The best weight loss advice ever!

Indian Barbie

CREDITS GO SOLELY TO BuffedWildCat - Body Solutions Personal Trainer FROM BODYBUILDING.COM FORUM.

This is the best advice I've ever had, I've lost 34lbs in the past 5 months just following her advice loosely.

NUTRITIONAL GUIDELINES FOR REDUCING BODY FAT

1. Eat every 2-3 hours, balanced meals of protein, carbohydrates, and fat. Exception: you don't necessarily have to eat carbohydrates with your last meal or two of the day, you CAN just eat protein and fat. Unless it's post workout (post strength training), then you NEED to eat some carbs.

2. Try to keep the protein intake in each of your meals consistent. If you are resistance/strength training, eat a minimum of your bodyweight in grams of protein, divided up equally into each of your meals.

3. Don't be afraid of fat, you NEED fat in order to BURN fat. You need to turn your body into a fat burning machine. In order to do this, you keep your carbs fairly low (30-40 grams per meal is a good rule of thumb, but it does depend on your activity level) and your fat intake moderate. As in, the lower your carbs, the more fat you should be consuming.

4. Avoid sugars and over-processed foods like the plague. Read your labels, avoid food with sugar listed in the ingredients.

5. Avoid processed foods, like those in boxes/packages and also anything made with white flour. White flour is over-processed. Also anything that says, "enriched" avoid it as well, it basically means over-processed.

6. Eat as close to nature as you can. In other words, the closer the food to how it occurs in nature, the better for you it is, and ESPECIALLY for fat burning.

7. Avoid starchy carbs like corn, bread (esp white bread), pasta.

8. For your last meal or two of the day, consume only green veggies for your carbohydrates. Generally for your last meal you should consume less carbohydrates and more fat. You basically taper off your carbohydrate intake as it gets later in the day.

9. Last but not least, do NOT cut your calories too low. For starters I wouldn't even drop ANY calories. I would eat maintenance calories (eat normally) and just focus on cleaning up your diet (get rid of drinking sodas, etc) and getting consistent with a good macronutrient ratio (protein, carbs, fat). Some examples of good cutting ratios (percentage of total calories) are: 40P/30C/30F, 40P/25C/35F, 40P/20C/40F, or 35P/35C/30F etc.

10. A good website (free) to help you keep track of your calories, protein, carbs, and fat is: FitDay - Free Weight Loss and Diet Journal

Here are some good choices for foods to eat, conducive to burning fat and/or staying lean. If the food you are eating is not on this list, I would question it.

PROTEINS

Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breast
Tuna (water packed)
Fish (salmon, seabass, halibut)
Shrimp
Extra Lean Ground Beef or Ground Round (92-96%)
Venison
Buffalo
Ostrich
Protein Powder
Egg Whites or Whole Eggs
Ribeye Steaks or Roast
Top Round Steaks or Roast (aka Stew Meat, London Broil, Stir Fry)
Top Sirloin (aka Sirloin Top Butt)
Beef Tenderloin (aka Filet, Filet Mignon)
Top Loin (NY Strip Steak)
Flank Steak (Sir Fry, Fajita)
Eye of Round (Cube Meat, Stew Meat, Bottom Round , 96% LeandGround Round)
Ground turkey, Turkey Breast Slices or cutlets (fresh meat, not deli cuts)
Soy Burgers
Low-fat cottage cheese

SLOW BURNING/COMPLEX CARBS

Oatmeal (Old Fashioned or Quick Oats)
Sweet Potatoes (Yams)
Beans (pinto, black, kidney)
Oat Bran Cereal
Rye Cereal
Grape Nuts
Brown Rice
Farina (Cream of Wheat)
Multigrain Hot Cereal
Whole wheat or Spinach Pasta
100% Stoneground Whole Wheat Bread

FIBROUS CARBS

Green Leafy Lettuce (Green Leaf, Red, Leaf, Romaine)
Broccoli
Asparagus
String Beans
Okra
Spinach
Bell Peppers
Brussel Sprouts
Cauliflower
Cabbage
Celery
Cucumber
Eggplant
Green or Red Pepper
Onions
Pumpkin
Garlic
Tomatoes
Zucchini

FRUIT

Apples
Grapefruit
Peaches
Strawberries
Blueberries
Raspberries
Lemons or Limes

HEALTHY FATS

Natural Peanut Butter
Olive Oil or Safflower Oil
Nuts (peanuts, almonds)
Flaxseed Oil

BEVARAGES

Crystal Light
Green Tea
Other Tea (without sugar)
Coffee (without sugar)

CONDIMENTS

Mayonnaise
Reduced Sodium Soy Sauce
Reduced Sodium Teriyaki Sauce
Balsamic Vinegar
Salsa
Hot Peppers and Hot Sauce
Chili powder
Mrs. Dash
Steak Sauce
Sugar Free Maple Syrup
Chili Paste
Mustard
Extracts (vanilla, almond, etc )
Low Sodium beef or chicken broth
Plain or reduced sodium tomatoes sauce, puree, paste)
Stevia (natural sweetener)

Indian Barbie

GENERAL TRAINING GUIDELINES FOR BEGINNERS

1. Always start with big the muscle groups first. For example, always do chest before triceps and shoulders, always do back before biceps.

