Strange advice when foundation shopping

lindas1983

I went on the hunt today for the perfect fondation to fit my very pale complexion. I've been on this hunt many times before and have about £200 worth of useless foundation sitting in a drawer that either wasn't pale enough or turned me a weird shade of yellow. This time I was intend on getting what i wanted and not being talked into a colour I wasn't sure of and walking away unhappy.

So off I went around all the counters in my local debenhams, the dior lady was lovely and honest that they had nothing pale enough for me that would look yellow on me as was the guerlain lady. The benefit lady pointed me towards a powder foundation as that was there palest but I said no as my skin was very dry so powders where not what i was looking for (all proud of myself for saying no) Then off to the clinique counter where the lady gave me the strangest advice i've ever heard and i'm actually upset now i bought into it.

I was explaining what i wanted, something that matched me exactly that wouldn't turn yellow on me, wouldn't cake up on my dry skin and that would blend into my skin exactly so she tried on alabaster in the superbalancing makeup. When she asked me to look in the mirror and see what i thought i was able to point out the line on my neck very easily where she had blended it in.

Here comes the advice,

Oh you'll never get anything that will match your skin tone exactly, no foundation will, just powder down your neck thats the best you'll get. So i sat there a bit shocked and just nodded and bought it.

My question is, is this advice right? Or did I get conned again into another foundation i'll never use to throw into my drawer of wasted money.

aussiemacluvrrr

Ive been given that advice before.... Its not entirely incorrect, but it isn't fantastic advice IMHO.... I have seen Pixiwoo on You Tube talk about doing this if you are wearing a foundation that is a little too dark for your skin... If you blend it down your neck, the foundation doesnt look so wrong....

However there shouldnt have been a stark line where the foundation ended.. It should blend in well.... So I'm guessing the colour is wrong for you...

You probably should look into MUFE foundations which I believe have some really light colours...

A foundation is never going to match your skin perfectly, because it isnt made specifically for you. However, you can try and get a really really close match......

kiss

She was just trying to sell a product. I would bring it back if I could. Iam very very pale with pink undertones and I don' have to put foundation on my neck to match the foundation to my skin. The lightest shade of Revlon colorstay matches me very well and the foundation is great. Also check out makeup forever. I use a concealer from them which is pale and works well. I am sure I saw pale pinky foundations there which I will try out when my bottle is done.

LisaOrestea

Yeah that sounds like a selling tactic to me
ssad.gif

Have you tried illamasqua's foundations? Some of theres are VERY pale...like down to white.

lindas1983

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiemacluvrrr
Ive been given that advice before.... Its not entirely incorrect, but it isn't fantastic advice IMHO.... I have seen Pixiwoo on You Tube talk about doing this if you are wearing a foundation that is a little too dark for your skin... If you blend it down your neck, the foundation doesnt look so wrong....

However there shouldnt have been a stark line where the foundation ended.. It should blend in well.... So I'm guessing the colour is wrong for you...

You probably should look into MUFE foundations which I believe have some really light colours...

A foundation is never going to match your skin perfectly, because it isnt made specifically for you. However, you can try and get a really really close match......

I'd love to try the MUFE foundations but unfortunatly they are extremely hard to get in the UK and I feel a bit weird buying from the internet without trying them on in person, not that trying it on in person has helped me this far either lol.

Its goog to know that its normal not to get an exact match my skin as this is always what i've been looking for and holding out to get, although might be a bit hard for me when blending down my neck as my skin actually gets lighter the further down I go lol. I'm practically a ghost when you get to my decolitay or however you spell it
smiles.gif

Damn my skin for being so ackward lol.

lindas1983

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiss
She was just trying to sell a product. I would bring it back if I could. Iam very very pale with pink undertones and I don' have to put foundation on my neck to match the foundation to my skin. The lightest shade of Revlon colorstay matches me very well and the foundation is great. Also check out makeup forever. I use a concealer from them which is pale and works well. I am sure I saw pale pinky foundations there which I will try out when my bottle is done.

