technique classes.

ductapemyheartt

i just went to a technique class today at macy's in nashville, tennessee. it was quite interesting and given by their trainer, laura. apparently it was a 'natural beauty' class....and most of the women there were in the 37-40 range...it was a bit awkward, but enjoyable. i got to chat it up with laura at the end, who is an amazing woman, by the way...and she has heard of specktra. :]

ps. she told me that the brushes we normally buy at mac are hand assembled as opposed to the holiday brush collections. she said that she uses them as travel brushes, but if you want a brush to use every day definitely buy a mac brush and not one that comes in a whole kit.

anyone else been to a technique class before?
what did you think?
do they offer any others...like for more dramatic looks or anything?

JoeyEmma

I would love a technique class! I would love to have somebody show me how to use the makeup that I already have. I keep thinking about booking a makeover, but they put the makeup on you, not show you how to do it. I'd love to have somebody show me on one eye and for me to be guided through doing the other eye myself. Also, I have loads of makeup and want to learn how to use what I already have, not be shown how to use colours and products that I don't have.

thelove4tequila

I have recently received invitations for classes such as this. But unfortunatly haven't been able to attend as of yet. Hopefully soon.

ductapemyheartt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyEmma
I would love a technique class! I would love to have somebody show me how to use the makeup that I already have. I keep thinking about booking a makeover, but they put the makeup on you, not show you how to do it. I'd love to have somebody show me on one eye and for me to be guided through doing the other eye myself. Also, I have loads of makeup and want to learn how to use what I already have, not be shown how to use colours and products that I don't have.

they would be happy to teach you how if you book a makeover....just tell them to tell you which products theya re using and why.

Keysten

Where did you find out about this class? I would like to see if there are any in my area.

shadowaddict

Hi, I'm in the Nashville area, too how did you find out about this class? I've only read about them on here in other places. I didn't know they did these here. Thanks

sitasati

Quote:
Originally Posted by ductapemyheartt

ps. she told me that the brushes we normally buy at mac are hand assembled as opposed to the holiday brush collections. she said that she uses them as travel brushes, but if you want a brush to use every day definitely buy a mac brush and not one that comes in a whole kit.

That's weird. I've emailed MAC about this and they replied to me saying that all of their brushes are made with the same quality. I have to agree with the email because I still have my brush set ..and it goes through a lot of abuse
smiles.gif

Katura

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyEmma

Go and get a Demo! When I do demos, I usually do one side of the face, and show them how I'm doing each step and have them go therough each step on the other side. That way the customer always has an idea of where to start when they get home and I can't help them or cant ask questions. Just let them know you want to learn!

glittergoddess27

Our local MAC frrestanding is doing "workshops" now too,.. they did the first one on Sunday,.. it appears that they just invited people as they came in the store,.. it was a trial run. It was cool,.. on Smokey eyes,..

ductapemyheartt

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowaddict
Hi, I'm in the Nashville area, too how did you find out about this class? I've only read about them on here in other places. I didn't know they did these here. Thanks

well, i go to the counter in rivergate at least three times a week and there is a new macy's counter in green hills, which is where i go twice a week....i know, right.

i am also friends with a few of the ma's on myspace, so i suppose it is just word of mouth....next time i hear of one, i will be sure to post a thread to let all of you nashvillians know.

this is the first one they have ever had though...

JoeyEmma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katura
Go and get a Demo! When I do demos, I usually do one side of the face, and show them how I'm doing each step and have them go therough each step on the other side. That way the customer always has an idea of where to start when they get home and I can't help them or cant ask questions. Just let them know you want to learn!

I should do, however, haven't had much luck finding friendly MA. The MAC counters we have are in big expensive department stores (Harvey Nicks and Selfridges) as I am in Manchester, UK. The last time I actually asked a MA for help I found that she was really pushy, trying to force me to buy the latest collection (Moonbathe) and got really annoyed with me when I said that I didn't like the colours she had chosen for me. I ended up buying a shadow that I didn't like and was annoyed with myself for not being firm and saying I didn't like it.

Clada

i just went to one today, and we had Laura too!
She was fantastic, and sooo funny!
Our class was one of three, and the smallest (less than twenty) and we had snacks and laughed and had a wonderful time.
While I learned a few things I didn't already know, the Manager told us that this should be one of many classes. This one was Natural Beauty, so I am guessing that others will be more "Editorial" looks (as they called it).
I highly recommend going if you get the chance!

nytransp

I was going to take one yesterday in Los Angeles, several of us ended up asking for our money back. First off they started 1/2 hour late after calling everyone and telling them to get there early so that annoyed a few of us. Then it was apparently misrepresentated, the last class I took with MAC we had our own brushes and makeup and each of us got to apply the makeup along with the demonstrator. It was SO fun! I signed up again and asked if it was the same thing, they said yes so I signed up thinking it was the same thing, it was just a demonstration. Three others were also misinformed and asked for a refund. I'd rather have a MAC artist work on me personally and have them teach me how to do my face, that's worth my $50.00, not watching a demo.