Stay with Clinique, but switch department stores

TexaslrGrl

I am currently working for Clinique at a certain department store, and would like to know the correct way to stay with this counter, but with a different retailer. I am actually very interested in working for the Nordstrom's close to my house and would just need to apply for their cosmetics department and hopefully they are hiring for Clinique. If Clinique isn't hiring, I am open to a different cosmetics line. I feel stuck. I want to be able to leave a 2 wks notice at my current store but I'm afraid if my current store manager finds out I applied at a diff department store, he/she would not be happy. Plus I know I have a Clinique account executive, but I don't know if he/she will help me since that's basically recruiting to a diff dept store. I honestly just don't know if I should say anything to anyone since I haven't even been interviewed. I don't want to burn bridges, but I am not happy at my current retailer.

Beautycouture

Is your account executive specific for your retailer? Usually they cover a wide range of retailers. If she covers a wide range of retailers I would tell her you want to grow with the company and that you are interested in Nordstrom. She is there to serve you, not really the retailer.

TexaslrGrl

Thank you for the reply! Yes, my account exec does cover other retailers besides the one I work at... but it's a tricky situation since he/she used to work at my store as the Clinique business Manager, and is semi close to our store manager..I am afraid that my account executive will tell (our store manager), and that they will keep me from working at another store in that same cosmetic line. I am just somewhat conflicted about how to handle the situation.

Our counter is short handed because we don't have a business manager right now- I decided not to take it, mainly because I don't want to grow with this employer.. many personal reasons, but if I apply right now at Nordstroms, and they want to interview me soon and hire me,, that will leave our counter short handed during gift.( we go in gift very soon) . so I have been holding off.. I probably shouldn't though because people tell me that I should do what's best for me.

Anyways, I could take the chance and tell my account exec because they probably would want me to stay with Clinique, rather than going with a different company if Nordstroms does want to hire me... I just have to be careful while I am still hired with my current employer.

Also, when applying on Nordstroms, what is the best thing to put on the section, "Why do you want to leave your current employer". ?? I get stuck there.. I want them to know that I would still love to work for Clinique, but I also don't want to limit myself.... I know that Clinique isn't the only good brand out there.. I just feel comfortable there. and have lots of experience with this company.. I've been with Clinique for 5 years!

Thank you for any input guys!!