Tattoos and piercings?

sharyn

When working in retail, which companies allow you to keep your piercings and dont care about your tattoos and which are more strickt and maybe wouldnt even hire you just because of it? Is there a difference between working directly at MAC (eg. Prostore) vs. counter in a department store?

I'm just wondering because I can imagine some old lady walking in and asking for some Spice Lipliner, taking a look at my (not yet!!)tattooed forearms and assuming I'm some wicked drug addict
lol.gif

What are your personal experiences? I wanna know everything!!!

Thank you so much!!
bouquet.gif

ms.marymac

I have had a few customers look down on me, or not want me to help them because of my tattoos...maybe they were scared they would rub off, lol. From my experience, most everyone (tattoos or not) is going to have someone avoid them for one reason or another. I think it also depends on the area you are in too. A more conservative area means more people staring at your arms and not hearing how great Spice lipliner is
lol.gif
(At least from my experience).

As far as other companies go, I am not sure which ones frown on it...I would imagine that the more consevative ones might want you to cover if you had sleeves, but that may not be the case. If you were allowed to show them, you might be saying, "Yes, they are real." all day depending on the customer base.
lol.gif

Bernadette

When I worked for Clinique they had it listed in their little book that you should only wear one pair of earring in your ear-lobes. You were also supposed to wear knee-length skirts and high-collared shirts. You are expected to wear the smock at all times (even if you are about to sweat all over a customer, yummy!) so that covers up any work on arms.
The Nordstrom where I worked required that tattoos be covered up. If someone had a little butterfly on their ankle or something they didn't care. They weren't into the dagger dripping blood on my arm though
rofl.gif
!
I think it depends on the main store manager though because I freelanced at a different Nordstrom recently and wore a lon-sleeve top to cover up and then found out that you are allowed to show tattoos at that one. Then I know another one further north in SD doesn't allow it.
I think most MAC locations support that edgey look and you can push it with hair most anywhere but then depending on the department store the tattoo thing comes into play. I would think Saks and Bloomingdales might not be okay with that tatoos either.
I think that a lot of other lines wouldn't be okay with heavy tattoos either and that it really varies from location to location and depending on the manager.

Yay tattoos, I'm going to talk to my guy about getting a new one within the week :dance:

amoona

I work at a MAC Bloomingdales location and we follow MAC dress code. Anything goes. The only thing I would think they'd have a problem with is a big "fuck" written on you haha.

Other companies follow the department store dress code so it depends on the department store I guess.

maxcat

The dept store counters have much stricter dress codes for mac ma's... we had quite a few that the stores didn't have to deal with.
That said, we're a pretty inked and pierced little bunch of coconuts at my counter...

Bernadette

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms.marymac
What's funny is I think I've seen someone with that tattoo, amoona!
lol.gif

I saw a guy inside of wal-mart with fuck over one eyebrow and you over the other. He was also buying a mini torch, pretty sure he wasn't using it to make creme brulee.

stephbunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernadette
I saw a guy inside of wal-mart with fuck over one eyebrow and you over the other. He was also buying a mini torch, pretty sure he wasn't using it to make creme brulee.

haha. that's hilarious Bernadette! your posts are always so well written and funny. you seem like an awesome girl to hang out with. =P