the art of the crease, and convince me to keep stars n rockets

cutandrun

Ok, so I have several questions and need recs too. I'm really just getting into makeup and I always hear stuff about defining your crease. I have asian eyes, but they are double lidded (the lid is very small though), and I do have a crease. I'm really confused because I don't understand what colour you would use as a crease colour. I know if you want to define it you have to put a darker colour in your crease, but on MUA I read someone's post about what crease colour to use for goldenaire, and there were tons of suggestions from nocturnelle to coco??? How do you know what colour to put in your crease??

Secondly do you guys put your crease colour first? Cos I find if I do it second it washes my lid colour out?

Ok, also have a qn about stars n rockets. This has zero pigmentation on me unless i use a shadestick, when I put it over a black base, it just looks like I have a black eye. Am considering selling it. I'm NC20, black hair, dark brown eyes (eye shape described above). Would be really great if I could get a detailed description of what I could use it with, and on which areas of the eye. Thanks, sorry I know it's a lot of qns, but u guys seem really helpful
smiles.gif

BlahWah

Asian girl here who envies your crease! I've got a half-crease, it's driving me crazy to figure out how to work w/ it. Anyway, there was a previous thread about doing the crease first, last or whenever, but it's more about what you feel comfortable w/. I usually put it on first b/c I've ruined my looks by making it a bit too dark afterward.

As for what colour to use, I'm just getting into working my crease so I can't say much more than what you know. Hopefully someone else can help you out w/ that and Stars 'n' Rockets!

Here's the thread:
http://specktra.net/forum/showthread.php?t=37148

HTH!

*edit* Re: SnR, do you use a primer on your lids? That might help as well, or maybe packing it on w/ a denser brush?

serendipityii

I love Stars 'n Rockets!!! The duochrome is so pretty, hehe. I use Urban Decay Primer Potion (color stays on forever!) and I usually pack my color on with a 239 (I think that's the number but I can't get on to check). Also, try using Smolder eyekohl then laying SnR over it. You get a pretty color. =) HTH.

Tonitra

Stars N Rockets-I bought this a few days ago and initially was a little disappointed as it didn't seem as pigmented as I wanted it to be, but I messed around with it this morning and have decided that I rather like it. Albeit I do have to pack quite a bit on. For a base I'm using bare canvas and it seems to be working quite well. Currently I'm wearing it with Freshwater and a little bit of Beautiful Iris to make the two blend together easier (haha, yes I an one colourful girl today).

cutandrun

Thanks everyone, does anyone else know about the whole colour in the crease thing? Like, how you know what colour you're meant to put in your crease? I'm going to put my crease colour first now, think that will make things easier
smiles.gif

GreekChick

You shouldnt follow rules when it comes to applying color, you could very well apply a lighter color in the crease than the color of the lid area and vice versa. Lets say for example you apply a gold color on the lid ( for example Goldmine) and you're looking to define your crease with a complementary color, you could take a pick fromt the colors in the purple family (Nocturnelle), from the green family (Greensmoke), etc
etc...I agree that for asian lids it is sometimes difficult to create the effect of a crease but my suggestion would be to take a fluffy brush or a pencil brush, to locate your crease area, and to apply the color in a circular windshield motion, and at the same time blending it up so that it covers at least 1/3 of your browbone (if that made any sense lol)..this way you still have a defined crease when you close your eyes, but it isnt entirely invisible when your eyes are open..the color still shows..
For Stars and Rockets, omg this color is so unique and beautiful! have you tried applying it on top of Crimsonaire Shadestick? This works wonders for pinks. I alos use it as a base for Parfait Amour, it really makes the pink sheen from this eyeshadow stand out. If this doesnt work for you, I strongly suggest a Cream Color Base, but if you have a problem with the CCB's creasing, I strongly suggest you apply just a super teensy amount on the lid area, trying to avoid the crease..
I hope this helped! Good Luck with the crease and stars n'rockets

cutandrun

Thanks GreekChick, I haven't thought of using crimsonaire shadestick, or a CCB. And your advice about the crease really makes sense, I think I know what to do now
smiles.gif

jinsy

Thank God for Specktra!
th_worship.gif
Now I wonder if I should really keep my SNR. I wish I'd come here first before I bought it. I was ranting to someone how come it's so unlike my other VP Leisuretime. Should I be forewarned of the others??

