So, how much do you charge?

I'm asking purely for research purposes, but in a freelance area of work, how much would you charge per shoot?

Do you charge per hour, per project, per model, or per day?

How much, if any, do you charge for a Kit Fee?

Do you charge for travel expenses if the shoot is out of your local area, if so, how much?

All responses are appreciated.

Thank you.

amoona

It really varies. I don't do shoots really anymore because there's not much money in it where I live. Here you make your money on brides! The way I charge for that also varies.

Until you get a feel for what your area charges charge what you feel your worth. Certainly don't undercharge, I see a lot of people who do this when they start out. I did that when I started out.

I get the brides who aren't willing to pay more then $100 for their bridal make-up. That's not worth it to me so I don't do the job.

Find out all the information about each shoot before you start naming off prices. Then look at the big picture and determine the price. Also I've never charged a kit fee.

erine1881

my area makes money on brides/bridesmaids too. everyone at my counter charges the same. the majority of our freelance work comes from our customers that can't/don't make appts at the counter.

for brides we charge $125. this includes lip products that we buy for them to keep. bridesmaids are $75. this does not include any products. lashes are extra for both. if the bride is wanting us to stay after the makeup is completed to touch up we charge extra for that. we don't charge a kit fee because we use our own personal products/brushes, and that is included in the price we charge.

your best bet is to ask freelancers and makeup artists in your area what they charge. take into account how much product will be used (such as theatre makeup (more product) vs. bridal (less product)), how long you will be there, location & gas prices, etc.

mistella

It depends on where you live..
There is no such thing as a kit fee in the print world of makeup, only FILM. If you put in the price of makeup used, just round it in into your day rate, not a separate "kit fee". Professionally, you just charge a half-day rate & a day rate. hope this helps

Macnarsandlove

How much do you charge?

I got an offer to do wedding makeup for the whole bridal party of 10 ppl including the bride. Only thing is i have no idea what to charge. I dont know if I should charge a lot or even what is a lot. SOMEONE HELP ME PLEASE!!!! I would be doing it in a house, I just started freelancing and dont have an extensive collection of foundation. And whats the best foundation for taking pics? I know anything spf will give a white face and I cant have that. Any help is appreciated!!!

Loveleighe

Re: How much do you charge?

It depends on your area and you as an artist but I see you are from NJ. Me and some of my artist friends in the NJ/PA area discovered we pretty much all charge around same thing....

$150 for the bride
$75 for the mother of the bride
$75 maid of honor
$50 all rest of bridal party
$15 for lashes etc.
$100 for Updos
$100 per hour to stick around and touch up

close to or maybe slightly less than what they would be charged if they were to go to a salon, that's how i based my quote so that if i decided to charge less i wasn't getting jipped either.

K_ashanti

i'm not an artist (yet) but several of my cousin have gotten married lately and that about what they were all charged, we all live in nj too, i'm not sure what foundation was use i think studio tech

coachkitten

I live in Washington State and when I do weddings I charge $100 for the bride and $50 for each additional person. The bride also will get a a pre-wedding consulation.

erine1881

i'm in the midwest, and all of us at my counter charge:

$125 for bride
$75 for each bridesmaid/mother/anyone else.
$125 per hour to stick around to touch up
lashes are extra (only the amount of the lashes, no charge to apply them).

what you heard about spf foundations photographing white is incorrect. with mac foundations, the only one that does that is studio fix, and that one doesn't have spf. almost all the others have spf, and none of them turn white is pics.

TIERAsta

well, i'm all the way out in hawaii, but...

$75 for brides (w/comp consultation)
$50 for all others
but i do MU only, no hair

i charge an extra 10 per person for lashes. and i'm just starting to get into airbrush and i'm thinking of doing an extra charge for that as well.

some artists out here i know tack on a discount for larger parties. but i'm a one-man-show (no assistants/partners), so i can't afford that!

i live in nj and i charge:

60 for trial
150+ for bride if i attend the wedding and have to do touch-ups, i usually include a "free" gift to her such as lipstick or eyeliner (its easier when you dont have to keep sanitizing it)
75 per additional adult
35 for children such as flower girls
and eyelashes are usually included into the price liek another "free" gift unless she wants like minx ones which cost a lot more.
if they want airbrush i charge 200 and if they want airbrush body bronzer i charge 100

it all depends on where you are fortunately people around here will pay extra lol

spencerkaitlin

I'm curious about this too, I know money is made on brides but that isn't what I'm wanting to do right now. I've been trying to figure out what common day rates for photoshoots are for awhile now, can't seem to get an answer out of anyone.

_ohmygosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by erine1881
i'm in the midwest, and all of us at my counter charge:

$125 for bride
$75 for each bridesmaid/mother/anyone else.
$125 per hour to stick around to touch up
lashes are extra (only the amount of the lashes, no charge to apply them).

what you heard about spf foundations photographing white is incorrect. with mac foundations, the only one that does that is studio fix, and that one doesn't have spf. almost all the others have spf, and none of them turn white is pics.

studiofix does have spf!

When I finish my course and start freelancing, my teacher told us to charge around $80-$100 for bride
$60 for mother of the bride
$50 for the rest of the bridal party

at first, as we'd all be starting out
charge extra for lashes
don't charge anything for flower girls... as you wouldn't use much product.. i.e you'd just use a bit of gloss and shimmer to not make them feel left out

baybehbekah

i really base mine off the brides situation. i try to relate to their budget, i've been a bride and i get it.

i generally charge,
$125 for the bride, which includes travel time, lashes, and most any other product they want.
$75 for anyone else that wants the service.
i do the kiddo's for free because i find that really all they want is like lipgloss and mascara and the mother of the bride always feels so special that i did that, that i've gotten crazy tips before
smiles.gif
what ever works!

remember to take pictures of your work! each way to create a portfolio!
smiles.gif

as far as foundation i like to use Laura Meicier because she has no spf and her colors are very true to skin. but for darker shades i use mac select.

have fun!

little_angel

on location local weddings:
$125/bride (includes trial run)
$75 each additional face

travel varies depending on where they are. generally i charge about $25 for every hour i have to drive, there and back.

for photoshoots, i'll do one look on location for $60 because i can usually get in and out within an hour. then, it's $50 an hour for me to stick around for additional touch ups or look changes.

my day rate is $500 and half is $300. it's rare to find day/half day jobs here in alaska though.

edit- i only have ever charged a 'kit fee' if it's a photographer i haven't worked with before, and it's a TFCD shoot. Once I see if they're going to produce high quality images I can use in my book, I don't charge that again, because I know I'm getting something out of it.

lara

My client base is strictly professional, I don't do weddings or special occasional make-up outside of my make-up retail job. I work on tv commercials, infomercials, spots and location work, so I'm a technical make-up artist rather than a straight 'beauty' artist.

Half day (4 hrs) AU$550
Day (8 hrs) AU$900

Although this will probably go up soon, I need to make a bigger profit on some of the more labour intensive tv commercial jobs. I also have a sliding scale rate for jobs that run over four or more consecutive days, but that's something that's negotiated on a case-by-case basis.

My travel rate depends on how far it is. If it's something that I can just catch a taxi then I don't charge anything because my rates cover it. Flights, accommodation, special allowances/fees for moving hazardous materials by air etc etc etc are all paid for by the hiring agency or directly by the client. Those are fairly standard conditions for MAs of my type in Australia. I'm a little cheaper than a lot of commercial artists; my very inflexible 'real' job means that I can't just pack up and work on a job with super short notice. Because I need to be booked out with longer notice, I needed to drop my rates slightly.

FacesbyNiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by smith130
I got an offer to do wedding makeup for the whole bridal party of 10 ppl including the bride. Only thing is i have no idea what to charge. I dont know if I should charge a lot or even what is a lot. SOMEONE HELP ME PLEASE!!!! I would be doing it in a house, I just started freelancing and dont have an extensive collection of foundation. And whats the best foundation for taking pics? I know anything spf will give a white face and I cant have that. Any help is appreciated!!!

10 people?? Girl, seriously, you better get some help if you don't have any experience doing wedding makeup. There are alot of things you have to consider, like time!! That is number one! Folks like to be late. Whew! Girl!! If you have any question, pm me.
smiles.gif

foxyqt

im really surprised at the price differences.. here in my country makeup artists charge A LOT! for my uncle's wedding the MA had us pay $800 for me, my sis and my mom.. usually for the bride alone it could cost way up to $900 because its considered 'special' makeup (lashes + glitter, etc..)