Stupid Question Time...

Dr_Girlfriend

When you're in the express lane at Wal-Mart, grocery store, whatever... Do you count each single item or the number of TYPES of items? Let's say you have 5 cans of chicken noodle soup. Do you count that as one item or five?

Stupid question, I know. Just got in a discussion with my mother about it while we were grocery shopping today. Interested to read everyone's thoughts...

InspiredBlue

Number of actual items, since it's about the time it takes to scan the individual items. If you came up with 15 cans each of 5 different types of soup, it wouldn't be much of a speedy transaction.
th_wink3.gif

kaliraksha

I count the number of items... and if I'm off by one or two or if the extra is bulky but easy to scan I use the line. Since it's definitely about making it faster for customers who have less items... I make that my main consideration... does it add considerably more time than the alloted item limit. Though if it's just one item that you have tons of and that's what is keeping you from using the line I would just count them out but keep them in the cart and hand the cashier one but ask her to ring it up X amount of times, so it doesn't add much more time than one item.

Mabelle

actual items. exception; produce that is bagged together. example: 5 tomatoes in a bag would only count as 1 item since you only enter the code once, and need to weigh the bag regardless of how much is in it

LMD84

hee hee! not a stupid question - just a funny one
smiles.gif
i personally count the amount of items rather than classing multiples of one product as just one item
smiles.gif

COBI

The problem is when I was in high school, I would have people come through with "one" item broken into 48 parts. For example, 48 cans of cat food which are individually sku-ed by flavor. So, it's not "one" item.

For me, I honestly consider the currents lines and actually work involved in scanning what I have. For example, if I have 4 gallons of water, only one needs to be scanned to capture all 4.

But if I have multiple sets of items like that, I am not likely to go into the express lane.

Interestingly enough, in many stores, the staff is not allowed to kick you out of line for "quantity" violations. It's usually other customers that are going to call you on it. I've been in stores before where someone with a nearly full carriage uses the express lane because their time is too important to wait in the regular lines. Unlike the rest of us whose lives are so uneventful, we want to wait behind their huge order so we can pay for our two items. :p

And I imagine for a purist that the answer is simple: most receipts have an "item total" displayed clearly somewhere on the receipt, and the numbers don't lie.... that is how many items you had no matter how you justify using the express lane.

Dr_Girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBI
The problem is when I was in high school, I would have people come through with "one" item broken into 48 parts. For example, 48 cans of cat food which are individually sku-ed by flavor. So, it's not "one" item.

For me, I honestly consider the currents lines and actually work involved in scanning what I have. For example, if I have 4 gallons of water, only one needs to be scanned to capture all 4.

But if I have multiple sets of items like that, I am not likely to go into the express lane.

Interestingly enough, in many stores, the staff is not allowed to kick you out of line for "quantity" violations. It's usually other customers that are going to call you on it. I've been in stores before where someone with a nearly full carriage uses the express lane because their time is too important to wait in the regular lines. Unlike the rest of us whose lives are so uneventful, we want to wait behind their huge order so we can pay for our two items. :p

And I imagine for a purist that the answer is simple: most receipts have an "item total" displayed clearly somewhere on the receipt, and the numbers don't lie.... that is how many items you had no matter how you justify using the express lane.

EXACTLY! Defeats the point of "express lane" if it takes forever... Cannot get that through Mom's head. I'll have her read this thread! I know they can't kick you out but it's a courtesy issue. Nobody wants to wait in line for 45 minutes because someone has 100 items and pretends there's only 20. We got in that argument while in line and it's a little embarassing when she does it and I feel like I have to apologize to everyone behind us...

Susanne

In Germany: Definitely number of each single item!

Other customers have a strict look for that
winks.gif

InspiredBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susanne

winks.gif

Ordnung.
winks.gif

blazeno.8

I would assume that it's individual items. Some people do that "same type" of item with the same barcode because you could very easily type x4 on the register without having to scan each one and sometime these items are buy 3 get one 1/2 off. Unfortunately that will be shown in the total item count as being 4 separate items.

Bjarka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susanne

winks.gif

Same goes for Denmark.
And the UK to my current experiences

Latest posts