Wish I could bring it back, think the returns policy in the uk is that you can only bring it back if you've a reaction to it, whole point of try before you buy I suppose. I need to be more strong willed when shopping I always feel really ackward saying no when someones took there time with me
ssad.gif

DILLIGAF

I'm not a pale girl but Ive heard wonderful things about Illamasqua foundation for the beyond Ivory girl.

obscuria

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindas1983
Wish I could bring it back, think the returns policy in the uk is that you can only bring it back if you've a reaction to it, whole point of try before you buy I suppose. I need to be more strong willed when shopping I always feel really ackward saying no when someones took there time with me
ssad.gif

That just seems strange.

If that were the case I would probably just fib and say that I did have a reaction to it.

SmokeSignal16

OK I work for Clinique and that lady is an idiot! This makes me sooo mad when people are given wrong advice! The first thing she did was give you the wrong type of foundation and shade of foundation. Since you indicated you had drier skin and did not like powders I would try the Supermoisture foundation. It has a built in moisturizer in the foundation with a semi-dewy look to it. It's a really nice foundation (I have oily skin but I got one for free so I tried it out not bad!) and I would recommend looking at Pure Porcelain or Linen as your shades since they are like some of the fairest we carry. I have very fair skin too and I'm in the same boat in trying to find shades that match me even in my own line! And the advice she gave you was um pretty inaccurate, she just has the inability to take time to find you the right formular and shade. If you have any other questions feel free to ask me either here or pm me! But yeah if not just say you had a reaction so you won't get guzzled out of money, say you broke out in hives or something.

PinkBasset

iagree.gif
The Supermoisture foundation by Clinique is one of the best foundations I've ever used (and there are many!
lol.gif
)! I use the 02 Linen and I'm NC15 in Mac shades. I like that it is quite sheer and not heavy at all, a bit like a tinted moisturizer in a way. The dewy finish looks great!

greengoesmoo

I left home 5 years ago, but I still get my dad to take stuff back for me, he seems to have the gift of getting a refund on anything, and getting freebies.

have you tried mixing your own tones from pallettes/ all your other ones to try and get a match? It might be worth a go, and will save it going dusty.

*JJ*

have you tried mac's new mineralize foundation yet? i've never worn mac foundations because they were all too dark but this one works for me!

Nastka

Giorgio Armani's Face Fabric Second Skin in #8 is practically alabaster without any undertones. It's a little pricey for £28 but it's godsend for me. Revlon's Colorstay Mineral Makeup in Fair works great as a finishing powder over it or on its own and doesn't break the bank (£10 - £12).

mizuki~

IIRC correctly, I think Dita Von Teese mixes in MAC's Face and Body in White (MAC Pro product) in her foundations to get a paler shade. It's worth a try
smiles.gif

panda0410

Quote:
Originally Posted by greengoesmoo
I left home 5 years ago, but I still get my dad to take stuff back for me, he seems to have the gift of getting a refund on anything, and getting freebies.

have you tried mixing your own tones from pallettes/ all your other ones to try and get a match? It might be worth a go, and will save it going dusty.

ROFL, omg, that made me laugh
winks.gif
I couldnt see my dad ever taking back a makeup item for me, but he sure had a silver tongue as well - could swindle anyone into giving him what he wanted!!

I do the same sometimes mixing foundations, I have been really happy with my Shiseido foundation, they make some beautiful pale shades, but in the summer I often will mix my foundations. I have quite a few darker (well darker by compariosn, they are still pale) NP foundations which I mix now and then to get a good balance of colour for those few months of the year when I need something with a little more colour but dont want whats available over the counter - the darker ones are usually horribly yellowy based and it make me look sick
ssad.gif

Kragey

I don't know if Shiseido's foundations will work for the OP, because in my experience, they're all very yellow. But MUFE and Revlon Colorstay seem to have a few that will work for porcelain ladies.

Latest posts