Smartphones and nails...

malaviKat

Hey all... I have no idea whether this is an appropriate question for this section (and even whether it has been posted already). Please direct me elsewhere if there has already been a board as I couldn't find anything when I searched.

I am in the process of deciding on a new cellphone. After owning the same phone for the past ten years (I kid you not), I thought it was about time I upgraded. For the time being, the only thing I do with my phone is keep it around for emergencies but as I go further with school and work, I'd like something that will help keep my OCD self organized, among other things. For this reason I am leaning toward one of the many new-gen smartphones.

Setting aside all other important questions for a minute, here's a question I thought could be well addressed by my fellow Specktrettes...

For those of you with nails, which is your preferred device? A Blackberry? An iPhone? Tin can with string?
smiles.gif

Thoughts appreciated!

TISH1124

I had sculptured nails and I love the Iphone and the Blackberry but I always use a stylus pen anyway ....but I never had problems even if I used my nails but they were not super long either

TISH1124

^^ I disagree with that I have had a Blackberry pearl for 3 years now...and my nails have never interferred ....and I have a IPhone and my nails have never interferred and a stylus works just fine with mine

My Dh uses a stylus with his Iphone too

malaviKat

Quote:
Originally Posted by TISH1124
^^ I disagree with that I have had a Blackberry pearl for 3 years now...and my nails have never interferred ....and I have a IPhone and my nails have never interferred and a stylus works just fine with mine

Do you know which particular stylus you guys use? I know the iPhone doesn't come with one. The guys at my local Apple store (that I affectionately refer to as "The Other Mac") gave me directions to Chinatown for a stylus... :p

Do you find the stylus slows you down? Do you use it for texting etc. or just for quickly navigating your phone?

My nails aren't super long now, but there is some length to them. I went earlier in the summer (just after a wedding) when they were really really long and I found I couldn't even navigate the iPhone menu. However, I was back yesterday with shorter nails and found navigation was okay but that typing messages or notes was still a huge PITA.

As a student I type a lot, so I don't often let my nails get "out of hand" (ooh bad pun) but I don't often cut them down right to the skin, either and I don't want to fork over $800CAN for a phone that I can barely use. :p

TISH1124

It has a touch screen so I touch the screen...so it is faster for me I think...But on the blackberry I text with the tip of my fingers not my nails so I am pretty fast ...and i only use my thumb and index finger LOL it slowed me down until i got the nack of it you know...

I got my status from radio shack But they have the same one on Ebay wayyy cheaper

Stylus Touch Pen For Apple iPhone 3GS 3G S iPod iTouch - eBay (item 120459507740 end time Sep-14-09 20:38:17 PDT)

5 for less than $6 shipped ...you will loose them lol

nichollecaren

Quote:

odd how yours worked. I had an iphone and it never worked with anything but a fingertip---I think it requires a conductive stylus. Using a non conductive item like a pen or a regular plastic stylus will yield no results.

off to research it

nichollecaren

Quote:
Specially Designed for the iPhone Screen

In case you haven't noticed the iPhone's glassy touch sensitive screen is only sensitive to your stubby little fingers. This is because it uses a technology called capacitive touch which measures the flow of electrons through your skin. Problem is, last time we checked our fingers were pretty rounded and not too precise at picking out tiny URLs in Safari.
Luckily the geniuses behind the Pogo iPhone Stylus have magically solved this problem by making a stylus that somehow tricks the iPhone into thinking it's really a finger. What's more, the tip of the stylus is a soft felt like material that has the added benefit of keeping your screen clean while you tap away. How do they do it? Frankly we're not sure, but hopefully it doesn't involve grave-robbing.