2.Work each body part once per week with the exception of abs and calves, you can work them 2- 3 times per week if you'd like.

3.Allow at least 48 hours before you work the same muscle group again. Never train a sore muscle.

4. For big muscle groups (like chest, back, legs), I recommend 3-4 exercises per muscle group and 3-4 sets per exercise. But use your best judgement, if it’s too much then cut back until your training level increases.

5. For smaller muscle groups, I recommend 2-3 exercises per part, 2-3 sets per exercise as these groups are also worked when you exercise the big muscle groups. Just remember, MORE is NOT always better.

6. Pick a weight in which the last rep or two are VERY hard, on the last set you can even go to failure if you’re up to it, (once you get some experience under your belt) meaning you cannot physically perform another rep, you try and you fail. For rep range I recommend working in the 8-12 rep range. So reps 11 & 12 should be VERY hard to perform, you should not be able to get more reps out past 12. Now, for beginners who have little to no knowledge of proper form, I recommend you work closer to the 15 rep range until you master proper form to avoid injury.

7. Take 1-3 minutes rest between each set of 8-12 reps. Generally, the heavier you lift, the more rest time you should allow between sets. If you are lifting in the 11-15 rep range, you can take as little as 30 seconds rest.

8. Make up your training split based on how many days per week you can go to the gym and how long you want to spend there. Personally, I wouldn't try to do more than 2 body parts per session if you can help it. Reason is cause it's very difficult to maintain your intensity/energy for more than two body parts. If you are really giving it all you got, you will most likely find it quite difficult to still have the energy to train that third body part, especially if you are a beginner.

9.Never do cardio before lifting weights, ALWAYS do cardio AFTER weight training and PREFERABLY on a separate day altogether.

10. Don't overdo it on the cardio, cardio is WAY overrated in terms of burning fat. DIET and weight training (muscle) is what's gonna burn the fat for you. For starters, I'd only do cardio twice a week for no more than 30 min. I recommend high intensity interval training if you're up to it. If you are pretty out of shape then obviously your “high†intensity interval will not be as high as someone who is already conditioned.

EXAMPLE OF A TRAINING SPLIT

Monday - back & abs
Tuesday - chest & shoulders
Wednesday - cardio
Thursday - legs, calves
Friday - arms
Saturday - off
Sunday - cardio

Note: Please check with your doctor before beginning any exercise program. Also, please realize that this is not the ONLY way to train especially depending on your fitness goals. In any case, I hope this helps you and good luck achieving your goals!

CREDITS GO SOLELY TO BuffedWildCat - Body Solutions Personal Trainer FROM BODYBUILDING.COM FORUM.

MACLovin

These are awesome tips.. I gotta bump this thread!

I definitely feel like a fat-ass after Thanksgiving yesterday, lol... I have to get my butt back into shape, and I'm gonna print this up and reference it every day!

Thanks and congrats on your weight loss, thats awesome!
greengrin.gif
greengrin.gif

supastar99

wow you're right this is the best advice. it's good to know you can still loose weight without having to eat less thanks heaps

User35

ARRRRRG! this is sooo frustrating!!! This is all fine and dandy, great weight loss tips but I have absolutely no clue of how to fit that into MY lifestyle. I work 16 hours a day. Usually through the night. I dont have time to sleep let alone go to the store and cook a bunch of health food .

p.s. not being able to cook doesnt help either lol.

NutMeg

Then I guess you have to ask yourself what you want your priorities to be. By that I certainly don't intend to question your choices, but as you put it, if you work 16 hours a day you can't have a healthy lifestyle. You have to decide if the income/benefit/whatever that you get from your job(s) are worth your health.

User35

Well I guess my career has never been safe or promote a healthy lifestyle due to the hours and danger. But it is my passion and I could never do anything else. I guess Specktra isnt the place I should get health advice, it doesnt really fit me. Policelink would suit me better.

It is good advice though for people with time on their hands to do that stuff.

Indian Barbie

prepacked chicken breast and cans of tuna are what get me through the day at work. i hardly ever have to cook my food
greengrin.gif

florabundance

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatalieR429
ARRRRRG! this is sooo frustrating!!! This is all fine and dandy, great weight loss tips but I have absolutely no clue of how to fit that into MY lifestyle. I work 16 hours a day. Usually through the night. I dont have time to sleep let alone go to the store and cook a bunch of health food .

p.s. not being able to cook doesnt help either lol.

You can buy prepackaged health food/snacks.
Oatcakes, ricecakes, vegetables, hummus, salads, tuna, salmon.
Low cal bread. Pastas. Baked potatos.
Granola bars. Healthy cereal.

There are many options if you're willing to seek them out
smiles.gif

MelodyAngel

I am wondering how to determine the correct number of calories to consume daily to lose weight at a reasonable rate. My height is 5' 9" and current weight is 180. I'd like to lose 30-35 lbs.
yes.gif

Indian Barbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelodyAngel
I am wondering how to determine the correct number of calories to consume daily to lose weight at a reasonable rate. My height is 5' 9" and current weight is 180. I'd like to lose 30-35 lbs.
yes.gif

FitDay - Free Weight Loss and Diet Journal is an awesome weightloss diary. It tells you exactly how many calories you need to loose weight. Try it out!

Latest posts