Spotting a real and fake MAC eyeshadow

I hope this is okay to post. (Please let me know if it's not.) I saw this on Glambot's site and I'm totally taking their information to share with you guys. I have asked for their permission and they said that sharing is caring. Spread the love!

They have some Friday posts where they spot different fake items, which I've found to be highly informative. Anyway, here are the pictures and info.

1. MAC eyeshadows have a very even, matte sheen to their pots. You will notice that all of the ones on the left hand side will have an even and a wider glow to them when you shine a light to them. The fake MAC eyeshadow on the right have a sharper, more uneven looking shine to them.

2. Fake MAC eyeshadow pots have visible, large specks of glitter in them, while real ones have glitter that blend in evenly. You can also see that the MAC logo is much thinner in the real one than the fake one (this will be really obvious in later photos).

3. Real MAC has a thin, greyish font that is written in ALL CAPS and has different information on it (matte, frost, etc) than the fake MAC eyeshadow. There’s also text imprinted into the bottom.

4. You can see the difference in thickness of the two MAC fonts as well as an obvious warp in the clear plastic. The real MAC looks even in all angles of the clear, plastic parts, while the fake MAC eyeshadow looks like someone smudged the plastic. (The smudge is about a cm under the MAC logo.)

5. On the back, there are two holes that hinges the lid of the makeup. I tried my best to get good pictures, but the real one on the left are very symmetrical and smooth. The one on the right has jagged edges and looks like someone just put a hot stick on the plastic to melt the holes there.

6. You can see the how pretty the logo looks in the real one and how messy it looks on the right. Here is also that bright glow I mentioned earlier with the two pots. Look at how even and bright the left one shines.

7. The packaging can look practically identical as well, but the real one has a rounder font that is always written in ALL CAPS. The fake MAC eyeshadow is written in upper and lower case.

8. Here’s that rounder font again on the bottom.

9. Not only is the font rounder, but it’s slightly whiter, too. Unfortunately, without a side-by-side comparison, the color difference barely noticeable, the dead giveaway will be that real MAC uses all caps versus the fake one.

kaseyjo

the best way to avoid fake mac is to buy from the mac site and its really not that much more expensive .. and your going to get the real deal :) but ebay is the worst place you can buy it .. i did a test a few months back and asked 6 sellers before i bought it if it was genuine mac makeup and all replied yes and when i recieved all six they were all fake so maybe best to not buy from there ... the mac site or mac counter is where to buy for sure