About the crease. I always do this last. I'm Asian and am quite happy with my crease. It ends almost all the way to the outermost corner of my eye. With age, it deepens too. I didn't always know what colour to use, actually. I found myself always going back to Expensive Pink as the one colour to pull together the whole look or to bring out the other colours. It's a warmish colour which can go with both cool and warm tones esp pinks and corals. I apply it in and above the crease all the way - one whole strip.

Hope I made sense!

cutandrun

Hey jinsy do you ever find putting colour in your crease last sort of 'overtakes' the colour on your lid? I find that happens to me often. What do you use SNR with, out of interest?

asnbrb

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlahWah
Asian girl here who envies your crease! I've got a half-crease, it's driving me crazy to figure out how to work w/ it.

hahahahahahahaha!!

at least you got half a crease!! I don't have ANY!! I'm creaseless!

saucipinkbabydoll

try gracious me shadestick under stars and rockets ...and a really pretty color combo with stars and rockets is this

1) gracious me shadestick all over lid as a base
2)sushiflower in inner half of the lid
3)stars and rockets on outer half of the lid (you may switch 2 and 3 if you want)
4)love bud in crease take it a little higher (you and I both have asian eyes with a little bit of the double eyelid thing)I'm not sure if I also used coral e/s to define it a little more...
5) to line the eyes you can use either nocturnelle, hepcat/ or shadowylady and then bring it up to the outer v for definition
6) if you want you can use pink opal pigment as a highlight

hope this helps I did this look for one of the days of our culturebloom event and I recieved many compliments! (= I wish I could do a tutorial for ya, but I lost my digital camera )=

cutandrun

Yay that's some really good advice there! I can really see the combinations working, think they'll all look really hot
winks.gif
saucipinkbabydoll I wish you could do a tutorial for me too! It's not very often that I encounter another asian with the same type of eyes as I mine, for some reason, most of the asians I've met have single, creaseless eyes. When you find your digital camera, post some FOTDs or a tutorial, that would be great, thanks
greengrin.gif

Kristen

I have a double lid too. I usually do a wash, lid colour, crease and then redefine the lid a bit. I use the 224 brush to blend the crease colour in and then the 219 to define it. I find with my eyes, if I don't use the 219 afterwards.. it all just looks muddy. As for a crease colour.. I usually go for a darker colour to make my crease seem a bit deeper. I usually reach for Too Faced's Dirt Bag.

Chelly

try a basic skintone paint or even a primer first or if u want a brighter color then go for the shadestick i forget which one but it was mentioned again

when it comes to which i do first (creas vs. lid) i do lid first then crease then i go back to lid again - i mess around and just try to make it look nice lol
smiles.gif

Chelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutandrun
Thanks Chelly! Do u have stars n rockets? What do u use with it?

well originally when i bought stars n rockets i was under the imperession that it was going to be a really deep purple but in my opinion its the love child of purple and pink. in the past i've used it with fuschia pigment but you can also use it with beautiful iris and parfait armour as a contrast to the deep purples i guess - i just screw around with it and if it comes out nice then yay and if not i just keep messing around lol. sometimes my eyes have like 7 diff colors on them before i find whats right lol i hope that helped a bit
smiles.gif

NutMeg

Haha, I'm not asian but I have the whole no crease thing going on. It's kind of weird, but I didn't even notice until I started doing makeup, but I honestly have asian eyes. So unless someone in my family somewhere fooled around (no asian relatives that I know of), I'm just the product of aliens messing around with genetics. Lol.

cutandrun

Lol thanks chelly, I think I'll have to mess around a gazilllion times to see what's right for me as well. Nutmeg, I've seen people who aren't asian, who don't have a crease either! I think the aliens are probably having lots of fun experimenting huh? lol...
greengrin.gif

Latest posts