Starters for a 14 yr old??

Gloriamgo

Ok, so my cousin is about to turn 14 in Nov. and she's just recently started using make-up, well, eyeliner and mascara, and I want to get her a few things for her birthday. So, I need you girls to help me figure out what to get her. I don't really have a budget, since I have lots of time. So, I'm thinking nothing that requires too much skill, maybe a 15 e/s palette, and a few lipglosses and maybe a blush...what do you guys think? I would appreciate ideas as far as color and so on...so...suggest away!!

Oh yeah, and she lives just outside of Ottawa and I live in CA, so it has to be something that I can ship easily, maybe I can order it off of the Canadian website and just ship it to her? Would my credit card work ok on the Canadian website? Anybody know??

piika

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloriamgo
Oh yeah, and she lives just outside of Ottawa and I live in CA, so it has to be something that I can ship easily, maybe I can order it off of the Canadian website and just ship it to her? Would my credit card work ok on the Canadian website? Anybody know??

I don't really have the expertise to suggest actual products, but I do know that U.S. credit cards would work just fine on the Canadian web site. So it's entirely feasible to order things that way.

ambidextrous

15 e/s, lucky girl!
greengrin.gif

maybe some basic neutrals/browns and some bright colors to play with, just some suggestions since I don't know the MAC browns...:

-Vanilla or Nylon as a highlighter
-Carbon or Black Tied fot a smokey eye look
-Freshwater
-White Frost

As for lipgloss I think Viva Glam V and Prrr suit many skintones, although my personal fave is Oyster Girl

rouquinne

Gloria, your card will work here just fine.

i would get real basics - Naked Lunch, Mulch, Teddy liner, VG5 lipstick and gloss, Peach Keen blush.

Gloriamgo

Thanks guys, I think maybe I will just order a few things for her from the MAC Canada website, that way I don't have to worry about the shipping...

Any more recommendations?

Spam.n.Rice

Definitely shroom! It's such a great highlighter. Also sweet lust, carbon, swimming, tempting, Viva Glam V lipglass and the 213 brush.

tracie

nymphette looks really good on most people, you could try that. Maybe you could throw in a few bright colors with some neutrals, like swish, hepcat, etc. Something that isn't crazy dark
smiles.gif

jenjunsan

I'm with everyone else on the VG5 l/g. What about a pigment? I would have had so much fun with that as a teenager! I was thinking start her out with like vanilla or something easy. Of course you will be starting an addiction at a really young age....LOL

Hikaru-chan

Vanilla pigment.
A few natural e/s and maybe go for a grey or brown rather than black (for some reason black e/s on young girls just looks wrong IMO).
Viva Glam V.
A couple of brushes.

jess98765

every girls gotta have the prrr lipglass
smiles.gif

Wow, 15 e/s pallette?? My goodness, even i don't have 15 e/s yet!! the lucky girl
smiles.gif
lol
Well for colours, i suggest neutrals, browns, maybe a few shades of pink/ red. Defintely get lipglasses cos all girlys need lippys.... A blush??? She might not really need one. Instead i suggest a few good brushes that she can apply her eyeshadows with...
Hope you have fun shopping for her!
smiles.gif

Gloriamgo

As far as brushes go, I was just thinking of getting her one of the brush sets that are coming out in Oct. since it's a better deal and she's just starting out...And maybe one of the face palettes? IDK, I know I'm going to get her two or three lipglasses/lustreglasses, one blush, one brown and one black eyeliner, a mascara, and the 15 e/s, mostly neutral colors, because I don't want her mother to bite my head off!! So problably one green, one blue, one purple and so on...now I just have to figure out exactly which green, blue, purple...

Spam.n.Rice

Wow, that's very generous of you to buy that much makeup....I'd love you if I were that girl! lol

Actually I think that's a good idea to get the holiday brush sets....that's how I started out and it has the basics.

user4

i love expensive pink and antiqued. sushi flower is also a nice color (pink). i have shroom for highlight. maybe a paint in a neutral color for base (untitled, stillife or bare canvas).

martygreene

I gave quads to my cousins this past holiday season... I can't remember what was in each, but I know that I used differant ones for each of them. Some of the colors I chose were blackberry, vanilla, coquette, mink pink, sweet lust, yoghurt, bark... I'll see if I can find what I chose.

Here... I can't recall the fourth color for one of them, but these are what I gave them... and they were in grades 8-10.
1- Vanilla, Sweet Lust, Blackberry, ?
2- Vanilla, Mink Pink, Filament, Coquette
3- Vanilla, Jest, Shale, Yoghurt

banana

How thoughtful of you! I think you should get her a bunch of holiday stuff. The sets are so fun and some in really cute packaging. Definately get her the mini lip gelee set or a lustreglass and a TLC to start. I am from Ottawa myself and I see a lot of young girls sporting an Avril Lavigne style look of black eyeliner and mascara but nothing else. Maybe they don't like a lot of stuff on their lips or something. Plus her mom is less likely to get mad at you if you give her the lipgelees instead of the lipglass. Maybe get her the VGV lipglass to see if she likes it because I find lipglass is a love/hate thing.

For eyeshadow colours I recommend: cranberry, woodwinked, sumptuous olive and naked lunch. I don't know if I'd get her pigments... when I was 14 I couldn't be bothered with that stuff... if you do get her the mini set so if she spills one it's not a big deal. Young girls don't seem to like blush either but if you get her a sheertone shimmer like trace gold she can use it to add a little shimmer to her cheeks.

Gloriamgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by banana
How thoughtful of you! I think you should get her a bunch of holiday stuff. The sets are so fun and some in really cute packaging. Definately get her the mini lip gelee set or a lustreglass and a TLC to start.

I hadn't even thought of the mini sets!! That is such a good idea, I'm definitely going to get at least one of those for her! I had already decided on one of the brush sets and a couple other things from the holiday collection...

Quote:
I am from Ottawa myself and I see a lot of young girls sporting an Avril Lavigne style look of black eyeliner and mascara but nothing else.

LOL You've probably seen my cousin then!! She lives in Hull, so all she has to do is cross the bridge and she's in Ottawa, and she loves Avril Lavigne and the whole black eyeliner/bare face thing...that's why I'm trying to send her some things so she could add some color to her look!

iluvtinkerbell23

i love juxt, for a green. i'm thirteen, and my first three e/s where vanilla(highlighter), shale(lid), and sketch(liner). its great for an everyday look, i wear it to school all the time.