Teens 'sexting' sending nude pics...

Status
Not open for further replies.

revinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by OfficerJenny
I wasn't saying being pregnant is admirable, I was saying that the girls who go through the pregnancy and have their children throughout all of the ridicule, stereotypes, and reputation bashing are admirable.

Not to mention the fact that they give up their independence, education, social life.. If that's not taking responsibility for your mistakes, I don't know what is.

nanefy

Quote:
Originally Posted by OfficerJenny
I wasn't saying being pregnant is admirable, I was saying that the girls who go through the pregnancy and have their children throughout all of the ridicule, stereotypes, and reputation bashing are admirable.

Oh, I know I'm not safe on the internet as a whole, but on that specific website I am completely safe.

That comment wasn't directed at you, just at the situation in general.

I have plenty of respect for people who deserve it, but if you think just because someone's older than me they deserve extra respect, you're wrong.

Okey Dokey, (1) Did I say that adults deserve EXTRA respect? Can you quote me on that? They do however deserve respect, because if it wasnt for your elders, you would not have role models and we would be in an even worse state than we are already.
(2) Your comment about that 'totally secure site' is an impossibility. There is NO safe site. For every genius out there that creates a security measure, there is also a genius who can figure out how to crack it, so I wouldn't go around thinking that you are completely safe.

Also can I just say if you want an indication on peoples thoughts about under age pregnancy and the attitudes of teenagers today in contrast to the teenagers in different era's just have a gander at the post called 'Father at 13' - its in the Deep Thoughts section just like this. You will find that I am not alone in my perceptions.

cupcake_x

Nanefy, I'll discuss this with you further if you want to make a separate thread.

This thread got waaaay off-topic.

nanefy

Well I just spent about 20 minutes writing a response there and my internet connection dropped and I lost it, so feck it. Im not writing it again. :-(

iadoremac

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanefy
I don't think its admirable at all. Donating to charity is admirable, standing up for yourself against all odds is admirable, respecting yourself is admirable, posting naked pictures of yourself online at the age of 15 is disgusting.

Too many adults these days keep their mouths shut in an effort to keep the peace or to not get involved. That's whats wrong with children these days, there is no respect for authority and kids think that they can just do whatever pleases them regardless of the consequences. I'm not going to apologise for anything I have said, because I think its ridiculous that any adult should encourage such behaviour.

I realise that my opinions may not be to everyones taste, but when you weigh up the consequences, they do make sense. Teenage pregnancies are on the increase, as are teenage STI's. We are also living in a society where its easy for pedophiles to gain access to content like this. I can assure you if I had been doing this when I was 15 and my parents had found out, they would have been appalled and I can say in no uncertain terms I would have been severley punished for it.

I am astounded that I seem to be the only person on here who thinks like this. Either I am the only one with these views, or people are too scared to voice their opinions.

God, we have people posting topics about animal cruelty and everyone jumps to defend it, but when we start talking about the welfare of the next generation, everyone is silent. Where are everyone's priorities?

Let me just say you took the words right out of my mouth. I agree with you 100%.
I think these teens are being short sited.........what if you want to run for a political position in the future or you become a celebrity such things have the potential to damage ones future

Shadowy Lady

Brooke, this topic for your research sounds very interesting. I would love to see the result when you're done (if possible).

Anyway, I thought I share my two cents here as my husband and I were discussing something very similar yesterday that reminded me of this thread. I'm not a psychologist or anything, this is just based on observation. I think there are two reasons for teens these days to be what I call “overly sexual”. First is that in our teens, we feel invincible. As a result, we tend to not want to take advice (ironically, that’s when we most need it) and as a result try to push the envelop thinking we can get away with “anything”. We get a rush when we do get away with stuff. I’m 27 now and have passed that stage a long time ago, but I’m sure I was feeling invincible too. I didn’t take nude pics of myself, do drugs or get myself pregnant or anything; that would have been letting the invincibility get to extreme. The second reason IMO is that the world today (and by that I mean mostly North America) has become a big popularity contest. Ppl feel best when say they have 800 friends on Facebook or their friends admire them coz they’re comfortable with their bodies. Adults tend to want to be popular as well, but naturally when you’re younger, your self esteem is lower and the outside popularity helps fill the gap. I don’t think high self esteem is only physical. You are not a strong woman because you are comfortable being naked or you are willing to go through with teen pregnancy. This is just the face of things, high self esteem goes a lot deeper than that. When you are a teenager, you just haven’t lived enough to be at that stage as self esteem IMO is gained through time.

Anyway, I agree with Nanefy mostly except I'm more optimistic about the situation. I agree that some teenagers now are more rebellious and have less respect for the figures of authorities. However, I think the one they are still in minority. Parenting is very important in how kids turn into teenagers and from that into adults. I’m an optimistic so I think most parents are good parents and hence their kids will be good kids.

Sorry for the rambling and good luck Brooke
smiles.gif

BEA2LS

^^ I agree, i am so so glad I did not have facebook or myspace when i was in high school! it got out of hand in college, high school would have been horrible with it!
I am 26 and I have to admit that the younger generation does shock me sometimes. i had a wild streak in me and i did stupid things when i was younger but it seems tame compared to the stuff i hear about! i'm not saying all the kids are bad or they are going to grow up the be horrible people, because i do not think that at all. i do think it's sad though, they do not know what they've missed by growing up too fast.. i really mean that.

iadoremac

I think the reason why we have issues with teens today is because parents dont have enough influence or parents tend to treat teenagers who are kids as if they are adults. I think that youth is very precious and teenagers are in such a hurry to grow up that they do all sorts. And the thing is you spend most of your life being an adult so teens should cherish their child hood and the fact that they are young, its ok to have a low self esteem as a teenager as long as you do the right things and there is absolutely nothing wrong with being unpopular, if people would like you they would like you for you and not because you have x amount of nude pics online..........is that really what you want to be known for because whether you like it or not people would always remember you for that.
A well lived life is not judged by how popular you were in high school so why go to extreme lengths to be popular but rather what you do in adulthood. So my advice is slow down because at the end of the day you would find that all this time and effort spent sexting or whatever it is you guys do today is not worth it

Status
Not open for further replies.