Skin making me depressed :(

xtiffineyx

Well here's the deal. I have been breaking out since I was 15. I'm constantly broke out on my chin ONLY. I never break out anywhere else.

I take very good care of my skin, but in 6 years, nothing has helped. I don't know what to do. They'll be sometimes I'll think it's clearing up, then BAM 5 more zits appear. I've tried proactive, it didn't do anything for me. I use Neutrogena Oil Control Acne wash at night, and clean and clear oxygenating face scrub in the morning. I also use Benzaclin Gel EVERY NIGHT. I never ever skip my skin routine, but still, nothing helps!

I don't know what to do. I figured by 21 my skin would start improving, not getting worse! My skin is all pigmented and scarred from being broke out constantly for 6 years =((

And I can't go to the dermatologist because I have no insurance. So that's not an option
cry.gif
I just don't know what to do anymore.

enjoybeingagirl

I'm sorry you are having so much trouble. Breakouts on the chin are normally due to hormones. Birth control could help if you aren't already taking it. Is acne genetic in your family?

TISH1124

I'm sorry...Glad I saw your last line that was going to be my suggestion... Or maybe you could just start a lil side savings so you can go see the dermatologist. I'm sure they are going to have the best advice as far as treatment for your particular skin problem. Have you tried proactive..I have heard it works wonders ...But I do not know first hand because I have not personally used it but my sister in law swears by it and she had terrible acne prior to using it..But she did say once she stops using it...it comes right back.

xtiffineyx

Thanks for the replies girls! Yes I tried proactive, it was horrible! And I tried it for almost 6 months with absolutely NO improvement with it...

I'm already taking ortho-tricyclen lo. I get those big painful cyst like zits on my chin, right now I have three that popped up in the last 12 hours and they hurt like no other.

TISH1124

I think you really need to see if you can perhaps go to a dermatologist that will perhaps make payment arrangements...It may be something other than just acne and that is why nothing seems to work....You may need an antibiotic or something that treats you from inside. I hope it gets better.

NicksWifey

I'm one of those people that Pro-Activ didn't really work for either. I had frequent breakouts with it and my skin became extremely oily after I started using it. I used it for almost four years too.
I have yet to find the holy grail face product, honestly. However, I have gotten some really great products off of this site: Ariva Skin Care and Day Spa
I got a Dermalogica skin kit and a really good Ahava soap from there.

I have skin issues myself, I will go a few days where my face really starts to clear up and also have the same problem as you, BAM, a few more pop up! It's so frustrating. For me, I know I have a good deal to do with my face because there are a lot of times I get lazy and don't take my makeup off before bed but I've been washing my face off at night with the Ahava soap and using salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide gels on my face as spot treaments before bed.
I hate to slather makeup on my face to cover my scars and blemishes but honestly if I spend a good 10 minutes doing my foundation/powder/concealer I feel so much better and I can barely see my imperfections.

I know I'm not much help here, but don't feel down on yourself because you're one of many that suffers from this and you are not alone
smiles.gif

OohJeannie

Go to a Lush store (Lush.com) and ask for a sample of Coal Face. See how that works for you. I use it when I break out...but it can be used daily for oily skin.

carrieann07

I feel your pain. I've struggled with acne from the time I was 11. It started lessened when I was about 17. Since then I get occasional breakouts, which only consist of cystic acne. I know how bad they hurt. I suffer from ovarian cysts and have gone from birth control bill to birth control pill. I just recently switched to the nuvaring and it has helped w/ the acne somewhat. I went to the derm. for years with absolutely no luck(acne is genetic and unfortunately my father suffered from it horribly, I as well). Honestly the only thing that has ever worked for me is .01% Hyrdocortisone cream.

Back story- I had a horrible reaction to a benadryl based medicine(I'm allergic to benadryl). My face got severe dry patches. The Dr. recommended I use just regular .01% hydrocortisone cream(it's like $1.50 at Target) like I would my moisturizer. So for about a week I applied the cream til the dry patches were gone. I noticed that during that time period I never had a breakout at all.

This is coming from someone who has tried everything out there. Prescription/OTC. I tried it all. Using the cream before bed about 5 days a week has improved my skin immensely. No more cystic acne and my skin is super soft.

kimmy

the best thing for cystic acne is retin-a. you don't need to go to a dermatologist for it, but you do need a perscription. it's worth it, though.

i've had acne for a long time, too and it would get better once in a while but then come back ten times worse. it went away completely for a while until i had an allergic reaction to an antibiotic i was taking for strep throat and then i started getting cystic acne. hurt like HELL. i used full coverage foundation and concealer, but i was still self concious about it.

my doctor perscribed me retin-a and it worked like a dream. it sucks while you're using it because it dries your skin out and your skin will peel (which is kind of hard to manage) but once you're through the six week treatment, your skin will be flawless.

xStarryEyedX

I agree with whoever said chin pimples are usually hormonal..
I used to get milia on&around my chin, here's what helped me.

