Socialized Medicine

xStarryEyedX

So I'm curious as to how you all feel about socialized medicine. I have heard both extreme sides of the argument, but I'm wondering what other people my age think. I'm also super curious if anyone lives someplace where they have socialized medicine how they feel about it vs the system we have here in the US.

Personally, I don't know what to think. I am working two jobs because I can't for the life of me find something full time doing what I want. So I'm working, but I don't have insurance. My boyfriend is in the same boat, except he pays about $400 a month. And he has a degree!.. I feel like it's so tough for people my age today (early 20's, just out of school). But at the same time, I know that if doctors are not making as much money they might not be as committed to their patients... I can't decide what's worse, just having no insurance or having a system that could be totally effed up (well, that's what's being drilled in my head about it, is it as bad as my ultra conservative grandparents say?)
th_confused_new.gif

So I want to hear some opinions! & Remeber, Bambi rule- if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.​

Beauty Mark

I'm for some kind of socialized medicine in place. Affordable health care should be available for everyone, even if the state would offer some kind of sliding scale insurance for everyone.

I don't buy the commitment argument. I've met social workers who make very little who are 100% dedicated and people with much higher paying jobs who put in minimum effort. Besides, even if the government puts into place a better free or almost free health care system doesn't mean people can stop being private doctors, similar to how there are public schools but you can still send your kids to private ones.

kimmy

i work full time and have been doing so since the age of eighteen. i have been paying my own health insurance since that age. i'm really not stoked about the government taxing me even more than they already are to make it easier for someone else. i have to work for mine, i feel like everyone else should as well. maybe that's cold of me, but i'm already being taxed at nearly forty percent and alot of that money is going towards things i don't even agree with...so socialized medicine is just like pouring salt in the wound for me.

TISH1124

Bambi-Rule in Deep Thoughts...Good Luck with that....

I am for affordable healthcare for everyone...and I will leave it at that....

xStarryEyedX

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmy
i work full time and have been doing so since the age of eighteen. i have been paying my own health insurance since that age. i'm really not stoked about the government taxing me even more than they already are to make it easier for someone else. i have to work for mine, i feel like everyone else should as well. maybe that's cold of me, but i'm already being taxed at nearly forty percent and alot of that money is going towards things i don't even agree with...so socialized medicine is just like pouring salt in the wound for me.

Yeah I hear that, but I know a ton of people who work full time and don't have insurance. I've been working since I was 16 because my parents made me, and now I'm 21 and work two jobs (which add up to usually more than 40 hours a week) but I'm not getting insurance and I feel like I deserve it. I work hard, my boyfriend works hard, and my dad works hard but out of the 3 of us we don't get insurance, and then his wife who does jack shit at work has awesome benefits at her job. It's not like we are uneducated or unmotivated, it's just the way things happened...She sure as hell isn't working harder than any of the 3 of us, and I don't think she went to college either.... I guess the whole AFFORDABLE health insurance thing is what I think would make the most sense. It's the most fair for everybody I suppose.

ShugAvery2001

Every system has it's pro's and con's.

As a parent of a chronically ill kid, I have no problem with the idea of socialized medicine. It seems to work well for the Europeans and Canadians. But again.. your opinion is usually going to be dependent on your general political outlook.
If we socialize medicine big pharma companies and doctors won't get 'AS' rich.. although rich they will stay.

NutMeg

I'm Canadian, and our medical system certainly isn't perfect. It doesn't mean that magically everyone is healthy and immediately cared for in the event of injury or whatever. That being said, I'm still really proud that in my country no one is refused necessary medical treatment due to their inability to afford it. We have a lot of work to do when it comes to health care, but who doesn't have to perfect and improve their health care system? Universal health care is a flawed system, but in my opinion it's still better than the alternatives.

