Some U.S. homes worth less than their copper pipes

ratmist

From Reuters:

Some U.S. homes worth less than their copper pipes | U.S. | Reuters

Excerpt:
Real estate brokers and local authorities say once-proud homes coast-to-coast are being stripped for copper, aluminum, and brass by thieves. Much of it ends up with scrap metal traders who say nearly all copper gets shipped overseas, much of it to China and India. In areas hit hardest by foreclosures, such as the Slavic Village neighborhood of Cleveland, Ohio, copper and other metals used in plumbing, heating systems and telephone lines are now more valuable than some homes.

"We're in an incredibly unfortunate time where the nonferrous metals commodities market for scrap is at an all-time high. Houses are getting stripped pretty quickly once they go through the foreclosure process," Cleveland city councilor Tony Brancatelli said.

"We're seeing houses sold for $100 that are distressed houses that should not be recycled," he said. Some boarded-up homes in his Slavic Village community have "No copper, only PVC" painted on the boards to stop would-be thieves.
Is the housing crisis affecting you? How do you feel about it? I worry about how this will affect my brother in America. It's already affecting my mother, who owns her home (and it's paid off), but she suffered a bad flood and needed the insurance to pay out. Turns out the contents of my childhood home are worth more than the home and the property itself. It chills the blood.

ratmist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paramnesia
Copper pipes and wires here have been getting stolen from train tracks, it's insane.

jawdrop.gif
That *terrifies* me!! Are those train tracks still in use?!?!

poddygirl

Theft of copper gutters and downspouts has been going on for awhile here in the Northeast. I'd say it is more widespread now due to the economy but it has been an issue for builders of "McMansions" here in my area for 10 years or so. They actually hire crews to stay on the job sites overnight to deter theft. Ironically it is often the people who install them who come back later to "remove" them lol. The gutters etc are worth a lot of $$$ in trade.

Paramnesia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmist
jawdrop.gif
That *terrifies* me!! Are those train tracks still in use?!?!

Yes they are, but I'm sure they fix them before trains are allow to us the tracks again. It's annoying because it can cause long delays.

Shimmer

The company my husband works for designs and fabricates light poles (stadium lighting, parking lot lighting, etc.) and they've had to design special locks and tools to get into the baseplates of the poles to prevent thieves from taking the wiring.

Dahlia_Rayn

Gah, I hate thieves. Stealing costs everyone money!! It makes me sick to my stomach that people will stoop so low, and honestly I don't think it's the people who are in dire financial trouble doing this crap, I think the majority are druggies looking to fund their next fix!

Latest posts