Taking The Behind Wheel Test On Monday! Help!

charkkatz

So I just turned 16 and I am scheduled to take my test o Monday, April 16th. I reside in California and I wanted to get any last minute tips or tricks for the test. The drivers training instructors say I should have no problem passing and that I drive well, but a lot of my friends had to take it twice. I really want to pass my first time. How many of you passed the first time? Any further advice would be GREAT!! Thanks!!

Raerae

I passed it first time in cali
smiles.gif

Ummm... Wow that was a LONG time ago 9 years now haha...

Only thing I did bad was i bumped my tires on the curb when I had to backup next to the curb...

Look both ways... Check your mirrors... Check your blind spots before making any turnes (even right turns where you KNOW no one is next to you). Look left and right as you appoach intersections, even if you dont have to stop at them. Signals. Complete stops. Etc...

Check your mirrors ;p

Smile
smiles.gif
Have fun. It's really not that hard. I dont even think they make you get on the freeway anymore.

kimmy

i passed my first time.
smiles.gif

always look both ways coming out of a parking lot, stop sign or stop light. and make it obvious that you're looking.

when you get onto a street, don't accelerate too fast (even though you may not be speeding, they'll still mark you down for it.) i got onto a street that had a 40mph limit, and i accelerated to 35 pretty quick to get up to speed with the flow of traffic and was marked down for it, so take it easy there.
winks.gif

make sure you know your car before you take the test. you need to know where your brights, headlights, parking lights, windshield wipers (front and rear), four way blinkers, turn signals, side mirror controls and defrosters are.

oh, and this is kind of a no brainer...but don't flip anyone off.
lol.gif
and don't make any comments about stupid drivers (which in california, you're sure to encounter) because any sign of road rage is an automatic failure. one of my friends failed his driving test because someone cut him off and he flipped the guy the bird. automatic fail.

good luck! let us know how it went when you get back.
greengrin.gif

saniyairshad

• Steer smoothly at all times.
  • Accelerate smoothly. Don't race the engine or make it stall.
  • Stop the vehicle gently. Start braking well ahead of where you must stop to avoid sudden “jerks.” Know where to stop. Be aware of crosswalks. If your view is blocked at a crosswalk, move forward carefully and look both ways at the intersection..
  • Be sure your vehicle is in the correct gear. Don't grind the gears. Don't coast to a stop.
  • Always obey the posted speed limits. If needed, reduce your speed to adjust for existing weather, road, and other traffic conditions. Remember to turn on your lights if you need to use your windshield wipers in poor weather conditions.
  • Follow at a safe distance. Use the three-second rule. Increase your following distance in bad weather or poor visibility.
  • Know what the traffic signals mean and obey them at all times.
  • Always use the proper lane. Turn from the correct lane into the correct lane.
  • Signal for all lane changes and turns.
  • Always look for potential hazards (scan). Check your mirrors frequently. Always look over the proper shoulder before making lane changes or pulling away from the curb.
  • Drive defensively. Anticipate another driver’s errors.

link

charkkatz

^ THANK YOU ALL!! I have like memorized that last list from being on the DMV website SO much haha

amoona

I failed my first time. They make you back up along a curb and my back wheel bumped into the curb and it was an automatic failure. You'll do fine, worse case you just retake it. No biggie, don't stress.

Raerae

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoona
I failed my first time. They make you back up along a curb and my back wheel bumped into the curb and it was an automatic failure. You'll do fine, worse case you just retake it. No biggie, don't stress.

lol I bumped my wheel, but they still passed me lol. Guess my test guy was nicer than yours heh.

MAC_Whore

Urgh! I had to practice with my father every day for like 5 months! The driving test was less stressful than that!
lol.gif

Good luck, hon. Just relax and stay focused. Nerves sometimes take our focus away and that is when we forget to do something. Breath deep and be thankful my father isn't giving you the test!
lol.gif

charkkatz

I PASSED. getting my license has been the most liberating (yet somewhat restricted!) thing in my life. I can actually have my own schedule and do things as they are convenient for me instead of waiting around for others! AHHH

Raerae

Quote:
Originally Posted by charkkatz
I PASSED. getting my license has been the most liberating (yet somewhat restricted!) thing in my life. I can actually have my own schedule and do things as they are convenient for me instead of waiting around for others! AHHH

lol congrats!

Now you get to join the rest of us crying at the gas station.