Smokey eye help....crease color always messes up my lid color

AshleyDanielle

I have all the necessary MAC brushes and shadows to make a smokey eye. I watch tutorials on youtube or whatever and see how they do their smokey eyes. Butttt here is my problem.....whenever I start to apply the crease color/outer v/smokey eye color.....it seems to get ALL over my lid and then you can't really see that I have TWO DIFF color eyeshadows on. Does this make sense?

I use the 224 or 217 or the 275 and none of them work for me. I really like how Jlovesmac1's smokey eyes are..... like you can totally see the contrast between her lid color and the smokeyness of her outer v/crease area.

So I apply my lid color all over my lid, then start from the corner and either do small circles from my outer v towards the inner eye.....or I try using the 275 to "flick" from the outer v towards the inner. This tends to leave me looking like I just have ONE color all over my lid. I try to reapply my lid color.....and it still looks like I just have 1 color on my eye.

What is your trick? Do I have to wet my brushes to make sure that the crease color stays there? I DONT like to wet my brushes because they leave a film on my shadows :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgoNN7Ffmg0 LINKY to Jlovesmac1 smokey eyes so you can see how her lid/crease look like 2 diff colors, instead of 1 muddled color like mine lol.

AiriMagdalene

Do your crease colour FIRST. Use a 219 or 208 to crease a sharp line with it first. If you're not that experienced with avoiding fallout, you can then use a qtip with makeup remover on it to clean the line better. Then do your lid colour, and blend the crease colour with the 224. I believe the 219 is the pencil brush and the 208 is the angled brush and the 224 is a floofy brush, but I dislike/dont use mac brushes, so if the numbers are wrong, adjust accordingly.

heidik

I don't have any advice for ya, sorry. I just wanted to say i watched jlovesmac1 tut.. omg she is hysterical lol..... I wateched about 5 of her videos she is a nutcase.. omg too funny

saizine

Maybe you are using too much product on the brush when you're applying the crease color? Try shaking the excess of the brush before applying the color to the eye and building the color up slowly instead of all at once.

MAC'sMyBF

Honestly it sounds like your using too fluffy of a blending/crease brush for your amount of lid space. I have medium-small eyelids, not that much room for artistic expression, but I do what I can.
Anyways, start off by applying your lid color with a paddle e/s brush similar to the 239, keep in mind to use patting motions rather than sweeping motions so that the color is really prominent rather than a wash. Then turn the brush sideways and with the very tip of the brush using side-to-side motions, blend the color just barely into the crease to achieve a nice shape as well as gradient.
Next, for your outer V and crease I like to use two colors in the same color family, but with one being darker than the other. For example, today I used Cranberry and Beauty Marked. Or another option would be to use a matte black as your second darker shade if you don't have a wide range of colors to choose from, but for the darker color I prefer to use I matte or satin finish as they are the best for creating depth. I first take the lighter of the two crease shades with a MAC 222 and apply it into and just barely above the crease using windshield-washing motions. I use a 222 because it’s not as fluffy as your other options and keeps the color placement more precise on smaller lids. I then continue these motions onto the very outer part of my eye using diagonal up-and-down motions to create the bottom part of the outer V. Don’t worry if the lines look harsh we'll blend more later.
Next, take the darker shade with a 219 or even the tip of the 239 and outline your outer V, so mark a diagonal line at the outer part of the eyelid and then another about 1/3 right into the crease following your natural socket line, creating an outer V. These lines will look harsh, so take the same 222 and begin to buff the darker shade into the lighter one by using the same motions as before, also blend just about halfway into your crease, and remember just follow the lines you marked with the 219. You can also employ very small circular motions to help with the blending but make sure not to travel too far outside the boundaries of the crease and outer V.
Finally, take a fluffier brush like the 224 and use windshield-motions again just over the crease and outer V, make sure mot to over do it. If the outer part of your eyelid color and lid color are not blended to your liking take the 224 and do very light side to side motions, or the 239 you used before and do patting motions over the line of demarcation between the of two colors. Voila!
Hopes this helps, and good luck! Let me know if it works out! xoxo