Stila brushes

LoisLane22

Stila brushes are the best

I think Stila brushes are better quality. The handles are sturdier and the bristles softer. My MAC brushes are always losing hair, but not my Stila ones. I also think the Stila brushes are easier to clean and keep clean.

My personal favourite is the #21 double duty cheek contour and blush brush. It's soft and you can use it to apply face powder or blush. Other favs are the #2 under eye concealer brush - long handle and #9 all over blend brush - long handle.

Pale Moon

I love Stila's brushes too. I have #5 and #7.. my eye makeup (together with MAC's 239 and 252) cannot be more perfect.

I feel like getting #20 cuz the slanted circular tip sounds totally awesome. But I don't like the concept of double-ended! (SA tried to convince me.. but I'm not.. not yet) Anyone using it? Share with me please!

Or any alternatives?

Sophia84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pale Moon
I love Stila's brushes too. I have #5 and #7.. my eye makeup (together with MAC's 239 and 252) cannot be more perfect.

I feel like getting #20 cuz the slanted circular tip sounds totally awesome. But I don't like the concept of double-ended! (SA tried to convince me.. but I'm not.. not yet) Anyone using it? Share with me please!

Or any alternatives?

Ohhh I love the #20!!! I have the same problem with the double ended but I love them too much so I store them in drawers!

Pale Moon

Sophia.. that's what you do? Aww.. if I get it, I should get a brush pouch for it then. (normally I store brushes in a cup
greengrin.gif
) I wish it comes with a cap for the other end...

Sophia84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pale Moon
Sophia.. that's what you do? Aww.. if I get it, I should get a brush pouch for it then. (normally I store brushes in a cup
greengrin.gif
) I wish it comes with a cap for the other end...

MAybe they have a cap but mine was a gift from a girl so no cap for mine!

Pale Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophia84
MAybe they have a cap but mine was a gift from a girl so no cap for mine!

I see. Will check it out at the counter then. Thanks load!
smiles.gif

allegro

I have a bunch of Stila brushes, could not say off hand how many. I love them - the #4 is a great liner / smudge pot brush, or to use wet w/ shadows as liners. I love the new #28 smudge and line brush - a very fine liner brush on one edge and a short, stiffer brush on the other to smudge. #30, another double, is also a winner - a shadow brush on one end and then a little brosh to get into the crease on the other. #21 is nice - a flat brush for blush or whatever - I also like to use for applying powder. And #24 - double sided illuminating powder brush is delightfully soft and I like using the smaller end to apply shimmer. #20 enhancer is awesome - double sided - with a softly angled end to blend color from lash line up to the crease.

I also have mac - in fact, I have the big Mac blush brush and (I think #1) stila brush, the size and shape as well as quality are virtually identical. I don't think you can go wrong with either brand.
smiles.gif

Cheers,
Carol

Sophia84

Quote:
Originally Posted by allegro
I have a bunch of Stila brushes, could not say off hand how many. I love them - the #4 is a great liner / smudge pot brush, or to use wet w/ shadows as liners. I love the new #28 smudge and line brush - a very fine liner brush on one edge and a short, stiffer brush on the other to smudge. #30, another double, is also a winner - a shadow brush on one end and then a little brosh to get into the crease on the other. #21 is nice - a flat brush for blush or whatever - I also like to use for applying powder. And #24 - double sided illuminating powder brush is delightfully soft and I like using the smaller end to apply shimmer. #20 enhancer is awesome - double sided - with a softly angled end to blend color from lash line up to the crease.

I also have mac - in fact, I have the big Mac blush brush and (I think #1) stila brush, the size and shape as well as quality are virtually identical. I don't think you can go wrong with either brand.
smiles.gif

Cheers,
Carol

Carol I see you have the new #30 brush!!! I really want to buy it becasue of the blending brush! I don't own any blending brush, do you think I should buy this one to be my first blending brush or it's not so good a s blending and it's better for crease? I already have the #20 and I use the large end for crease! Or I should be looking for a good blending brush at Mac???

TrusyMyEyes

I have in stila #30 (I haven't used yet), #5, #9, #10, #13 and #24.

#9 is a great crease brush if you want a precise line, but hte shadow has to be extremely pigmented and able to go on well.

This morning I tried to use my #9 with velvet moss in my crease and it just went sour. But, I used the MAC 222 And it was soo precise and thick. Like it didn't spread or blend the color out it laid it down and thats exactly what I needed.

#10, is good for fluid liners and is very precise. Almost too precise I need to find another liner that can lay down a thicker line. This liner lays down and very sharp and thin line.

#13, is good for getting color right between the lashes and for lining. I used it this morning to line my lower lashline with color. The lines are extremely precise.

