Sometimes I wonder why I bother

MAC_Whore

Amen. Yeah, that's right, spend $5,000.00 on your dress and then haggle for a $5.00 face. I can't understand??? The face is equally as important as the dress. Why do women feel the need to scrimp there? Do you want pictures of you in your gorgeous gown and a face that looks like shit? [/Rant]

Ella_

My cousin wants me to do her makeup for her wedding for nothing. Mind, I havent even started my makeup art course, but I'll be damned if Im going to be a GWK hack for her.

Shes not very happy with me at the moment for refusing to do it for her, but then again shes the kinda classy lady that decided to have her wedding on my birthday in retailliation... Like Im going to do her makeup now....

FacesbyNiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharyn
No more Bridezillas for me. Its too much work and stress. Brides suck. Most of them want to look like a goddes when they're scarecrows. I'm not a magician...

When my friend's sister in law asked me if I could do her wedding make up, I though about if for a second, after all, I know her a little and she seemed really excited about it. But then my friend asked her what she wanted to pay me, and she said she wasnt expecting to pay anything since doing someones make up isnt that much work, and that she wanted minimal make up, only foundation, smoky eye makeup with false lashes and a bit of lipgloss.

:spy: I said "sure, want fries with that?"

Just say no to ppl who dont aknowledge you.

rofl.gif
lmao.gif
rofl.gif
lmao.gif

ette

I've actually been lucky with brides. My hairdresser has been doing weddings for years and I do the makeup. Yes, they can be stressed out and very perfectionistic, but I guess I've been lucky in the fact that none want it done for free/pay me well. They stick to the price I set. Most of these clients are fairly wealthy so I guess I am in a good market. Wedding season (June) is coming and it's a very steady income for me. How much do you girls charge?
Me:
Test makeup $75
Bridal makeup $195
Mother of The Bride $75
All other members of the bridal party $60 each
Flower girls (little bit of l/g) $15 each

Dark_Phoenix

I'm not a MA, but at the last wedding I was in (my cousin's last spring in Blowing Rock which is ~2+ hr from anywhere noteable) all the bridesmaids paid $75 each for make-up application (her mother paid the other expenses of having the MA come from Charlotte <southern NC> to Blowing Rock <far western NC>, & bride's make-up... she just told us the MA was coming out and if we wanted make-up done professionally she and only she was going to do it... biotch didn't even give us the option of counter application >.<). Our skin looked awesome though; the MA used an airbrush machine for the foundation which IMO was totally worth the price.

Now, we're all wearing these uber bright blue/white gows. They're shiny and in a few test photos they will make you look pale. We all knew this before hand when we had make-up applied.

My aunt (who's 22) just had to keep insisting that blue was the ONLY color she would ever wear on her eyes. The MA told her that brown or a bronze would make them stand out more. But my aunt insisted and her face looked like a white/blue dinner plate in photos. It was *really* bad on her, like pale, sickly and kinda chubby... the MA tried her best to try and persuade her to use eyeliner at least but she said that eyeliner doesn't go with her dress -.-

Mine turned out okay, like the bride + other girls in the bridal party (everyone looked very china-doll-ish <how the blush was applied, eyeliner style, colors, etc..>... maybe that was just the MA's "thing"). But NEVER have the dress match the make-up O_O

Well I'm glad I clicked on this topic. *lol*

I had been thinking about asking my cousin's fiancèe if she would like me to do her make-up for their wedding day. But my sister warned me, "Because of how she is," and "Because you're family, she may want it for free."

Hmmmm.... having second thoughts now... *lol*

glamgirl

Wow! It sounds like you all have had some pretty horrible experiences doing bridal makeup. I have only done three, two were for coworkers (they were both clueless about makeup)and the second one she was a referral from the coworker.
Since I havent had much experience with it, I cant comment. I can comment on the prom girls and there moms!.. GOD help me.
The girls for the most part are cool, its there moms who are the pains.

littlemakeupboy

hahah bridezilla's
that's what I call them
I've done two weddings and thats it,one for a friend and the other some random client
Usually I don't do them because like you said they always want something cheap
This is how I make extra money which is just for random use but still I have to travel to these people,and I don't drive so having to haul stuff around isn't too easy for me

MAC_Pixie04

I helped with a wedding once, and the bride and her mother were the evilest bitches I'd ever seen in my life. The bride for one would not stop effing crying, and threw up twice while my friend was attempting to put make up on her. Finally he stops wasting his product and says "Look honey, pull it together. If you're gonna keep leaking out of your face, this makeup isn't gonna make it past this room." Upon hearing this, the mother, who initially insisted on her makeup being done for free because she was the mother of the bride, flips out on him for talking to her daughter that way on the "happiest day of her life." The bride continued to vomit and cry, ruining the makeup COMPLETELY, and then she and her mother had the audacity to ask us to start over and use waterproof materials.
So yes, I understand that some people want miracles for pennies, martygreene sounds like someone who's worth much more than that. I don't think it would be worth it for you either. Nobody should have to put up with crap like that for any amount of money.

MAC_Pixie04

Quote:
Originally Posted by reinventions
Well I'm glad I clicked on this topic. *lol*

I had been thinking about asking my cousin's fiancèe if she would like me to do her make-up for their wedding day. But my sister warned me, "Because of how she is," and "Because you're family, she may want it for free."

Hmmmm.... having second thoughts now... *lol*

holla to that! my brother's childhood friend got married in august and his fiance had the nerve to ask if i would do her makeup for free. and i wasn't even invited to their damn wedding. i wouldn't have even charged her that much because I wasn't professional and would have loved to do the work for a small fee and few photos for my portfolio but that wasn't enough. she specifically wanted it for absolutely nothing. ridiculous.