So how did you begin (for MAC artists)?

semtexgirl

I know many of you have probably answered this question about a million times already but how did you get started? Did you take classes? Have any professional designations? I have NO experience in this industry. I work in the insurance industry right now and hate it. I've been doing it for 7 years and I look back now and see every day I spent doing insurance as a wasted opportunity. I'm ready for a change. I've loved makeup since the first time I wore it when I was 12. I'm 29 now. I think my current makeup regimen enhances my natural features but I'd really love to learn how you gals (and guys) do your makeup (most importantly - the eyes). It's edgy and gorgeous but always looks like it was done by a pro! Even the pics on this site of applications are AMAZING! Maybe it's a talent you're born with? Either way, I'd love to learn and apply for a job at MAC. Reasons why I love MAC:
products are cutting edge
no animal testing
products truly are Makeup Art Cosmetics
AIDS Fund
an overall vision to be different from other cosmetics companies
support artists' creativity

Any suggestions would really be appreciated! Thank you so much!

giz2000

I made a huge career change when I left my previous job to work for MAC. I decided that I was burnt out and applied for a position in the cosmetics department of a Nordstrom that was opening in my area. I interviewed with MAC, Philosophy and Stila. I had no makeup experience (save for what I knew about MAC and that I have loved makeup all my life). I also had never worked a retail job in my life. It's interesting that you mentioned doing your makeup to enhance your features. That's exactly what I did/still do. I used to joke around that I was MAC by way of Bobbi Brown. I was older than your average MAC MA as well (I was 37), but that didn't seem to phase them at all.

I was eventually hired by MAC and haven't looked back. Their training/updates/pro seminars are great and you learn a lot, but you learn the most from actually working on customers. There are a lot of tricks that your countermates show you as well. I left my permanent position and now freelance and do jobs on my own...and I am as happy as ever with my work. It's really not work for me, so I basically get paid to do something I'd do for free (the makeup, not the retail...
lmao.gif
)

I say go for it...you can start out as a freelancer and keep your regular job and see if it's something you'd want to do. Good luck!

GreekChick

I was doing makeup on myself and on all of my friends since I was 14 yrs old. I would go into MAC thinking " This is where I want to be, this atmosphere right here". So I practiced and practiced, bought all the makeup books (Kevin Aucoin, Bobbie Brown, you name it!) I could find, and really studied facial features, blending techniques, etc...I didn't go to makeup school, because at the time, my parents didn't approve, and didn't want to spend money on making me a "makeup artist", you know how the song goes. In a way, thank god I didn't go to makeup school, I learned ALOT on my own. I don't think it would have tought me anything regarding blending, etc...You just have to have it. I admit, I always compare myself to other girls that studied in esthetics and such, and I am extremely proud of my work.
One day, a local salon was looking for a makeup artist's assisant, for weddings, engagements and such. My sister mentionned to them that I was obsessed with makeup and they imediately took me. I worked with the makeup artist for about a year, but grew bored with it.
Anyone who has worked in bridal makeup knows what I mean. It wasn't only brides, it was the whole familia!!!!!!!!!!
I went to my local MAC counter one day, handed my CV, and got a callback a week later for the group interview. I don't think I had ever been so stressed but at the same time so happy in my life.
The groups interview was really something. I was scoring but made sure I wasn't showing off or anything. Stayed humble. It's amazing how they pick up on that. I also don't think I've ever chuckled internally that hard in my life. I remember this one girl who came 40 minutes late, and while someone was answering a question, she gets up all like 'WHOAAAAAAAAAAA SORRY IM SO LATE I JUST WANT TO INTRODUCE MYSELF..."...Oh, and reaaaaally be careful what you answer. One girl was all like "Well if the client is ugly, I'm going to tell her". Jaws dropped I tell you. It was really something. Everyone was stressed and it was easy to mess up.
Long story short, I got through the 3 interviews and I was lucky because it was all in a matter of 2 weeks (with MAC, some ppl wait up to 6 months). In my area, every single counter was hiring.
I used to think it was this supper amazing thing to know all the collections and all the colors that came out by hard. I knew every single detail.
Trust me, when you start working there, you lay off the names or else it can drive you insane. And clients DO test you. That's when you speak firmly yet politely, all the while oozing out confidence, that you know your stuff. You get to test drive colors on alot of people, trust me you really know your stuff.
All in all, 2 thumbs up for anyone that is looking to apply or is in the interview process. Once you stand behind that counter for the first time, it feels great.

MisStarrlight

I never used to wear anything but mascara & sometimes eyeliner, I had a Caboodle filled with drugstore makeup, but then my car got broken into & that all got stolen so I had to replace it...by that time I was performing in the Rocky Horror Picture Show & I discovered MAC...

I went in the day before Halloween for my first makeover (with no real intentions of working there), but I payed tons of attention to everything she was doing. I have tons of art experience (have a BFA in Art Ed) so I picked it up really quickly.
One week later I got a job at Victoria's Secret Beauty, but I was pretty obsessed with MAC & 2 weeks later, on a whim, I applied to work at MAC (Roosevelt Field).

Got hired Freelance on the spot, worked at RF through the Holidays & then started working at my current counter. After I graduated college, I went to MUD during the summer to build up my skills & as soon as I got done with school, I was hired on permanent.

semtexgirl

Wow, thanks girls so much for your input. I'm gonna check out the books mentioned here and in other threads and will probably try to get a part-time position. I think the biggest challenge will be applying makeup on someone other than myself! Will keep you posted!