suing your ex/current employer... anyone ever?

Macnarsandlove

Ok well heres the story I got a crappy job cause I really needed one. Make a long story short I toke one with horrible pay but a manager title that I figured after some time I could move on with. After being in there about a week I realized I was doing a lot of work, staying late, constantly stressed by fellow employees and customers. I didnt want to quit but deep down inside I knew that wasnt going to work. Fast forward 2 weeks someone from corporate said in an email something to the effect "why are so dumb". I then said f*ck it. I wasnt going to be talked to like that and mistreated. I stayed for another week so I could get more in my check before going out with my middle finger waving
tong.gif

So I noticed a few things is those weeks:

-I worked 8 hrs a day, I was given an unpaid break of 20 mins. That probably would have been ok but I never got to take it cause there was no one to cover me. I have been on a 1/2 ass health kick and my slow metabolism is a bitch so I got upset when they said I couldnt eat during my shift. I checked the dept of labor site and they have to pay me for that time. I wanna snitch so bad cause all of the hundreds of employees they have ripped off.

- I worked with only 1 other female and yes i was sexually harassed and i dont have to take it lol (old commercial). I have worked in some male dominated job before but nothing like this. Extremely vulgar stories of weekend activities that would gross me out. You can use ur imagination. It really did make me feel uncomfy. And they were my bosses that were doing it the most.

The thing that is really crappy is low paying dead end jobs treat employees any way they want. Cause for them its safe to assume you need them more than you. Somewhat true but not for me. Ill just get another one lol

So even tho I quit I really wanna sue them. They arent a large company but really poorly ran anyway. So any suggestions or stories of u suing your old company? Any thoughts would help.

Kayteuk

I am in the UK but I nearly took my employer of 2 weeks to court via the Citizens advice.

They worked me without allowing me access to water or food for over 6 hours (Illegal in the UK!). I also got bullied because I wasn't in to "Sleeping around" with men and discussing it, but also I was brand new.... So a easy target for all.

And then the reason I put charges against them was because they kept saying they sent my pay cheque, they never did. And when it did arrive it had the date sent written on it (they sent it 1 day before I recieved it). And also it was for 200 extra. So I knew they were trying to catch me out as a dis honest person. I then took it to my advisor who sorted it all out for me, and also informed authorities about them working me hard, and they also tried to tell me I was wrong for something that never happened. And they also could provide no evidence I did it.

I was working with babies and children for 6 hours 20 at a time with no break. There was also a gross lack of hygiene and I am thinking of reporting them to Ofsted. But its all in the past so I am just going to leave it for a moment...

If you see mis conduct, find a way of reporting it anonymously. Thats my next step.

Needless to say 5 weeks later I FINIALLY get a cheque for the right amount now I have defaulted on a few cards because of them.

User38

I sure hope this country never has a really deep recession or a depression. The rationale of not having a paid break and thus suing a company is very flawed. Granted you may have been taken advantage of to a certain extent but if you did not document your lack of breaks or any other infringing of rights, you would have no case. You were there for a very short time and they just might have a good case about your performance too.. sorry, but in the business world things do not often go as smoothly for employees.

As to your reference for sexual harrassment: if you did not report it immediately and have it well documented, you will be losing your time.

Sorry you went thru this, but it might be best to put it behind you and move on.

Macnarsandlove

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerGreyness
I sure hope this country never has a really deep recession or a depression. The rationale of not having a paid break and thus suing a company is very flawed. Granted you may have been taken advantage of to a certain extent but if you did not document your lack of breaks or any other infringing of rights, you would have no case. You were there for a very short time and they just might have a good case about your performance too.. sorry, but in the business world things do not often go as smoothly for employees.

If you red my post there was no break. In the US it has to be paid if its 20 mins per the DOL. I i just wish i had got paid for it thats the main thing. oh and i have proof of it, lots actually. it just makes me mad when corp get over. not paying anyone that over the years adds up to a lot of money in their pocket. that shit is scummy. karma is a bitch tho an i know they will get theirs even if i dont do anything.

TISH1124

Dept of Labor is normally the best way to go with these type situations...It will also depend on if were a Salary or an hourly employee

User38

your lack of breaks or any other infringing of rights, -- I did RED your post.. and I did say LACK of breaks....

You should sue! If you have documentation, and if you can prove that you were wronged, sue them. I agree absolutely that karma is scummy, and surely karma will get them, those corporate Basturds! Also, I do know how to read
smiles.gif

xxManBeaterxx

Personally, I don't think you have a good case, you may spend more in lawyer fee's than anything else.
ssad.gif
Sorry you had such a crappy experience...

blazeno.8

The thing about not getting paid for a break reminds me of my time at Victoria's Secret (part of the reason why I hate that company). I was threatened with a cut to my paycheck if I took a break. The problem is they're so big they can buy/argue their way out of anything. So no matter how many things went wrong I could do jack about it... except for quit and cuss them out about their bad business practices in front of their customers.

X4biddenxLustX

Welcome to the club of crummy jobs hun. I'm also having some problems at my job.

I would definitely find a new job and complain to the department of labor about this because the way they seem to be treating their employees is horrible. But I agree that I don't think it's worth it to try to sue them considering lawyer's fees, and court fees and what not. Best just to let them department of labor be aware of what is going on, find another job and try to move on =]

Che1zz

yeah.. I work for cash at some restaurant at my university.
I know I've been underpaid on several occasions and one of my coworkers is a huge creep who continuously sexually harasses me. He recently quit (thank god) and I routinely work 8 hour shifts without any breaks. Getting paid under the table definately has some flaws..

COBI

I agree with TISH1127; I would start by filing a complaint with the department of labor. They will investigate and if your information is verifiable, they will bring the company to court/mediation and you will likely have a judgement in your favor without the personal expense of an attorney.

Someone I know often has DOL cases brought against them (that in itself is a whole other story). The investigators do not disclose who filed the claim and look at a broader range than just the individual filing the complaint as they are not just concerned with you individually per se, but with the violations and non-compliance with the law overall. However, as a result, the company has been required to pay restitution as well as fines.

Also, keep in mind, it is often (and likely to be) a very long process. Particularly, if you sue (and find an attorney who believes you have a good case to take on), it is important to decide if you want this to continue to be something in your life (through the suit) or if it is more productive and sanity-ridden to move on or to file a formal complaint with DOL and move on.

In general, unless you find someone who takes your case on a contingency basis (and they won't generally do this unless there is a high probability of a material payout), an attorney is going to cost you anywhere from $200-$500 an hour. If you plan to represent yourself in any claims, then I would refer you back to the previous paragraph.

Latest posts