So Sick of Myself

crystalclear

Okay, should warn anyone who reads this that this is likely to be long and a bit depressing, but any opinions anyone has might be useful and will be appreciated.

For a long time I've been overweight, since I was about 12 or 13 (now 23), fortunately I was 5"7 by that point and was basically fully developed at that point and could easily pass myself off for 16/17 years old. Unfortunately, the girls in my school were just that, girls and had yet to hit the final growth spurt etc and I looked and felt really out of place and believe me they did everything they could to compound this and I ended up eating alot and throwing up all the time, which came to a stop when some of the prefects noticed that I'd always be in the toilets being sick when I was meant to be in classes (to cut a long story short they told the head of year who told my parents they went ballistic, made me agree to stop it and they watched me like a hawk for a long time). I stopped being sick but not the bingeing and now a decade on I still have the same eating habits and haven't done any real exercise since I was like 15. This is very obvious and have been told by the GPs that I have to lose weight or I'll be very ill in the future.

Thing is I really want to lose weight, I want to be able to walk in to Debenhams or John Lewis and buy a dress in a normal size and be confident that it'll fit or if not get the size above and it not be a big deal. I want to walk in to a changing room and try something on and not feel totally sick and go out to a bar or nightclub and not feel on edge and as if I'm about to be publically humiliated. I tried to talk to my parents about this many times all they say is "eat less, exercise more" as if I hadn't thought of that or tried it. Tried the doctors and everytime they give me the same healthy eating leaflet and suggest I join a gym, I always give it a go hoping it will work this time but it never does. And all the gyms I've been in to have been full of thin women in leotards who have never been fat and I end up not going back. After each of these failures I end up hating myself a little bit more than I already did. I'm rarely actually physically hungry but I just compulsively need to eat, esp when I'm upset, lonely or bored which is most of the time.

As a result I have the social skills and charm of an empty packet of crisps, avoid people even when it is necessary to speak to people I dont know and I'm so awkward I just come accross as incredibly weird. I just don't know what to do any more, I need to do something quickly if I'm to have any chance of having a normal life and saving the little remaining sanity I still have left.

Not sure what I hope to achieve with this post but I suppose it's if anyone one has been through similar or knows anyone who has what did they do?

Skin*Deep

this is going to sound super lame....but it is the truth.....ready?
you have to really try to make peace with yourself as you are now. you have to love your life and who you are - if you can come to terms with yourself then you can stop using food as an emotional crutch....if you are not happy with you then you will not be happy with you 50 pounds lighter, and you will continue to eat....I would say before you join a gym or anything you find a good counselor that can help you sort out what it is you are really missing that you try to fill with food.....my best friend struggled with her weight for years and years. she ballooned to 350....never could keep it off never could find the motivation. but she really hated herself, her marriage, her job. she made life changes and as she became happy with who she was, the weight began to melt off......so much of weight gain is psychological our minds are more intertwined with our physical well being than we realize......

Mabelle

Very well put.
You're eating and weight seems to be a side effect. In order to get to the root problem, i suggest you see a therapist.

LMD84

i'm pretty much in the same situation - see me topic in the fittness journals forum and you can read about it.

i'm pretty big now compared to what i used to be when i was 18. but as i child i was bullied by other kids because i was big. and i lost all my weight when i was 18 because i pretty much didn't eat anything but soup and fruit. not the way to do it.

this time i'm pre-making meals to take to work and me and hubby work out what we're having to eat for dinner the day before. as far as exercise i guess i'm lucky because i enojy dancing so will happily shake what my mama gave me in the bedroom for an hour or so every other night. plus with my work i lift lots of tvs and things which works out my arms! in the past 3 weeks i've lost 3lbs. not much you may think but it's good for me! esp seeing as when i've dieted before it's lasted all of one week and then i'd binge.

personally i wouldn't join a gym because they're costly and i know i wouldn't feel comfortabel either. so do other things like dancing, running, work out dvd's to help get you active.

i used to eat because i was bored.... try and make sure that you're constantly doing something so that you're not thinking of food. as far as any deep rooted problems maybe seeing a therapist would help - i saw one for about a year to sort out some issues i had. but you also need t6o make an effort yourself. you won't get thin overnight and you will be hungery! hell for the first week i had really bad headaches and was a bit shitty to people because of it. but i stuck at it.

surely the fact that the dr said you will have health problems should be enough motivation to do this for yourself. oh and don't think of yourself as the kid who got bullied for being big anymore. you're gown up now and i'm sure you're friends love you to bits. so be thanksful and confident with that.

Ruby_Woo

I joined a gym, (24 hour fitness) and I don't think its costly at all. Its only 24 bucks a month, thats less than what we spend on a makeup compact or dinner and a movie.

What motivated me was having a gym buddy. Find a friend who also is looking to lose weight or be healthy.

Seriously it comes down to YOU. If YOU aren't happy with who YOU are, only YOU can change it. It may seem that you're parents and doctors have the same repetitive advice but I mean its logic that +food= +weight, and -Food = -weight. I don't see any other advice that can be given to your situation but to diet and exercise because thats the only way you will lose the weight. I don't know your weight, but if you think its that bad you can try like the lap band.

I agree that in the end, if you aren't happy with your self at your size right now you wont be happy with your self if you lost 50 lbs.

You do have to come to terms with yourself and love yourself no matter what. Once you accept yourself, you can change the little things you don't like.

Its tough, trust me that its tough. But it's doable. You just have to TRULY decide that you want to change. Until you truly make that choice and commit to it nothing will happen.

Best of luck!

ktinagapay

why dont you save some money and go to walmart and get a little exercise gym for yourself at home? i dont like exercising infront of people either...but when im at home ...i feel at home and i run on the treadmill while watching movies or shows, and i forget im even exercising. and its cool cuz you dont have to worry about anyone watching or anything. i say walmart too because their equipment is actually very good with price. you can get a bike thingy for like 150 and a treadmill for like 180. look into it!

and its true. once you embrace yourself everything else will come into place. your right we only have one life...so hang on to it and enjoy it. accept yourself ...and do it in a healthy way =)