The best weight loss advice ever!

Indian Barbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaspergirl
i love bodybuilding.com....they have a lot of cool stuff and tips...so awesome...its very motivating as well when you see some of the girls bodies on there! makes me want to exercise immediately! LOL
th_LMAO.gif

Yep its a wonderful resource for fat loss. Bodybuilders work very hard to gain muscle as well as lose FAT. Because they need to shift that fat to be able to give then muscle definition.

Indian Barbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby_Woo
I think more than anything, people need to realize that ALL diets fail. Its a lifestyle change. Once you go back to eating the same, you will gain the same weight back.

THIS x Infinity!

ginger9

Indian Barbie I just want to thank you so much for your post, I printed it out and I've been on a fitness routine for probably 8 weeks now. I am 5"4 and at my heaviest was at 137lbs. I dropped to 132lbs fairly fast (just from changing to a healthy diet and exercising again) I still have a ways to go. I don't want to get super skinny but I still have a big belly going since I literally sit all day at work and my weight gain retains in the stomach. I find that I have plateaued at 132lbs. I honestly don't think I can alter my diet a whole lot more.

Any suggestions as to where I can get some ideas on how to improve my workout routine? As in ideas on what kind of specific exercises to do? Also I do rest every other day. Reason being my workouts are pretty intense, usually at least 2 to 2.5 hours each visit. I do both weights and cardio. I was thinking of going for brisk walks during my off days. Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks!

Indian Barbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger9
Indian Barbie I just want to thank you so much for your post, I printed it out and I've been on a fitness routine for probably 8 weeks now. I am 5"4 and at my heaviest was at 137lbs. I dropped to 132lbs fairly fast (just from changing to a healthy diet and exercising again) I still have a ways to go. I don't want to get super skinny but I still have a big belly going since I literally sit all day at work and my weight gain retains in the stomach. I find that I have plateaued at 132lbs. I honestly don't think I can alter my diet a whole lot more.

Any suggestions as to where I can get some ideas on how to improve my workout routine? As in ideas on what kind of specific exercises to do? Also I do rest every other day. Reason being my workouts are pretty intense, usually at least 2 to 2.5 hours each visit. I do both weights and cardio. I was thinking of going for brisk walks during my off days. Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks!

I'm a forum member of Bodybuilding.com, in the female section of the forum there are so many great articles for fat loss.

One issue is that people often do too much at once, find it difficult to cope with and then give up after a while. Especially when you only weigh what you do now, you will get frustrated that results won't come as fast as you would like.

You need to make a conscious decision whether you want to be fit and healthy NOW or fit and healthy FOREVER. If its the latter (and it should be), you should take small steps and gradually change your lifestyle. This is something you have to do for the rest of your life if you want to look and feel great.

In terms of exercise, always do weights before cardio. You also need to work different muscle groups each day. When you are weight training your legs, do not do cardio - the day after training legs should ideally be your rest day to help you recover. They say you don't need to do more than 30-40 minutes on intense cardio.

For better advice, I would need more information on your diet, because that is THE MOST important factor in fat loss.

ginger9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian Barbie
I'm a forum member of Bodybuilding.com, in the female section of the forum there are so many great articles for fat loss.

One issue is that people often do too much at once, find it difficult to cope with and then give up after a while. Especially when you only weigh what you do now, you will get frustrated that results won't come as fast as you would like.

You need to make a conscious decision whether you want to be fit and healthy NOW or fit and healthy FOREVER. If its the latter (and it should be), you should take small steps and gradually change your lifestyle. This is something you have to do for the rest of your life if you want to look and feel great.

In terms of exercise, always do weights before cardio. You also need to work different muscle groups each day. When you are weight training your legs, do not do cardio - the day after training legs should ideally be your rest day to help you recover. They say you don't need to do more than 30-40 minutes on intense cardio.

For better advice, I would need more information on your diet, because that is THE MOST important factor in fat loss.

Great thank you so much for your reponse
smiles.gif

I definitely want to be healthy forever. I have been able to maintain great shape/health in the past. Often times it's for a good year or two. But I have had issues with depression, and when that hits me, I shut down by not exercising and I engage in emotional eating. I'm definitely not complaining because at worse I put on maybe 10 to 15lbs. Should be easily taken care of in theory.

I have been at 132lbs for maybe almost a month now. I will try your advice on not doing cardio before weights. I also really push during my workouts because that's how I am, perhaps I need to be more patient and not demand instant results. I expect it because I used to get results very fast due to high metabolism but it has obviously slowed down over the years.

