strip black color?

ruby_soho

It will damage your hair to get the black out, doing it yourself you'll probably need two applications of bleach. I would recommend going to a salon, or calling a beauty school like Marvel who do salon procedures ridiculously cheap. For afterwards I would definitely buy a liquid keratin spray, like Wella's (it's only $10 canadian), to strengthen your hair.

so_siqqq

It'll take awhile to completly strip the black out. Stripping the hair is in short bleaching it of all color. The hair will most likely not be too damaged. Though it may cost a bit since your hair is black because it'll take longer to do the procedure.

Isis

I recently colored my hair black too, usually it's a very vibrant red, and I did go to my salon to have it taken out. It took 2 lifting processes + one all over color and redlights. The entire time it took was about 4 1.2 hours. It's pretty almost back to normal now, but not quite. It's going to be spring by the time I have it back to where it was.
If you have it done professionally, there will be minimal damage. And it is going to take a while for your hair color to get back to where you like it, as even after your hair is stripped of the color and then died over again, it's still going to come out a bit darker than you'd like. Just keep that in mind when you have this done.
Good luck!

jenni13083

hello there i am a cosmetologist and i would recommend going to a salon and having them strip the color for you also because you are stripping the color out you are going to be damaging your hair and then your gonna have to recolor it a color that you want.... i suggest that you go to a salon that carries paul mitchell color and make sure that when you go to re-color your hair that they have the PMSHINES line also that dosent have any ammonia or any bad chemicals in to to harm your hair, its not a permanent color so it will fade but you can go back over it again with the same color and then you should be good to go for a while, the PMSHINES is a very natural translucent color also...and then for hair care i would recommend buying the paul mitchell super strong it makes your hair up to 50% stronger... i hope this helps you if you havent already gone to the salon okie dokie

prppygrl69

ohh man paul mitchell totally screwed up my hair it was blonde then i went brown it came out orange n i got it done at my paul mitchell school...and the pm shines i do like specially the clear one so you can gloss it up every now n then but i did do nutmeg from the pmshines line but it washed out to what i call cockroach brown lol but yeah back to the topic i agree with jenni get it done professionaly please!

user3

I once had my hair jet black with bright red highlights. It is possible to remove the color without causing major damage but it will cause damage! I did my hair myself the black color and the removal. I can't recall what I used for the removal but I got it at Sally's Beauty Supply. After I did the color removal I had to dye my hair right away. If you are not that experienced with hair color I would not chance removing the color at home.

My cousin had her hair dyed black and her stylist refused to remove it. She told her to let it grow out! Her hair was very fragile and the removal would have made her hair break off.

I just got lucky that I have very "strong" hair. I also have a friend that is a stylist check out my hair before I did the removal. There are a few ways to check. She pulled out a hair of mine and yanked on it. (not super hard) She said that fragile hair would have broke. Tons of split ends is also a sign that you might want to wait.

Another option for you is highlights. They will help lessen the look of the dark hair and help mask your natural color as you grow it out.

Don't get me wrong just because my hair didn't break off doesn't mean I didn't pay for the removal. I did end up with dry end. After a few months I couldn't take it anymore and I ended up chopping off 8 inches of my hair! I am a long hair lover and that just about killed me!

pushhupsindrag

i am doing the exact same thing tomorrow! my hair (black, not naturally though) and im gonna be dying most of it a lighter color. i went to my hair place today and they said that i would have to get it stripped two times and that it will cause some damage not alot though and nothing that cant be fixed in time. or they can just find the color i want and go a couple of shaded lighter and it should come out. but i persoanllly dont think that would work. hope that helped!

user3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJones
Thanks for all answers!

@ zap2it

my hair is healthy and strong, without any split ends. I think it's worth risking it...

I'll visit a salon next year (haha you can already say that
winks.gif
) and ask for help. I hope everythings turns out well....

Not a problem!

let us know how things turn out. I am sure it will all be fine
smiles.gif

prppygrl69

yes at sallys its called color corrector if you wanna remove the black but get 2 boxed if you have a thick layer of dye from redying it,but make sure its not the collor corrector with bleach,you dont want that.youll blow your cuticle bad.i believe it costs round 12$ for one box follow directions as givin.and youll do fine i do that every once in awhile so the black wont build up bad and be even harder to remove when i wanna go lighter,im thinking of goin lighter,cant.....stay......one......color....too.. ..hard lol.i wish i could do it for you,but do make sure you get a toner also its by clairol called creme tones or something like that you might wanna get white beige it has a blue base,cuz when you remove the black you might have a lil warm undertones left from the removal.hope this works

user3

after time it will even out as you color it.

That's great that you did it yourself and all turned out fine!

See it's not as hard as some people make it out to be. You just have to be easy on your hair and it will work out.

Eye<3Colour

the salon i goto uses a color remover. not bleach. i had mine black and it took in one lift. ask your salon if they have a color removal system, it doest damage the hair at all. afterwards they can put the color you want on. make sure the salon is experienced in the color removal process tho. its pricey, it cost me almost 160 dollars. for the removal and then putting on the color. here is a picture of what it ended up as, after she removed the black
smiles.gif

us0084jc.jpg

good luck!!!

There is a product called Phantom color corrector. Its Ammonia and Peroxide free. It works amazingly well. so gentle on the hair. ITs not bleach. As you hair stylist/beauty supply about it. It smells like rotting pumpkins, but use the Enjoy clarifying spary and the odor will be gone.

~Saphire

Bootyliciousx

oh man i can sooo relate to you i did this last year ...my hair was medium brown i died it jet black ....like an idior...and it took me so many hair dyes to get back to a light color ....and then go to a salon

just go to a hair salon and tell them to die it back to ur normal color ...best way to go trust me ...