Smelly brushes

PerfectlyOdd

So I got a couple brushes at Wal-Mart they were cheap and i was like why not. Both are natural fiber and white, the hairs they look like the lowe cornell (sp?) brushes i have and are similar in texture)

they are great brushes, one is a dense kabuki type and another is a big powder brush...

only... they smell like a petting zoo....

i can almost hear goats when i use them that's how bad they smell. i've washed them about 3 times and they smell like wet animals when i do that.

What do i do!? i just try to use them quickly and hold my breath i don't have any other adverse reaction to them, other than wrinkling up my nose.

i'm going on a trip soon and sharing a room and i neeeeed them to not be stinky in case one of my roomies decides they want to check them out. LOL

Junkie

Maybe try some baby shampoo?

I wouldn't try anything with alcohol and definately not soaking them. It might just be leftover oils from whatever animal they came from - like wet dogs - its the oil in the hair that smells (secreated from glands in the skin). They might not have been thoroughly treated when preparing the fur for brushes.

chelseadawn

I personally can't standddd Enkore, but came across this video of his when I was trying to figure out how to get my brushes to not smell like animals anymore:
YouTube - Deodorizing New Brushes
(the actual tutorial part of the video starts at 4:00. I don't know what he's talking about beforehand, but it is a LONG video)

What I did worked really well for my brushes, they don't smell at all anymore wooo.
I was scared to use fabric softener on my brushes (and I don't think I had any anyway..) so I just used a bit of vinegar and put enough baking soda for it to fizz a bit and then put enough water so that the solution was 1/2 water, 1/2 vinegar and baking soda. I didn't need a lot, and I really didn't need to soak it for like five minutes.. just swirled it in the mixture for like a minute and then squeezed/rinsed it out.

Latest posts