Product Features
Specially designed stylus works with iPhone and iPod Touch
Enables precision selection of on-screen items
Included clip keeps the Pogo Stylus handy
Soft tip material keeps your screen clean while you tap
Specially Designed for the iPhone Screen

In case you haven't noticed the iPhone's glassy touch sensitive screen is only sensitive to your stubby little fingers. This is because it uses a technology called capacitive touch which measures the flow of electrons through your skin. Problem is, last time we checked our fingers were pretty rounded and not too precise at picking out tiny URLs in Safari.
Luckily the geniuses behind the Pogo iPhone Stylus have magically solved this problem by making a stylus that somehow tricks the iPhone into thinking it's really a finger. What's more, the tip of the stylus is a soft felt like material that has the added benefit of keeping your screen clean while you tap away. How do they do it? Frankly we're not sure, but hopefully it doesn't involve grave-robbing.

Product Features
Specially designed stylus works with iPhone and iPod Touch
Enables precision selection of on-screen items
Included clip keeps the Pogo Stylus handy
Soft tip material keeps your screen clean while you tap

ThinkGeek :: Pogo iPhone Stylus

nichollecaren

Quote:
No it has to have a special tip like the one I linked....

my connection is so slow...by the time i've refreshed the page theres like two posts in between! I'm with u now
smiles.gif

malaviKat

Quote:
It has a touch screen so I touch the screen...so it is faster for me I think...But on the blackberry I text with the tip of my fingers not my nails so I am pretty fast ...and i only use my thumb and index finger LOL it slowed me down until i got the nack of it you know...

I got my status from radio shack But they have the same one on Ebay wayyy cheaper

Stylus Touch Pen For Apple iPhone 3GS 3G S iPod iTouch - eBay (item 120459507740 end time Sep-14-09 20:38:17 PDT)

5 for less than $6 shipped ...you will loose them lol

From the sounds of things, you might keep your nails a bit shorter than I do. I had a rather painstaking afternoon at the Apple store trying to type 3 lines for a note on the touchscreen.. LOL

So far, I am finding the Blackberry devices to respond a bit better to my nails but... then there's the whole separate issue of applications and platform preferences.

Thanks for all the wonderful input everyone!

malaviKat

Quote:
yeah Blackberry takes a minute to get used to but once you do it is simple

As someone who owns both devices, do you have a preference?

TISH1124

I love my Iphone ...But there are days I love my Blackberry...I have both because the Blackberry is our Business line...But I have to say the IPhone it just seems to have more options

I am of no damn help
shockt.gif

gildedangel

I keep pretty long nails and I have used my dad's blackberry and Iphone. I like using the Iphone better, I just have to be careful. I like the idea of the stylus though, it would keep the oils of your fingers off the screen aka no smudgies!

malaviKat

Quote:
I love my Iphone ...But there are days I love my Blackberry...I have both because the Blackberry is our Business line...But I have to say the IPhone it just seems to have more options

I am of no damn help
shockt.gif

Hah... your thought process sounds a lot like mine. (It annoys the heck out of my bf...but don't worry, I get ya!)

In other news (I'm about to temporarily hijack my own board)... I went to MAC today to pick up the Notoriety quad and Off the Page e/s. I am slightly annoyed/amused to find that Skintone 2 looks exactly like the lightest shade of Cover Girl's Golden Sunset trio. (The other two in that trio look like Bronze and Amber Lights).

Look at me...I'm getting buyer's remorse over a quad. How am I ever going to choose a phone?

franken_stein

I sometimes have long nails and I'll admit it does make typing a little harder on my iPhone, but I still think it works fine for me. It tends to detect what is in the middle of your finger, I think - so even if you hit a bunch of letters trying to get at one, if it's in the middle of your finger it will punch in the correct one! I used to hate typing on it but it really isn't so bad.

gigiopolis

Typing on the iPhone is the pain in the ass, whether or not you have long nails! Everyone could probably benefit from a stylus, unless you've really been practicing haha!

So really I'd go for the iPhone cus you can buy a stylus, plus there are thousands of apps to download and add SO MUCH to the functionality of your phone. To me, functionality > nails. I'll just live with making a typo every now and then.
smiles.gif