jdechant

This topic has always confused me. I was born and raised in Alberta, Canada and I just want to know the difference in health care between Canada and the states?? Now for me personally, I have worked a full time job at a financial institution since I was 19, so since then, I have paid good money into our company's "group benefits" every two weeks in order to get 80% off on prescription medication, $250 off of contacts or glasses every two years, 80% off of basic and some major dental services etc... Now, because I am in these group benefits since I was just past legal age (18) I never had to experiece living without benefits (was under parents plan for 18 and under) but I do know sooo many people that do not have employment benefits (and must pay for everything). We even have to pay for basic Alberta Heath Care ($240.00 every 4 months...but I think that is ending in 2009) So when I hear that Canadians have it "better" then the US and some other countries (when it comes to healthcare) what does that mean exactly?? Does it mean we are still paying less money then other countries?? I've always been soo confused about the topic so I am glad that its been brought up
smiles.gif

Beauty Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutMeg
I'm Canadian, and our medical system certainly isn't perfect. It doesn't mean that magically everyone is healthy and immediately cared for in the event of injury or whatever. That being said, I'm still really proud that in my country no one is refused necessary medical treatment due to their inability to afford it. We have a lot of work to do when it comes to health care, but who doesn't have to perfect and improve their health care system? Universal health care is a flawed system, but in my opinion it's still better than the alternatives.

In the US, I don't believe any hospital can refuse medical treatment to you, but you may have to pay for it for the rest of your life.

A friend of mine's friend was in a horrible car accident without insurance, I believe. The person who caused the accident was an illegal immigrant and had no money. The friend's friend received life saving treatment, but he also has medical bills that are over a million dollars.

lara

Quote:

This.

NutMeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty Mark
In the US, I don't believe any hospital can refuse medical treatment to you, but you may have to pay for it for the rest of your life.

A friend of mine's friend was in a horrible car accident without insurance, I believe. The person who caused the accident was an illegal immigrant and had no money. The friend's friend received life saving treatment, but he also has medical bills that are over a million dollars.

They can't refuse treatment that is necessary to save your life, but to my knowledge they can refuse things like a hip replacement. Correct me if I'm wrong...

xStarryEyedX

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdechant
This topic has always confused me. I was born and raised in Alberta, Canada and I just want to know the difference in health care between Canada and the states?? Now for me personally, I have worked a full time job at a financial institution since I was 19, so since then, I have paid good money into our company's "group benefits" every two weeks in order to get 80% off on prescription medication, $250 off of contacts or glasses every two years, 80% off of basic and some major dental services etc... Now, because I am in these group benefits since I was just past legal age (18) I never had to experiece living without benefits (was under parents plan for 18 and under) but I do know sooo many people that do not have employment benefits (and must pay for everything). We even have to pay for basic Alberta Heath Care ($240.00 every 4 months...but I think that is ending in 2009) So when I hear that Canadians have it "better" then the US and some other countries (when it comes to healthcare) what does that mean exactly?? Does it mean we are still paying less money then other countries?? I've always been soo confused about the topic so I am glad that its been brought up
smiles.gif

You said $240 for basic health care every 4 months, correct? Here a cheaper plan would be at about that every month.

xStarryEyedX

Quote:
They can't refuse treatment that is necessary to save your life, but to my knowledge they can refuse things like a hip replacement. Correct me if I'm wrong...

I'm not sure about hospitals, I really don't know. I used to work in a doctors office and here's one thing in Michael Moore's film that is FOR SURE accurate- there are people who are paid to decide whether or not a procedure is medically necessary but have to try to think of ways to make it seem like it's not. We had a patient who was in absolutely AWFUL pain. BCBS approved 2 physical therapy visits for him. Two. Anything else according to them was not medically necessary. Now I don't work there any more, so it's not like I'd get fired..but I'd really rather not say exactly what was up with him because it was really really bad. Who the fuck were they to tell him his pain was only bad enough for 2 visits... let me tell you that man needed A LOT more than two visits to a damn chiropractor, it was serious stuff.
There were a lot of things like that, they have these "doctors" working there who's sole purpose is to read requests for treatments and try to save the insurance companies by claiming it's not medically necessary.

