studio tech = breakouts?

lvgz

hey everyone. so, i've virtually have never had breakouts. when i did, they were only noticeable to me because they were never red or big, just a lot of bumps. i started using mac's select tint foundation and studio tech in sept and have places with acne now. theyre huge, red, and basically look like acne scars after a while. does any one else have this problem? if so, what are some good products to get rid of this newly founded acne? or maybe foundations that wont cause any breakouts?

sorry if this is in the wrong place. mods, feel free to move it if it is. thanks.

bartp

what was your skin type like before you switched foundations? .. or which foundations did you use before you made the switch?

lvgz

skin type? normal and sometimes dry. i didnt use foundation foundation, only the natural msf before i started using liquid foundation.

redambition

i had a similar issue - when i used studio tech i found i got breakouts.

i don't know exactly if that was due to the studio tech or the skincare i was using at the time - i think it was more my skin reacting rather than acne. i'd have to try again now that i've changed my skincare routine.

for me personally - getting rid of this took some time and effort. i pared back my skincare to a gentle cleanser, a gentle exfoliator and good moisturisers matched to my skin type. it helped my skin settle down.

amoona

Are you using the sponge? Maybe you're allergic to something in Studio Tech. Next time you go to the MAC counter/store ask a MA to check their PKM and see what is in Studio Tech and then see if it's anything that you're allergic to.

bartp

It sounds a bit more severe than just "cosmetic acne" (http://www.article99.com/health-tips...e.php?art=6294)

I would just ban whatever you were using up to now, and see if anything changes. Clean all brushes and throw away sponges, and see how your skin reacts.

with your skin type I wouldn't go for normal anti-acne products because they'll just mess up your skin type. People with normal to dry skin, don't just get acne in such a short period of time. I would get some advice from a dermatologist if you can.

For the occasional irritation and spot I'm now using Aveda's range, because it's so gentle and does seem to work. But I would go for some good advice if I were you. good luck !!!!

ledonatella

I am a liscensed estitichan (who can't spell...) as well as a makeup artist so I can give you a little friendly advice. First off, do consult a dermatologist, my advice is not to get you away from that just to help out until you can because I know around here it can be months before you get an appointment. Second, remember that with the heavier foundations (Studio Tech, Studio fix...) a normal cleanser is not enough to get your skin clear of all the residue. You really need a product like Cleanse Off Oil to get all traces off. I know with me I use my Studio Fix Fluid and I apply it to my hand then dip my foundation brush into that and put it on my face, well when I clean my hand off with my normal cleanser, I can see it's not getting it completely clear, so I knew I needed something extra, try this experiment at home to see how your cleanser is doing. Anyway, I do the Cleanse Off Oil then my normal Aveda cleanser which is gentle on me (not endorsing Aveda it's just what I use since that's who I work for, you are welcome to use what works for you).
If the cleanser isn't the issue, it could be your skin reacting to a new product. I go between MAC Studio Fix Fluid and Aveda's foundation and they have different ingrediants and I will have an initial breakout each time (usually cystic acne which is the deep bumpy red ones), then my skin gets used to it and I'm fine, it takes about 2-3 weeks. For those types of bumps the best things is a salicylic acid spot treatment which will help the red go down and shrink the size of the blemish. And please don't pick at it it truely does so much more harm than good! If you are getting the little white bumps, those are best treated with the spot treatment and a good gentle exfoliator since they are clogged pores.
If that isn't the problem then it could a sensitivity to an ingrediant, in which case you wouldn't have known until you tried it. Again I'm not a doctor but my professional opinion is that if it keeps happening after using it for 3 weeks, change to something else that has the coverage you want with a little lighter ingrediants.

SoSoAmazin

studio tech broke me out too.. I returned it
ssad.gif