stila at Target?

iheartcolor

Someone on another message board I belong to told me they saw stila at their local Target. I questioned her a bit and haven't heard back on an exact location, but I know it is in North Carolina. She knows stila's website and says she "distinctly remembers the logo" while she was at Target. Can it be true?!?

Can anyone confirm or deny?

-Lauren

Tashona Helena

That's interesting...maybe that store is a test store and they're seeing how good the line will do before they release it in more stores. The Target near me in MD has changed their makeup section around over the past year...wouldn't surprise me if they were experimenting! Sonia's line is about as expensive as Stila so!

ZoeFerret

I wouldn't be surprised. My local Target sell Philosophy, Kiehls, Iman stuff. Heck the Boots line is almost as much as Stila.

purrtykitty

I might wonder if EL is exploring putting Stila there to expand the brand since it's been doing so poorly. I noticed my Sephora boutique downsized its Stila display, indicating to me that the brand isn't selling so well.

astronaut

At first I was shocked, then I started reading the comments on this thread and it started making sense to me. I still don't like the idea of seeing Stila at Target though :\

Janice

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrtykitty
I might wonder if EL is exploring putting Stila there to expand the brand since it's been doing so poorly. I noticed my Sephora boutique downsized its Stila display, indicating to me that the brand isn't selling so well.

EL sold Stila to a private equity firm in 2006, they were out of commission for most of 2007. Stila reopened their site in late 2007 and now they are finding new distribution channels. So far the line has been spotted at ULTA online, though Target sounds doubtful the retail cosmetics model is changing and I wouldn't be surprised for us to see more prestige brands in places like Target, JC Penney, Kohls, etc.

iheartcolor

Quote:
Originally Posted by astronaut
At first I was shocked, then I started reading the comments on this thread and it started making sense to me. I still don't like the idea of seeing Stila at Target though :\

Agreed. For a reason I cannot pinpoint - it makes me unhappy to think stila may be found at Target.

I would abandon the brand altogether if Wal-Mart ever came into the picture.

-Lauren

astronaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janice
EL sold Stila to a private equity firm in 2006, they were out of commission for most of 2007. Stila reopened their site in late 2007 and now they are finding new distribution channels. So far the line has been spotted at ULTA online, though Target sounds doubtful the retail cosmetics model is changing and I wouldn't be surprised for us to see more prestige brands in places like Target, JC Penney, Kohls, etc.

JC Penny I can totally see because well, they have a Sephora tee hee.

liv

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartcolor
Agreed. For a reason I cannot pinpoint - it makes me unhappy to think stila may be found at Target.

I would abandon the brand altogether if Wal-Mart ever came into the picture.

-Lauren

I agree totally, and I can't pinpoint what it is either. I honestly can't see stila doing well in target, as I don't think their target (bad pun) demographic is willing to fork over $18 for an e/s and a pot to put it in.
I wouldn't like for it to be in Kohl's either.

I can't see it going to JC Penney either, because it's already sold at the Sephora's that are inside Penney's.

IheartCosmetics

Target is illegally(not sure if that's quite the right word) selling Stila, I am betting. Just like they are with OPI, Philosophy, and other similar brands. Bare Escentuals was one of the recent ones.
nonono.gif

lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartCosmetics
Target is illegally(not sure if that's quite the right word) selling Stila, I am betting. Just like they are with OPI, Philosophy, and other similar brands. Bare Escentuals was one of the recent ones.
nonono.gif

Grey market reselling is the term you're looking for. It's legal, but in a very undefined, grey way.

Fairybelle

My local Target was selling Coach and D&B purses and wallets last year--not the 'inspired' stuff but the real deal...there was quite a heated fight about it between designers and outlets like Target. Target gets stuff from the 'grey' market so it is technically not illegal for them to sell the higher end stuff that they are selling. Coach and D&B basically told the public that Target was selling 'fakes' at their stores, but I took a good look at the products (I KNOW my designer goods) and they looked pretty real to me--the designers don't want to admit that somehow some of their stuff made its way from a third party to Target... So, going back to topic, my thoughts are that through this grey market Target was able to get some Stila and is selling it. My local Target also has Bare Minerals Starter Kits, Tigi hair products, Paul Mitchell, Opi Nail Care, etc., at times, so I would not be surprised to see Stila there. Hope this helps answer some questions.

MiCHiE

Diversion, diversion, diversion. It's all over the beauty industry. Products that are "Pro Only" and "Sold Only in _________" are making their ways to Target, WalMart and even Walgreens. Stila probably knows nothing about this. I would hate to think that they do and they're only in it for a buck, but whatever pays the bills. I don't mind it if the quality is the same. I can only buy it online here.

sweetmelissa

I'm not sure how I feel about this. Part of me says that this will take something away from the cache of the brand-but another part of me says -um, stop being so superficial. So you can buy it at target, big deal. I'm not going to stop buying it if I see it at Target.

Though really, I think I would cringe inside to see it at Wal-mart.

newagetomatoz

I'm kind of on the fence about this.

I'm in favor of to because I rarely get to the mall that has a Sephora and sells Stila, so I never really get a chance to try it out more frequently or even buy it, unless its online. But their swatches are almost as bad as some of MAC's. But Target is way closer for me, so I would probably buy some Stila since I have more access to it.

However, I'm sort of against it because it seems just...off. Like something that rubs you the wrong way and you can never identify it. It would definately feel wrong to see Stila sold at Target. I can see my Macy's, since the JC Penney's by me doesn't sell cosmetics, getting a counter or even the Kohl's by me. Ehh, I think I'm leaning toward not liking it though.

Beauty Mark

I don't think it's a big deal. Target's ethics are better than that of Wal-Mart (Wal-Mart's are horrible, though the workers are always very nice folks), but at the end of the day, Stila is Stila.

It is weird but I don't think it's a bad thing. I don't know if it's smart for Target, since Stila is quite pricey compared to other brands they sell

Love Always Ivy

we all see Stila thrown into a sad little bucket at TJ Maxx.... whats so bad about Target? Target to me is the Neiman Marcus of superstores. LOVE target.

ARmakeupjunkie

I would not have a problem if it was sold in Target, Wal-Mart or wherever. I love getting things for next to nothing if it's from Wal-Mart, JCPenny, or Macys. I don't feel like I'm above buying from Wal-Mart or Target anymore than I would think I'm not good enough to shop at Macys. If its legal, then it is what it is.
smiles.gif

Latest posts