Sorry for the rant, lol... but yeah I'm not sure if it's the same in hospitals.I'd hope not.

jdechant

Quote:
Originally Posted by xStarryEyedX
You said $240 for basic health care every 4 months, correct? Here a cheaper plan would be at about that every month.

Yikes!! Well I guess I have no reason to bitch about our health care! ...I guess I just compare it to other people in Alberta that get soo much more out of it then me...for instance, anyone that has (Indian Treaty Status) gets free health care, free prescriptions (most medical stuff) free dental...etc...I am allowed to bitch about this
yes.gif
because my BF is "treaty" so his benefits compared to what my daughter and myself have to pay are WAY BETTER...that being said, once I had his child (even though we are NOT married, and Jaelyn doesn't qualify to be treaty) we both no longer had to pay for Alberta Health Care (I dunno how that works but I wasn't going to argue it..lol) Even if we break up, I will still not have to pay for it anymore...makes me feel like i'm kinda part of a special "club" lol...but hey, $240.00 less every 4 months means more money for MAC...right girls?

Shenanigans

Quote:
smiles.gif

Yup, basic medical coverage will be free here as of January 1, 2009.

I am currently paying $44 a month for basic medical (my son lives in BC so I don't have to pay for him), and approximately $80 a month in group benefits (extended health, 80% prescription coverage, dental, etc.) I spent 10 years without extended coverage and dental, so I am more than willing to fork out the cash now that it's available to me, but I had to work my butt off to get this job and all the perks.

Jinni

I'm quite happy with the way it works here.

I honestly couldn't say if it would work in the US. It would certainly be more complicated with a country that size.

jdechant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shenanigans
Yup, basic medical coverage will be free here as of January 1, 2009.

I am currently paying $44 a month for basic medical (my son lives in BC so I don't have to pay for him), and approximately $80 a month in group benefits (extended health, 80% prescription coverage, dental, etc.) I spent 10 years without extended coverage and dental, so I am more than willing to fork out the cash now that it's available to me, but I had to work my butt off to get this job and all the perks.

Yah I think mine works out to be about $80 dollars or so a month for me and my daughter to be covered under extended benefits...

xxAngelxx

As a nurse, I pay about $200 a month for health insurance for my son and I. But I also see the bad side of healthcare. We have patients who can't afford certain treatments (that are not mandatory but would definately help), but the hospital HAS to treat the many illegal immigrants FOR FREE. Its sad.

But... I don't want my taxes increased to pay for someone else's healthcare. (Not sure how all that works though.) I've been in jobs (full time even) where I was not offered insurance so I had to pay cash for anything I needed. Yeah its hard, but it can be done. But yes, I do think insurance should be offered for ALL full-time employees.

shea_47

Quote:
anyone that has (Indian Treaty Status) gets free health care, free prescriptions (most medical stuff) free dental...etc...I am allowed to bitch about this
yes.gif
because my BF is "treaty" so his benefits compared to what my daughter and myself have to pay are WAY BETTER

I work at a dental office in Ontario and any dental office here is allowed to refuse to treat status Aboriginal people, anyone on Welfare or anyone with a mental illness. This however, is because the government only covers the cost of the materials used for the treatment, not the time slot...so the dentist and their staff is essentially losing money every time they treat an Aboriginal patient, a welfare patient or the psychologically ill. Only a couple offices in my city take these people at all, and my dentist will only take them for emergency procedures now, he no longer does preventative care except for the few 'good' patients that have caretakers, etc.

Chiropractic care is not covered at all anymore in Ontario, and eye care for anyone over the age of 18 is no longer covered by OHIP (Ontario Health Insurance Plan).

I do agree with universal healthcare but the government is getting more picky about the health they cover, and allow loopholes to be developed so family doctors and dentists don't have to treat anyone they choose.

leenybeeny

All I know is that I like the fact that here in Canada, I can walk into an emergency room and not worry about spending the rest of my life paying for the bill.