#24, Its a highlighter and blush brush. It is so soft and if you are using a blush that you can over apply on accident, this brush is good for getting a natural blush look.

#5, All overshadow brush, excellent. I've never used a bad all overshadow brush though..but I like it..alot. Especially with stila shadows.

Just my experienes. Thanks.

star07

Bringing this back up to ask:

What kind of animal hairs are Stila brushes made up? If anyone has a breakdown of all kinds, that would be great.

Twinkle_Twinkle

I just got my Stila face brush (#8 I think) and blush brush (#1) in the mail today. The face brush is wonderfully soft (but flat, I'm hoping it will fluff out) but the blush brush is not nearly a soft as I had hoped. In fact it is scratchy! I am very dissappointed. Anyone else notice this with their #1? I am going to wash it to see if that helps any...

star07

I just bought the Stila Holiday 2005 brush set off eBay and I was wondering if anyone had this set and if they were really the full-sized short handle brushes (#2, #4, #9, #10, #11) with silver handles. If you could tell me the quality of the brushes, that would be superb as well.
oh.gif
) TIA!

stila_holiday___2_r6_c5.jpg

star07

Stila CS wrote back to my question about what hairs are used for their brushes. Thought this might help someone/everyone.

#1 Blush Brush: black goat hair
#2 Under Eye Concealer Brush: sable hair
#4 Precision Eyeliner Brush: pony hair
#5 All Over Shadow Brush: pony & goat hair
#6 Lip Brush: sable hair
#7 Precision Crease Brush: pony & goat hair
#8 Loose Powder Brush: fine goat hair
#9 All Over Blend Brush: fine goat hair
#10 Eyebrow Brush: taklon
#11 Face Concealer Brush: taklon
#13 One Step Eyeliner Brush: taklon
#15 Double-Sided Brush: large end: pony & goat, small end / squirrel
#17 Retractable Bronzing Brush: goat hair
#18 Dual Ended Brow Brush: pony mane & badger
#19 All Over Shimmer Brush: fine goat
#20 Eye Enhancer Brush: crease: pony & goat, liner : fine goat
#21 Double Duty Brush: fine goat
#24 Double Sided Illuminating Powder Brush: fine goat
#26 Concealer: Taklon
#27 Foundation: Taklon
#28 Smudger/liner: Pony/sable

pichima

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle_Twinkle
I just got my Stila face brush (#8 I think) and blush brush (#1) in the mail today. The face brush is wonderfully soft (but flat, I'm hoping it will fluff out) but the blush brush is not nearly a soft as I had hoped. In fact it is scratchy! I am very dissappointed. Anyone else notice this with their #1? I am going to wash it to see if that helps any...

I've got #1 (blush brush) and find it very scratchy and badly shaped if that makes any sense... I even thought it might be fake!!!I got it from strawberrynet.com, so I could not check the quality beforehand, and I was so disappointed that I went to sephora and got a cheaper ( but much softer) sephora blush brush the same week.

Twinkle_Twinkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by pichima
I've got #1 (blush brush) and find it very scratchy and badly shaped if that makes any sense... I even thought it might be fake!!!I got it from strawberrynet.com, so I could not check the quality beforehand, and I was so disappointed that I went to sephora and got a cheaper ( but much softer) sephora blush brush the same week.

Yeah, nothing short of a miracle will make that brush softer, and I just can't bring myself to use it on my face. What a waste really. I wrote an email saying that the brush sucks and isn't on par with the rest of their brushes.

star07

I have the #1 as well and read on MUA reviews that an SA at Stila told someone to buy it to use with the Convertible Colors. I did today with Lillium and I have to admit I like how it turned out. I tried washing it as well and yeah, not softer..

If you have a #8 brush, how do you girls wash yours?

Anaiis

I got 2 double ended brushes - #24 and #15, both are great quality. They are softer than MAC brushes so it depends on personal preferences IMHO:
#24 is perfect for me to apply mineral blushes, but I rarely use #15 since I prefer less soft brushes for e/s.

user79

I just got the Nr. 5 short handled (silver) one and I used it this morning. I really liked it! I got this in a swap so I actually didn't know how big it was. It's a bit hard for precision work, but for a quick all-over color deposit or a wash it's perfect! This is great for when you're in a rush and just want to slap on one or 2 eyeshadows.

I washed it before using and I was surprised how well it kept it's shape, there's less splaying of the bristles as with the white goat haired MAC brushes, which I have to wrap in toilet paper while drying so they keep their shape.

chickenkebob

I love love Stila #28. The two ended brush with the eyeliner brush and then a smudging side. If you use stila smudge pots, it's almost a must. I normally switch between using that and the mac 209. I think its because the consistency of the smudge pots are different from the fluidlines, that its kind of hard to draw a good clean line without a thin brush. =)