So how do YOU define a smokey eye??

SulkyGirl

Smoky eye to me means DARK (blacks and charcoals) and very smudgy. My best smoky eyes are the "morning after" accidents, when I forgot to take my eye makeup off the night before and I wake up and everything looks rumpled and awesome. Honestly, I can never get it to look like that on purpose!

S.S.BlackOrchid

There are so many variations of the smokey eye. To me smokey eye is blending dark shadow (black, dark plum, navy, etc) on the lid and lower lash line, with a medium shadow just above the crease and a light shadow on the brow bone. I use liquid liner with my smokey eye because smudged liner looks terrible on me.

Here's my smokey eye with a mix of plum dressing and carbon.

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q...DSCN1752-1.jpg

gigiopolis

I think ANYTHING that is blended well and has no definite edges can be called a smokey eye. That being said, smokey eyes represent a huge number of looks - I can imagine how frustrating it can be as a makeup artist when your clients ask you for a smokey eye...it's like asking what type of dessert you'd like to order and you get "something baked".

Personally, though, I like to think of smokey eyes as the classic dark to light eye, darkest at the lash line (almost black, even), then grows lighter as it reaches the brow bone, in any colour(s). Another thing - to me, smokey =/= black smokey eye! I really think smokey is more of a description of technique more than anything.

An eye that has a lighter inner corner and darkens as it reaches the outer V - depending on how defined the crease is, I'll call it a "classic" eye or a "creased" look. So I mean, it can get really confusing once you start naming things, so sometimes I just like to lose the labels and do whatever I feel like doing.

CandiGirl21

Nothing Gothic, but defiantly noticeable.
I like my smokey eye to be seen, but not a show stopper kinda way...

Picture044.jpg