Storing your makeup at Uni/College

Feminist.

I did a search and couldn't find anything. Soooo, all you ladies who are/have been university students... what was your storage solution for all your makeup while you were at school?

I definitely want to take it all with me (duhr), but I need to figure out how I'm gonna have some nice set up in a room that's not mine!

I don't *really* want to do a traincase simply because I'm going to university abroad and I'm not really too keen on putting a traincase in a suitcase :S

Thanks in advance
smiles.gif

Lucky1288

Hmmm. Well before for travel I would just throw it all in a giant makeup bag and then when I got to my room I had it all organized into plastic containers based on the type of makeup. I didnt have room in my dorm to display it so it all just went in shelves in the closet. However this year I have my own room so I plan on making a vanity to place it all on. However, as of right now, all my makeup is in 2 traincases. In my opinion a traincase is the most convenient, especially for travel. Also if you organize it nicely you can leave it open and out on top of a dresser and it will look nice. Im not exactly sure of any other way that is nice, space efficient and easy for travel and moving, but I will get back to you if I think of anything else.

pinknilla

I used a traincase because 1. It locks and if you have a roommate you dont want them or any of there visitors stealing anything 2. Great for traveling back and forth from home to school.....I kept mine on top of my dresser, but now that I am home for the summer I find it much easier storing my stuff in one of those plastic drawers on top of my dresser.

Stephie Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinknilla
I used a traincase because 1. It locks and if you have a roommate you dont want them or any of there visitors stealing anything 2. Great for traveling back and forth from home to school.....I kept mine on top of my dresser, but now that I am home for the summer I find it much easier storing my stuff in one of those plastic drawers on top of my dresser.

I totally agree!! I just got a traincase. I love it because it locks. Since you are studying abroad, you can always take it as a carry-on luggage. I wouldn't recommend checking it at the airport.

boudoirblonde

GET ONE THAT LOCKS!!
I would have to recommend a traincase, and depot your shadows to fit into palettes (quads or 15) to save space

unbelizable

I'd definitely recommend a traincase - I lived with a group of guys last year and oh goshhhhhh, I had all my make up out on the side as I had a HUGE DESK (hardly any room for my laptop and TV but make up comes first), and they would come in and randomly use it for themed nights out, three of them were members of the American Football Team so they had to dress up as the cheerleaders once a month (and cheerleaders as the American Football Team) for nights out and pile on the make up and end up looking like drag queens! I was like HEY, ASK ME FIRST!! I swear boys can be worse than girls at times with make up... well at university anyway haha.. so yeah defo something with a lock - if you want to show it off..could always try and find something that was see-through or something?

UPDATE: Oh also if there was a fire (you never know.. there was a fire on the floor below mine in my first year at university and the flat/dorm opposite ours set their toaster on fire - by accident of course!) you can grab your traincase when you have to go outside.. yeah you might look a bit crazy (especially if the fire alarms have gone off because someones burnt toast! and it's a false alarm) but hey make up costs a LOT of money!

SkylarV217

I completely agree , YOU hear horror stories of room mates and suite mates using LE collectible items ... and lots of Sticky Fingers .... College is a wonderful but crazy time and there are all sorts of people that have access to your things not to mention the R.A's that do random "Inspections". If you don't want to check your train case make sure you have taken everything out and put it in your bag that they won't allow on the plane . and carry the rest of it on with you =)

prinzessin784

I got one of those three drawer plastic things for school and one for at home. It was small but my collection fit between the two of them. And I just had to tape the drawers shut when I brought it home.

