sores and just gross ppl and have never had a m/a put anything on my face. I thought I am tired of being a serial returner so just put it on. (I try everything on my hands only and santize them quickly after). babble babble babble sorry. Anyway yester day I notice a dry patch on my cheeck. It was small but I didnt pay to much attention. Today I wake up with my eyes,cheeks, and neck with this excema looking dry patches. I have a radiant complexion-not to brag but it's true. Now I kinda want to choke the m/a that used dirty brushes on me. I am really having a hard time with this. Has anyone ever had this? If so please let me know. Also should I call mac and tell them? I know I cant prove it but this is messed up. Thanks ya'll!!

claresauntie

Definitely complain. Let the manager know.

We are supposed to follow very precise sanitation processes. They really work and MAC has even won court cases based on how sound our santitation protocol is. However, that's not to say that someone may not have followed the rules.

We must use our brush cleanser to clean brushes between customers, and that product has sanitizing ingredients in it. Then we wash our brushes at the end of each shift, too. If I work on someone with nasty skin, I spray my brush with alcohol, too, then "retire" it for the day. That, plus the cleansing at the end of the shift will take care of anything nasty on the brush. *shudder*

We also have stringent sanitation instructions for each product (dry, cream, etc...). I won't bore you with the details, but these processes should be followed every single time an artist works with you.

Are you sure you're not reacting to the product?

lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by claresauntie

That's what I'm thinking. If there was something funky on the brush, overnight is a very fast pick-up time. We've been told that generally it's a few days between bacterial infection being introduced topically to the skin and it developing to a stage that's noticeable to touch/sight (unless the client has open sores or cuts, in which case they're a no-touch zone anyway), so if someone comes back and says 'you gave me the herp/a rash/_____ yesterday', we can inform them otherwise.

A reaction in the form of contact dermatitis or something similar is a lot more likely, TBH.

Macnarsandlove

I have been using mac products for a while now and I have never had a reaction to anything. I have used the msf foundation sample a got when it first can out in sample form at home. I really just wanted to get a new color cause of the summer and I'm darker now. This happened on mon and I noticed something on wed. My skin isnt particully sensitive. I am just really discusted that as much makeup I have bought and never tryed the one time I do something happens.

thelilprincess

Quote:
Originally Posted by claresauntie

i agree that this is a possibility. even if you used products before, you could develop allergies over time (it does take ~2 years for the body to become allergic...basically, your body gets introduced to a "foreign" object - in this case, some ingredient in the makeup - and if your body decides it's going to develop antigens to it, then you will eventually develop allergic reaction to it....yeah, boring immunology stuff)

my friend used lancome e/s for a long time and started to develop dry spots just on her eyelids - once she stopped using it, it cleared up and never came back.

anyhow, just remember that e/s to e/s, even if it's the same brand, will have slighly different ingredients in order to get that color. some maybe you are allergic to one of the colors she put on you.

i wouldn't want to accuse someone of dirty brushes unless i saw with my own eyes that he/she did something unsanitary with it (use it on someone without cleaning, then on me...or blowing on the brush, etc)

also stress can trigger weird reactions - do you think maybe your stress about having the MA use her brushes on you triggered it?

i dunno, just all possibilities. i mean, it's also still a possibility that you're right and she didn't sanitize it.

Latest posts