-EXFOLIATION. It saved my skin. For real. Not too harsh, and def. not too often.
-2 of the skincare products we sell at Bare Escentuals. I'm totally not trying to go push the company because I work for it, but these 2 made my skin so much better... The nighttime revival treatment helped because it exfoliates ( organic soil mineral concentrate, I just enjoy saying that) and has french green clay which sucks all the junk out of your pores. Then the blemish therapy we have is good, it has sulfer and tea tree oil... Neither of these are too harsh so they def. wont make the redness any worse.

Now for you, I'm not big on Neutrogina or Clean&Clear. I don't like their ingredients, because in my opinion they're very drying. &Are you using a moisturizer? If not, then go get one. Make sure it's not oil based, a gel would probably be ideal.

I've had a ton of customers tell me they've tried proactive... At best, it worked for them temporarily then things just went down hill- and that's best case.. I really haven't had anyone tell me they liked it.

X_cinderella_X

I have the exact same skin care. A million of different skincare brands have not solved my problem. It is just my chin area, with big angry zits, i dont have acne anywhere else.

Korms

Quote:
Originally Posted by xStarryEyedX
I'm not big on Neutrogina or Clean&Clear.

I totally agree with you on this one. I used to use all the Clean & Clear products when I was having a bad time with really bad, painful spots and looking back I think it made it worse! Because C&C products are so drying my face was producing more oil to over compensate which in turn created more spots!

aleksis210

I don't have insurance either, and for me it's $70 each visit. I told my derm. that I can't afford to go every month, nor do I need to. When it's something like your skin, makeup/clothes/anything else can be put on hold. For cystic acne they will give you cortizone shots, which is included in my bill. Just call around and say 'I don't have insurance, how much is this going to be?'

emeraldjewels

I feel your pain, I'm 22 and am costantly breaking out along my jaw line and chin. Its a real bummer, I have all this lovely makeup but no matter what I try, I always have bad skin underneath. I have ordered the proactiv kit but haven't received it yet. IMHO I don't think its going to be my miracle cure, but I figure its worth a try.

Good luck at finding something that helps!

FiestyFemme

I've been fighting acne in one form or another since I was about 9... I'm 23 now, and my dermatologist seemed to think I'd outgrow it, but no such luck yet. I've tried all kinds of prescription topicals and antiobiotics, and all sorts of OTC skincare lines, but nothing that will keep me clear 100% of the time. It's frustrating, especially when what has been working for me for years just quits, despite no changes in my routine or face makeup. I think mine is hormonal, and also my pores just clog like it's nobody's business. Proactiv has worked the best for me, and I need constant exfoliation so that junk doesn't end up clogging my pores. Good luck finding something that works... I'm right there with ya!

aimee

you can go to a dermatologist and tell them you pay right after but it can get expensive

i cant really help you because i have the same problem since im 17 and im 28 now......i switched my skin care routine again and my skin cleared up for 5 days then it got worse again cuz i think my skin was in shock (because of the product changes) and cleared up and then got back to the normal worse condition again....it sucks
ssad.gif

Sparxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksWifey
I'm one of those people that Pro-Activ didn't really work for either.

The reason I have TERRIBLE scarring on my face is because of proactive! I used it for a few months and it caused cysts on my face. My face was always in so much pain and red too!
ssad.gif
Proactive ruined my skin

xsnowwhite

Proactiv did NOTHING for me either! I too get breakouts on my chin only. I used to get deep painful cystic acne all the time on my chin, at one point it was so bad my entire chin was just red and looked horrible. I still have some scars but it has improved recently. Maybe try Murad, that is what finally worked for me! I also recently started using differin, but I think that is prescription only but I highly reccomend the murad acne kit

aleksis210

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparxx
The reason I have TERRIBLE scarring on my face is because of proactive! I used it for a few months and it caused cysts on my face. My face was always in so much pain and red too!
ssad.gif
Proactive ruined my skin

Same here! I found out I was allergic to benzoyl peroxide

Chikky

I was with you. The only place I ever broke out was on my chin, and that was all after I turned 20!

The only thing that worked for me was using Aveda's Outer Peace Acne line. If you can't afford them all, at least get the small spot minimizer and/or the lotion. It worked wonders!

Good luck!