Feminist.

hey guys! thanks so much for the feedback.
i just the mac carry all today which i think is really cute... but it doesn't lock like some of you have said. i will have my own room, so hopefully i'll be fine :S i can always buy a little padlock
greengrin.gif

the only thing i have against a traincase is that i don't think it would fit in a suitcase... and i wouldn't want airline people to attack me and say i couldn't bring my makeup on the plane or something because some of it was liquid
ssad.gif

that would be TRAGIC.

as for shadows... i have like 60... all in their pots! i kinda like them that way... but i realise it might be a bit tricky for uni
ssad.gif

i'm also a bit paranoid about my colours becoming contaminated if they're in palettes! anyone have any advice on that... or am i just being silly!

oh AND i'm terrified of breaking my shadows or screwing them up!
ssad.gif

Brittni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feminist.
hey guys! thanks so much for the feedback.
i just the mac carry all today which i think is really cute... but it doesn't lock like some of you have said. i will have my own room, so hopefully i'll be fine :S i can always buy a little padlock
greengrin.gif

the only thing i have against a traincase is that i don't think it would fit in a suitcase... and i wouldn't want airline people to attack me and say i couldn't bring my makeup on the plane or something because some of it was liquid
ssad.gif

that would be TRAGIC.

as for shadows... i have like 60... all in their pots! i kinda like them that way... but i realise it might be a bit tricky for uni
ssad.gif

i'm also a bit paranoid about my colours becoming contaminated if they're in palettes! anyone have any advice on that... or am i just being silly!

oh AND i'm terrified of breaking my shadows or screwing them up!
ssad.gif

Glad to see I'm not alone! I love keeping them in their pots. I don't know why, but I just can't bring myself to depot any of them!

Also, you can use your traincase as your one carry-on item, can't you?

Feminist.

Yeah, I don't think that would be a problem using it as my carry on (although god knows how I'd carry my guitar... violin... laptop!), but I don't want the baggage people to throw a hissy fit and take some of my make up out because they think i'll make a bomb or something :O

that would be JUST my luck for that to happen
ssad.gif

Flaerong

Whatever you do, make sure you get something that locks! Treat your makeup collection as you would your laptop.

SingFrAbsoltion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feminist.

Put a piece of toilet paper or tissue paper on top, they'll be okay. I have a palette that has a broken eyeshadow in it and I do this, it doesn't get on the other ones.

RoxyJ

You can also look around at tool bozes, or fishing tackle boxes. They can be more compact, and many of them have a spot to use a lock.

hotmodelchiq

LOCK IT UP because bitches steal!!!!!!! When I was in college my roommate would use or "borrow" my stuff w/o asking and I couldn't figure out why I ran out so fast!!!! One day She asked me to grab something out of a drawer for her and I found 2 pigments, 3 shadows, and 2 lipglasses ALL MINE!!!!
angry.gif
SHE DIDN'T EVEN WEAR MAC she used covergirl... so I got a tool box and locked it up!!! Sorry if this seems angry... just brought back bad memories lol

Chelsssea

If you're going abroad, DO NOT bring your whole collection (assuming your collection is as big as mine). Believe me, I LOVE makeup, but you will have a ton of other stuff to worry about and fees are outrageous when you go over the limit of weight. You will need it in clothing/shoes/etc. I recommend to put all your powders (blushes, eyeshadows, bronzer, pressed powder, etc) in carry on. Once when I went on vacation, all my makeup got destroyed in the bag that I checked. Now, I carry-on everything important that's not liquid. I used a big backpack that I put my laptop, cameras, and makeup in 2-3ish small makeup bags). I'm not big on eyeshadow, but I just brought a few palettes. I don't know how sturdy traincases are, but IMO, putting your traincase in your suitcase is potentially setting yourself up for heartbreak. One time when I flew the METAL frame in my suitcase came out completely bent! We don't know what they do to suitcases and it's not worth it IMO. You can try carrying on the traincase (but then you will have to put all the liquids in your suitcase that's checked or if they will fit in a plastic bag). My recommendation is if you're only going for 1 semester-try to compact your stuff..only bring what you need plus a few extras. If you're going for your whole college career-maybe try carrying on the traincase. I would NOT pack the traincase in my suitcase though.
I've always been lucky with roomates that I've never had anyone steal, but I would try to make sure it's not easily accessible to people as well.