As for diet an average day I will have the following:

Breakfast:
Coffee with milk
1 to 1-1/2 cups Cottage cheese or 2% yogurt mixed with fresh fruit (I try to mix with the fruit you have on your recommended list such as grapes, peaches)
1 pc of whole grain toast with almond butter (just almonds, nothing else added)

Lunch:
Salad with feta cheese and a pc of protein. Usually chicken breast, sometimes lean pork. With a Blackberry balsamic dressing (lots).
Diet coke

Snacks:
2 or 3 pc of fruit
granola bar
Coffee wilk milk
or (repeat of breakfast, the yogurt with fruit cup)

Dinner:
Here's where it gets kind of irregular.

I'll eat a little protein or carbs before I workout and then after I get home which is often after 10pm I'll eat a little protein/carbs as well. Also I don't measure these, which is probably bad lol. I will generally follow with Fresca or Diet Coke.

* Somedays I admit I will cheat and eat salt&vinegar almonds or even a few pieces of potato chips. Not making excuses but I do that to satisfy my cravings so that I don't go nuts and hit up a burger joint and get fries with gravy and a milk shake. About once every two weeks, there will be a night out where some alcohol will be consumed as well. I guess I need to stop that all together....
lol.gif
ps - I forget to drink water often, perhaps that is also bad too.

Indian Barbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger9
Great thank you so much for your reponse
smiles.gif

I definitely want to be healthy forever. I have been able to maintain great shape/health in the past. Often times it's for a good year or two. But I have had issues with depression, and when that hits me, I shut down by not exercising and I engage in emotional eating. I'm definitely not complaining because at worse I put on maybe 10 to 15lbs. Should be easily taken care of in theory.

I have been at 132lbs for maybe almost a month now. I will try your advice on not doing cardio before weights. I also really push during my workouts because that's how I am, perhaps I need to be more patient and not demand instant results. I expect it because I used to get results very fast due to high metabolism but it has obviously slowed down over the years.

As for diet an average day I will have the following:

Breakfast:
Coffee with milk
1 to 1-1/2 cups Cottage cheese or 2% yogurt mixed with fresh fruit (I try to mix with the fruit you have on your recommended list such as grapes, peaches)
1 pc of whole grain toast with almond butter (just almonds, nothing else added)

Lunch:
Salad with feta cheese and a pc of protein. Usually chicken breast, sometimes lean pork. With a Blackberry balsamic dressing (lots).
Diet coke

Snacks:
2 or 3 pc of fruit
granola bar
Coffee wilk milk
or (repeat of breakfast, the yogurt with fruit cup)

Dinner:
Here's where it gets kind of irregular.

I'll eat a little protein or carbs before I workout and then after I get home which is often after 10pm I'll eat a little protein/carbs as well. Also I don't measure these, which is probably bad lol. I will generally follow with Fresca or Diet Coke.

* Somedays I admit I will cheat and eat salt&vinegar almonds or even a few pieces of potato chips. Not making excuses but I do that to satisfy my cravings so that I don't go nuts and hit up a burger joint and get fries with gravy and a milk shake. About once every two weeks, there will be a night out where some alcohol will be consumed as well. I guess I need to stop that all together....
lol.gif
ps - I forget to drink water often, perhaps that is also bad too.

Get a whey protein powder as a supplement and have that when you can't eat protein for dinner and straight after a workout. Looks like thats what's lacking in your diet. You need protein to build muscles and you need to build muscles to burn fat! Also those granola bars contain lots of sugar...

ginger9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian Barbie
Get a whey protein powder as a supplement and have that when you can't eat protein for dinner and straight after a workout. Looks like thats what's lacking in your diet. You need protein to build muscles and you need to build muscles to burn fat! Also those granola bars contain lots of sugar...

Great I'll definitely check that out. Thanks again! Btw, I weighted myself this weekend at the gym after deciding I was going to be more patient and not expect instant results and I was really surprised to see that I dropped 2 lbs. I'm not sure if it was all water or what but I'll take it. More importantly I can see results now, my arms look more toned and not chubby like before...I still have a ways to go in terms of getting rid of fat and becoming toned but I won't be so easily discouraged now!

LivestrongH2

I am starting Body For Life diet/exercise program tomorrow and it is basically the same thing as what you are describing!

Sass

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivestrongH2
I am starting Body For Life diet/exercise program tomorrow and it is basically the same thing as what you are describing!

I did this program and it worked. It got me strong and fit...I then moved onto The New Rules of Lifting for Women and that too disciplined me as well.

I wish you much success with this program. It's a good one!
thmbup.gif

Latest posts